British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Hi

Just booked to go to my first gp abroad, it's also booked as my stag doo, can anyone give me the low down on Prague? Food and Drink cheap? Easy to get to stadium etc?

hi

i went 2 years ago with 5 other guys and we had a great time !

trams go to the stadium, but don't ask me for tram numbers as we followed the crowds on the way out.

beer very good ! :P

if your on a stag do, go to the caberet shows(strip) for £8 ENTRY including 5 half pints of beer.

I'll put this in here, more people likely to see it here then the other thread.

Pater Ballinger wrote this quite a vew years ago, we followed it then and found are way round no problem. We have been several times since and nothing has changed.

Upon clearing passport control, you will pass through some automatic frosted glass doors, leading you into the Entrance to the Airport.

To your left will be an automatic money exchange machine, to your right some stairs leading upwards. Infront, and to the right are car rental desks, public information desks, etc.

It is from the public information desks that you can purchase 3 day (or even 5 day) public transport passes.

These give you access to buses, trams, and underground.

Exit the building via the front exit, and go straight ahead over 2 or 3 zebra crossings, following the signs for the 119 Bus.

After 100 yards or so, the roads conclude with a standard road, from where you can pick up the 119 Bus. The 119 Bus runs from the airport to the underground stop at “Dejvicka”, and only to “Dejvicka”, i.e. it is the Airport Shuttle.

Once aboard the bus, stamp your travel passes in the on board ticket machines. This validates your tickets, and the period starts from the moment you stamp your tickets.

Dejvicka is where you can pick up the Underground (Green Line – Line A), and is about 3-4 miles journey on the bus from the airport. It takes about 15-20 minutes.

Just get off when everyone gets off. The bus goes no further than Dejvicka, apart from back to the Airport.

Being foreign, the bus will be on the correct side of the road for the Underground station.

Go into Dejvicka Station, watch out for the fast escalators as they are easy to fall down after a tiring journey especially when you are loaded up with cases. (There speaks the voice of experience :!: )

Once in Dejvicka station, continue down to the platforms, the train will only be going in one direction from Dejvicka, and indeed arriving from one direction, as Dejvicka is the first stop on the line.

You will not need to stamp your tickets again at any time whilst in Prague, just look after them, and if a ordinary looking bloke (ie. No uniform) approaches you and shows you a “Sherrifs” Badge, he will be a ticket inspector, just show him your ticket and you’ll be OK.

Travel on the Underground from Dejvicka all the way through to the most appropriate station to your hotel / accomodation.

Stops on Line A are as follows.

Dejvicka

Hradcanska

Malostranska

Staromestska

Mustek

Muzeum

Hlavni Madazi

Nam Miru

Jiriho z Podebrad (the TV Tower stop)

Flora

Zelivskeho

Strasnicka

Stalka

Undergound map http://www.czech-travel-guide.com/mapview.htm?act=metro

Getting to Stadion Marketa

Take the Underground to Malostranska station (Green line).

Exit Malostranska station to street level, where you can pick up the No.22 tram which will take you up to the area of Prague called “Brevnov”. This is where the Speedway is.

The tram lines run in the middle of the road, accordingly the tram stops are in the middle also. You will need the No.22 that is going uphill, rather than the one going downhill back into town.

Once on the No.22, watch for the stops on the onboard displays, and the maps that are in the carriages. There are around 20 stops beofre you'll need to get off, but its a nice route up past the Castle. You need to get off at the stop "Vypich", rather than "Brevnov". You will see the stadium up on the hill from Brevnov, but Vypich is closer to the Stadion Marketa.

Hi

Just booked to go to my first gp abroad, it's also booked as my stag doo, can anyone give me the low down on Prague? Food and Drink cheap? Easy to get to stadium etc?

As long as you stay within a 5 minute walk of one of the squares (Wenceslas or Old Town) you're clsoe to most things. Wenceslas Square is a LOT cheaper than Old Town Square and seems to have all the "caberet" clubs, just walk around both and you'll be invited into many clubs, never just say yes and go in, even if you wnat to go in! Say no, try and get in cheaper or get extra drinks :D The choice of food and drink is quite varied and there's plenty of it at very good prices, there's a few more expensive places but they're still good value by UK prices, depends exactly what you want really. Just don't eat or drink by the Astrological clock! I think we paid about £3 for a beer! :blink::mad::rolleyes:

Fun game to play is which person in your group gets offered the most charlie whilst walking around the squares! They're clearly the one that looks most like a smack head!

Go to a place called chillis (SCB or Woody will confirm the name for me!!). It is buy one get one free on drinks...that is the only good thing about it B)

To find the best bars don't be scared to get lost! Just raid every street! Same with clubs. The well known ones and touristy ones are all around Charles Bridge though.

There is always somewhere to get food at 4am in the morning. The fast food places are 24/7 basically!

Its also a great place to get sporting goods!!!

Lora desperately wanted to go into these shops and buy a some Czech ice hockey goods. SCB did a sterling job of keeping her out.

It all became clear on December 25th!! Thanks SCB :D

Prague is an all round great place for a GP weekend.

Enjoy

Go to a place called chillis (SCB or Woody will confirm the name for me!!). It is buy one get one free on drinks...that is the only good thing about it  B)

I'm affraid I don't know the name, I was just appaled that Lora and buzzy bee where dragging me into such a seedy establishment :P:approve::D

Its also a great place to get sporting goods!!!

or a gas mask, or a suit of armour. Y'know...just if you need one. :blink::D

Incidentally, I paid more for my Sparta Praha football shirt than I did for my Ceska one. Would have thought it'd have been the other way around. :unsure:

What hotels would people suggest in Prague? Where do you other forumers like to stay?

There is so much choice, all depends how much you want to spend, if you don't want to spend much some of the pensions are ok, basic but they have a clean bed and bathrooms not much else. Last year we stayed in Hotel City Center, probably about 3* rating. Was ok, decent breakfast buffet, just off the old town square.

What hotels would people suggest in Prague? Where do you other forumers like to stay?

Unlike many other GP's Prague doesnt have a 'forum' hotel due to its size and huge choice.

Last year we rented a flat - dont know about this year as we will only just be back off a major holiday. Not sure the office will be to impressed with all my requests for time off. :D

Unlike many other GP's Prague doesnt have a 'forum' hotel due to its size and huge choice.

Last year we rented a flat - dont know about this year as we will only just be back off a major holiday. Not sure the office will be to impressed with all my requests for time off. :D

Just been looking at hotel and apartment prices for this year. Not even thought of looking at flights! It seems more expensive then it has before. Maybe it is no GPs for me this year then :sad: