British Speedway Forum
speedboy

Oxford V Sheffield

Can anyone help me with full heat by heat details for the oxford v sheffield league meting from 16th april 1965 41-36

many thanks

I will dig out my Speedway Star for this match and will post the heat details here for you shortly.

Here's what you want.

Oxford : Arne Pander 12, Ron How 9, John Bishop 6, Eddie Reeves 5, John Belcher 5, Ken Vale 3, Wayne Barry 1

Sheffield : David Crane 9, John Dews 8, Alan Jay 7, Tommy Roper 6, Clive Featherby 5, Derek Jay 1, Bob Paulson 0

1 - Bishop, How, Featherby, A. Jay (nf) 67.0

2 - Crane, Reeves, D. Jay, Barry 68.6

3 - Pander, Dews, Vale, Paulson 67.8

4 - Belcher, How, Featherby (nf), D. Jay (nf) 74.8

5 - Pander, Dews, Crane, Vale 67.6

6 - Featherby, A.Jay, Reeves, Belcher 69.2

7 - Bishop, How, Dews, Paulson 67.6

8 - Crane, Belcher, Barry, D.Jay (nf) 70.8

9 - Pander, A.Jay, Featherby, Vale 66.8

10 - Roper, Dews, Reeves, Belcher 68.0

11- How, Crane, Roper, Bishop 69.2

12 - A.Jay, Vale, Reeves, Paulson 69.4

13 - Pander, Roper, Dews, Bishop 68.0

If you need any other information please let me know.

Seeing David Crane as top Sheffield scorer prompted my memory, David was a hot prospect for a while, I think he rode for Exeter in last year of PL and was related to Cyril Crane-he was regarded as a real up and comer but I can't recollect what happened-did he quit early, get injured or what-anyone out there in Speedwayland know what happened.

Once called 'the next Peter Craven', David Crane had a bad accident at Leicester in early 1968 when riding for Kings Lynn, and never regained his form. To the best of my knowledge his final season was at Oxford as reserve in 1969, sadly he was very out of touch at the end.

Edited by miro

Thanx Miro that answers the question-by the way looking at the Oxford v Sheffield scoresheet I noticed Bob Paulson's name-I know the poor chap committed suicide. That got me thinking of others who had ended their lives and I came up with quite a few names which leads me to wonder whether a higher than average number of riders did this compared to the general population and whether the sort of person who takes up speedway is perhaps more volatile, up and down, call it what you will than the general run of folks. Anybody got any views on this or who also have thought they noticed this.

Thanx Miro that answers the question-by the way looking at the Oxford v Sheffield scoresheet I noticed Bob Paulson's name-I know the poor chap committed suicide. That got me thinking of others who had ended their lives and I came up with quite a few names which leads me to wonder whether a higher than average number of riders did this compared to the general population and whether the sort of person who takes up speedway is perhaps more volatile, up and down, call it what you will than the general run of folks. Anybody got any views on this or who also have thought they noticed this.

It's something i've noticed over the years.

Not sure if it's a dispropotionate amount compared to other walks of life, it does appear to be though.