British Speedway Forum
BobC

California Speedway,berkshire.photos

There is an excellent,although small article in this weeks Speedway Star,concerning California Poppies.(see page 22)

I recently paid a visit to the site,on Sunday 21/01/07,and took the following photo's.I would welcome any comments about the track's geography.For instance,where were the pits?Ist turn,start etc.

Use the following link to access some of the photo's.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Lofqvist72

I have been in touch with former riders,Bob Andrews and Tommy Sweetman in New Zealand and they think the pits are where photo 1 is and the start is approx where photo's 3-8 are.

I did find some large lumps of concrete on the opposite side of the circuit,photos 14,15,and 16.Were these part of the old style concrete starting area's in use at the time?

Anyone venturing there will need to be wearing wellies,as the ground is very boggy.Some places are reasonably dry,but in the main,very soft under foot.

I had to venture the 'wrong' side of the barbed wire fence to obtain some of the shots,and believe me,you can easily go up to your knees in the bog!

Anyway,I hope this helps shed some light into one of the more forgotten speedway arenas.

Edited by BobC

Nice slide show,they don't make fences like that anymore !!!

Great track in pre-war years. Lloyd Goffe was the big star there at one-time.

Fascinating photos. Amazing, also, to see spectators leaning directly on the wire safety fence. Talk about getting close to the racing.

I remember visiting the site of Canterbury Speedway and taking some photos once. Your imagination really runs riot wandering round the site of an old Speedway Stadium.

I believe there is a small section on California in the book 'Speedway In the Thames Valley'. I have the book somewhere, so I'll see if I can find it later. I can never find the books I'm looking for when I need them though!

I used to live in Woodley near Reading and we used to take the kids to the Country Park there at California in the Summer. One day I went on a scouting mission on my own, leaving the wife and kids at the pool and went to look for the speedway track. I found much the same as you although seem to remember more of the fencing being open and uncovered by all the brush that seems to be there from your pictures. This would have been in about 1997 or 98.

Even then, it was difficult to see just where the full oval once was, but the corregated iron at the base of the mesh fence sticks in my mind.

Fascinating. Thanks for the reminders.

http://www.sliderphil.netfirms.com

http://www.geocities.com/robnade2001/Californiapoppies.html

for 1954 photos

maybe somemore scattered through www.speedwayarchives.com

It was your website that reminded me that the place was still there.I first found the place back in 97/98,when I moved to nearby Bracknell.At that time,there was a lot more to see,as Sliderphil says.I took loads of photos then,but I have misplaced them in the move back to sunny Poole!

From the photos on Bob Andrews site,it looks like it was a great track.I like to get up and close to the action,but I dont know if Id like to be as close as some of those folk!

Thanks to Bob Andrews,Tom Sweetman and Reg Fearman for their valued input in trying to piece things together.

A few things that might be of interest. The track operated from 1934 as Longmoor Training track. California Poppies rode 1954-56 in the Southern Area League, and the track operated in 1957 on an open licence.

Track Length: 334 yards

Among their riders were Swindon legend Mike Keen.

A few things that might be of interest. The track operated from 1934 as Longmoor Training track. California Poppies rode 1954-56 in the Southern Area League, and the track operated in 1957 on an open licence.

Track Length: 334 yards

Among their riders were Swindon legend Mike Keen.

Also remember Tommy Sweetman, Eric Hockaday, Gil Goldfinch, Ross Gilbertson, Ron Walton, Ron Sharp, Ted Pankhurst, George Bason, Trevor Davies, Pete Mould, Billy Haynes, George Baker, Tom Albrey...oh happy days. :)

Edited by speedyguy

Very interesting photo's on Bob's site.

1954 - who are the riders here? I can pick out Jimmy Gleed, Gil Goldfinch, Peter Mould, Bob Andrews and Ronnie Sharp.

Is George Bason there? maybe Webb, Albery and Pankhurst?

Very interesting photo's on Bob's site.

1954 - who are the riders here? I can pick out Jimmy Gleed, Gil Goldfinch, Peter Mould, Bob Andrews and Ronnie Sharp.

Is George Bason there? maybe Webb, Albery and Pankhurst?

I remember George BASON especially well. He was a really lovely guy and away from speedway had a small holding at Marlow, Bucks. Also used to do some speedway engine tuning, car and motorcycle spares. He was also a great supporter of Oxford - where of course he rode in 1939 and 1940.

Ronnie and Keith Webb - both proteges of Ted Pankhurst, along with John Lalley, Al Holliday and Johnnie Gronow were also others from 1954. I also remember an Irish rider Mike O'Connor, qho was a protege of Stan Tebby (also a rider) and the dad of Jim Tebby.

My youth! seems to be rekindled here.

PS: I think the rider 1954 team second from left is another Webb (not related) 'Jumbo' Webb while bottom right kneeling may be George Baker. Not certain. It was 52 years ago and I have seen a lot of riders over the years since then.

Edited by speedyguy

I had the pleasure of meeting Ron Walton recently.

He rode for California in 1956 and also 1957 when they raced at Aldershot.

He has some photos from his racing days which he plans to make copies of.

I hope to get some of these and will post them if and when I do.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ron Walton recently.

He rode for California in 1956 and also 1957 when they raced at Aldershot.

He has some photos from his racing days which he plans to make copies of.

I hope to get some of these and will post them if and when I do.

Yes. I remember Ron Walton well. He graduated to California when demobbed from the Army, where he served in Germany. It was there that he took up speedway and grass track racing - proper stuff, not on the army tracks that were around at that time.

I also still regularly meet Al Holliday, one of the Cali juniors in 1954 and 1955. He was later a machine examiner at Eastbourne, then mechanic to Maury McDermott. I am certain Al also rode a few times at either Ipswich or Rayleigh (or both) in the early 1960s.

Al was one of the starting marshalls at Wimbledon in the late 1950s. He also had a Wembley World Final appearance in the 1950s (true) but only on the starting area! :lol:

I have been to California today, not the one in Scotland or USA but in Berkshire. Came back with muddy jeans and shoes. Couldn't find the track although we were told it was hard to spot by someone in the cafe. Will try again in the summer when its less wet, if it gets dry there :unsure:

In fact, the person in the cafe did say that there will be a "speedway day" some time this year, with a guided walk around the area and bikes etc on display.

Does anyone know the date of this?