British Speedway Forum
speedway2006

Sam Ermolenko Farewell 18th March 2007

Just been informed the air ambulance has landed at the M6-M5 junction, dont have anymore details but this cause a few travel problems

So - layer up warm or group hug!!!  :D

And it IS cold in the wind. Sitting inside or in the car is nice and warm, step into the wind and it's not so nice!

Penguins it is!!

Just been informed the air ambulance has landed at the M6-M5 junction, dont have anymore details but this cause a few travel problems

Theres also an accident on the M5 northbound in the outside lane about 15 miles from the M6 junction, so anyone heading north might want to leave now, or avoid the motorway!

We've having showers of soft hail. They are pretty frequent, and mostly pretty heavy. However, they are short-lived and won't cause any problems for racing.

When the sun comes out it doesn't feel too bad. When the showers come along the temp. drop by a few degrees in a matter of a few mintues. The wind then feels that much colder, and it's not too pleasant. But like I said the showers blow through in a few minutes.

Traffic info. here.

Weather info. here, and here.

KOPIOWANIE TYLKO ZA ZGOD¥ ADMINISTRATORA

All Updates will appear in this window, please feel free to post any comments below.

Texter: WayneKable

Updater: Fozzie

Qualifer Line-up

1. Travis McGowan 3, 3 = 6

2. Chris Neath 0, 1 = 2

3. Chris Kerr 1, 1 = 2

4. Steve Johnston 2, 3 = 5

5. Ronnie Correy 3, R = 3

6. Brent Werner 0, 0 = 0

7. Dean Barker 2, 2 = 4

8. Mark Lemon 1, 2 = 3

Heat Results

Heat 01: McGowan, Johnston, Kerr, Neath 58.52

Heat 02: Correy, Barker, Lemon, Werner 58.65

Heat 03: Re-run McGowan, Barker, Kerr, Correy ef 59.13

Heat 04: Johnston, Lemon, Neath, Werner 58.92

Comments:

Line Up and format confirmed.

Wayne Now at trackside. Struggling to see track. Theres loads of people and crammed into a small space. Weather is freezing and snowing. Track looks patchy.

Heat 1: Kerr lifted badly 2nd bend but passed Neath.

Heat 2: From Gate

Heat 3: Stopped. Correy fell 1st bend all4back. Correy ef bend 4 lap 3 when 3rd

Main Event

KOPIOWANIE TYLKO ZA ZGOD¥ ADMINISTRATORA

1ST PETER KARLSSON

2ND Greg Hancock

3RD Jason Crump

All Updates will appear in this window, please feel free to post any comments below.

Texter: WayneKable/ Mummy Fairy.

Updater: Fozzie

Line-up

1. Jason Crump 3, 3, 2, 2 = 10

2. Joe Screen 1, 3, 2, 3 = 9

3. Fredrik Lindgren 2, 1, 0, 2 = 5

4. Scott Nicholls 0, 2, 3, 3 = 8

5. Greg Hancock R, 1, 3, 3 = 7

6. Billy Hamill 1, 1, 3, 1 = 6

7. Leigh Adams 2, 2, 1, 3 = 8

8. Travis McGowan 3, 3, 2, 2 = 10

9. Chris Harris 2, 2, 1, 2 = 7

10. Billy Janniro 1, F, 2, 1 = 4

11. Peter Karlsson 3, 3, 1, 0 = 7

12. Dean Barker 0, 1, 0, 0 = 1

13. Charlie Gjedde 1, M, 0, 1 = 2

14. Andreas Jonsson 2, 2, 3, 1 = 8

15. David Norris 3, F, 1, 0 = 4

16. Steve Johnston 0, 0, 0, n = 0

Heat Results

Heat 01: Crump, Lindgren, Screen, Nicholls 59.43

Heat 02: McGowan, Adams, Hamill, Hancock ef 59.65

Heat 03: Karlsson, Harris, Janniro, Barker 59.83

Heat 04: Norris, Jonsson, Gjedde, Johnston 59.69

Heat 05: Crump, Harris, Hancock, Gjedde X 60.67

Heat 06: Screen, Jonson, Hamill, Janniro fell Aw

Heat 07: Karlsson, Adams, Lindgren, Norris fell 60.80

Heat 08: McGowan, Nicholls, Barker, Johnston 61.19

MATCH RACE: Ermolenko beats Penhall

Heat 09: Hamill, Crump, Karlsson, Johnston 60.59

Heat 10: Hancock, Screen, Norris, Barker

Heat 11: Jonsson, Mcgowan, Harris, Lindgren

Heat 12: Nicholls, Janniro, Adams, Gjedde

MATCH RACE: Penhall beat Ermolenko

Heat 13: Adams, Crump, Jonsson, Barker

Heat 14: Screen, McGowan, Gjedde, Karlsson

Heat 15: Hancock, Lindgren, Janniro, Johnston N/s

Heat 16: Nicholls, Harris, Hamill, Norris

Semi Final 1: Crump, Hancock, Adams, Screen ef

Semi Final 2: Karlsson, Nicholls, Mcgowan, Jonsson ef.

GRAND FINAL: Karlsson, Hancock, Crump, Nicholls

Comments:

Line up and format to be confirmed.

Heat 2: Hancock ef when 1st.

Heat 5: Gjedde didnt come out. machine problem.

Heat 6: Awarded after Janniro fell lap 4 bend 1 when 3rd.

Heat 7: Norris fell when last.

Match Race: Ermolenko forgot to turn fuel on. Penhall nearly took 2nd bend fence out.

Match Race 2: 2 laps only.

Heat 14: Peter leading for 3 laps then ef Screen and Trav passing several times before Screen took the points.

Semi Final 1 Line up: Crump, Hancock, Screen, Adams Screen didnt make it passed 2nd bend 1st lap.

