British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kent Boy

The Late Martyn Piddock

Dont know if it is the right one, but there was a MartIn (Notice the I not Y.) J. Piddock registered in ASHFORD Kent in the final quarter of 1947 and the mothers maiden name was RICH.

Unfortunately I remember these days only too well....I was in Holland at the time on holiday and I saw a poster on the road stating Denmark v. West Ham at Tilburg & Amsterdam....I knew nothing about West Ham going to Holland to race, even being a West Ham fan. So I decided to take a chance and find out if it really was...well obviously it was...I went to both meetings and even had chats with the riders.....imagine my shock the next day when all these riders were killed.

Sad, sad days.

I remember that awfull day they died, I used to drive a lorry as I was comeing up to Aldgate I saw the plagards saying speedway riders killed in road crash I was choked, it was on a Tuesday and we were set to race against Wembly lions the meeting was cancelled and the flags flew at halve mast over Custom House it was so sad.