British Speedway Forum
BobC

California Speedway,berkshire.photos

In fact, the person in the cafe did say that there will be a "speedway day" some time this year, with a guided walk around the area and bikes etc on display.

Does anyone know the date of this?

Well, let's hope it's better publicised than the last venture.

I can still recall two entrances to the track...one if you came "along te back way" from Wokingham, the other if you used the nine-mile ride to get there.

Really a wonderful time in speedway for me!

Edited by speedyguy

Well, let's hope it's better publicised than the last venture.

Can't disagree with that, but I have to say the last venture was clearly well received at The Country Park, and the lady we spoke to was very enthusiastic about this years' event.

Can't disagree with that, but I have to say the last venture was clearly well received at The Country Park, and the lady we spoke to was very enthusiastic about this years' event.

Kev, I will give you the privelege of looking for the track in the summer. I will stay in the car and guard it. My boss told me there is alot of snakes in that grass in the summer, big ones :shock:

My boss told me there is alot of snakes in that grass in the summer, big ones

It's only the Adders that you really have to worry about. All the rest are not poisonous!

Seriously though, I wish I could be there. Living 3500 miles away prohibits me from being involved in what will probably be a great day. Good luck finding the track; it was hard enough 9 years ago!

Phil.

In fact, the person in the cafe did say that there will be a "speedway day" some time this year, with a guided walk around the area and bikes etc on display.

Hi All,

There certainly will be another reunion there later this year and it will be better publicised than the last one as that was organised in a bit of a hurry.

I would be very interested to get in touch with Lofqvist72 if he should read this or any other one know how I can contact him please.

I wrote the aforementioned article in the Speedway Star in February and was part of the organisation of it.

I can be contacted by e-mail: stuart.towner@blueyonder.co.uk (Editor of 'the Voice', the official journal for Friends of Speedway) or by posting a reply to this.

Thank you.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Lofqvist72 is my user name on the Poole Speedway Website,in honour of my all time favourite rider,Christer Lofqvist.

Please see my pm for my email details.

Regards,

Bob

There is an excellent,although small article in this weeks Speedway Star,concerning California Poppies.(see page 22)

I recently paid a visit to the site,on Sunday 21/01/07,and took the following photo's.I would welcome any comments about the track's geography.For instance,where were the pits?Ist turn,start etc.

Use the following link to access some of the photo's.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Lofqvist72

I have been in touch with former riders,Bob Andrews and Tommy Sweetman in New Zealand and they think the pits are where photo 1 is and the start is approx where photo's 3-8 are.

I did find some large lumps of concrete on the opposite side of the circuit,photos 14,15,and 16.Were these part of the old style concrete starting area's in use at the time?

Anyone venturing there will need to be wearing wellies,as the ground is very boggy.Some places are reasonably dry,but in the main,very soft under foot.

I had to venture the 'wrong' side of the barbed wire fence to obtain some of the shots,and believe me,you can easily go up to your knees in the bog!

Anyway,I hope this helps shed some light into one of the more forgotten speedway arenas.

I have some Californie Speedway programmes at home somewhere that were given to me by a former rider there George Major when I was a lad in the 1960s.

Brian

I have some Californie Speedway programmes at home somewhere that were given to me by a former rider there George Major when I was a lad in the 1960s.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

Any chance of having sight of them please?

Stu

An interesting development tonight at Poole Speedway.I was happily discussing this thread with friends.It turns out that Bob Andrews will be in this country for the British GP at Cardiff.He will be here until early August.

Stu,

If you are trying to organise something,wouldnt it be great to get Bob along to add some first hand knowledge,and of course reminiss with former riders?

I will happily lend as hand where possible,and might be able to arrange a display of machinery as well.

Let me know.

An interesting development tonight at Poole Speedway.I was happily discussing this thread with friends.It turns out that Bob Andrews will be in this country for the British GP at Cardiff.He will be here until early August.

Stu,

If you are trying to organise something,wouldnt it be great to get Bob along to add some first hand knowledge,and of course reminiss with former riders?

I will happily lend as hand where possible,and might be able to arrange a display of machinery as well.

Let me know.

Hi All,

There will be another gathering at the Cali track on 12th October. Please bring along all your memories and memorabilia etc to share with us and to go towards the book we are putting together. Anything will be gratefully received and you will of course be acknowledged in the book.

Best wishes,

Stu ('phone 0208-397 6599)

I've heard about it; I think that it is going to be in November. I'll post more details when I have them