Semi Final 2 Line up: Nicholls, Karlsson, McGowan, Jonsson Karlsson won and was allowed in race despite been over 2 mins. and AJ had ef on last lap.

Grand Final: Nicholls was in 2nd but bike problems. Good meeting with all riders now on centre green for presentation.

Been home for about 30 minutes now and my fingers have now thawed out enough to post.

It was a great day but unfortunately spoilt by the weather.

We had the snow storms of all snow storms which saw many people decide to leave, which wasnt a suprise because if you had kids you neded to go somewhere. You couldnt get into the bar areas and if the fire alarm were to have gone off I dread to think what would have happened.

It was very nice to have the entrance fee still at £15 which for so many star riders was good value and although the programme was £5 it was worh it - until it got very wet!!

But food and beverage was a rip off. £2 for a small cone of chips and nearly £2 for a hot chocolate (so I was told, after which I didnt bother going to get one). Which on a day like to day was ridiculous.

But it was a great send off for Sam and it very well attended.

There was some good racing and then some steady racing after the fall of snow. No-one wanting to take chances.

We didnt stay for the evening entertainment although we wanted to but it was SO cold we just wanted to get home and into the warm.

So a good day out and well worth the money we spent. After all no-one, not even Sam can control the weather!!! :D

Just want echo Sandies comments.

Was an honour being there to see the great man off, the end may not have been as great as some expected but I thought it was great looking back. sam riding around the track for 4 laps pulling wheelies in the pitch black with just a spotlight to follow him.

I may have been freezing cold, I may have hand to take out a bank loan for a burger and a bacon roll (tasted great tho') but I enjoyed myself and would happily do that EVERY day.

Loved the heat where Joe and Trav had a "ding dong battle" (hopefully Millard won't sue me) and the result was perfect :D

Also, got to meet SteveBrum, only breifly but he's not a that bad really ;)

What a shame the blizzard buggered up the firework thing at the end!

Must admit it was certainly an eventful meeting - more for the weather than anything else - but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

I wasn't feeling as 'emotional' as I expected - probably as my facial muscles were frozen - well, not until Sam did his speech and his voice started to break........sad02.gif

A great rider line up to honour one of the greats in the sport (IMHO THE Greatest) - as the saying goes....we will not see his like again!

Farewell Sam and thanks for the memories - - which in your case are far too many to name! sad02.giflove25.gif

Edited by lupus

I'd first like to thank superguest for the loan of the gloves. By about heat 3 I thought my fingers were going to drop off. She had two pairs.

It was an enjoyable occasion but surely would have been better held in June?

No matter. The best couple of races came mid meeting, Hancock V Lindgren & Screen V McGowan.

There must surely be a stewards enquiry into how PK got gate 1 in the final, when Nicholls & Crump scored more during the meeting.

Impressive were McGowan & Screen, Joe Haines also in the young guns race looked quick - only a couple of seconds of the times set by the worlds best.

Lindgren's move to jawa looks iffy, he's giving away 5 metres in the first 5 metres. He along with Jonsson, PK, Screen had new different style helmets to what they wore in previous seasons and it'll take a while for them to be instantly recogniseable again.

Good to see Bruce on a bike again. :)

And though it was a frozen farewell rather than a flaming one, the effect of the big blasts of flames on the centre green as the riders went down the back straight on the last lap of each heat was awesome. BSI take note. (It also provided a modicum of momentary heat).

Edited by Col

But food and beverage was a rip off. £2 for a small cone of chips and nearly £2 for a hot chocolate (so I was told, after which I didnt bother going to get one). Which on a day like to day was ridiculous.

I too though the prices were well over the top, but I was shocked to find out who they belonged to.

None other than former England International, John Davis who looks younger now than he did when he retired.

For those thst do feel the price was too much, you may get some satifaction that I puched JD in the face tonight.

It was by mistake as I turned around to point someone to the toilets as JD walked behind me.

I should add that he was never one of my favourite riders, but I spoke to him a number of times during the night and had a laugh with him about the accidental punch and found him a nice guy and in good spirits.

SAM'S FAREWELL

A sad thought that we will never see those unbelievable passes and team riding skills again, but was pleased to here Sam say he will be around for some time to come.

A cold night, but a good send off for a speedway legend with the attendance showing the admiration and respect he has built up in his 25 years of racing.

I got a coffee in the bar for 90p.

It wasn't as hot as I hoped, but it wasn't as bitter as I expected.

Good to see Bruce on a bike again

So he was there then, nowt about that in the updates!

Good luck to Sam in whatever he decides to do now ................

BSI take note

Take note ............. they don't hold the flipping patent to good speedway promotion you know, I think sometimes people believe that there wasn't any promotion until BSI appeared!!!!!! tch

Edited by Trees

Yes there was Trees.....

Between heat 8 and 9 there is the result of the match race between Sam and Bruce and again between heat 12 and 13, plus comments.

Yep Penhall was there but the 'match races' were no more than the two guys riding round 'pretending' to race! All good fun though! :D

Yep Penhall was there but the 'match races' were no more than the two guys riding round 'pretending' to race!  All good fun though!  :D

:blink: i would have loved just to of seen the best speedway rider ever,so what if it was a display match race.my god the blokes late 40s,hes better than any pom and to boot he changed the face of speedway in the early 80s.

you can keep all your other riders,penhall was the main man.

just think you lotl who went to wolverhampton,how lucky you were to see the man himself.

i would also like to thank bruce,sam,billy and greg for the kind help in spending time whilst at the meeting in signing the guards for the speedway riders benefit bike.

this sport could do with another 500 hundred riders just like them.

forget how much it cost and how much the chips cost,see the day for what it was.

your all dam lucky just for being there :unsure: