British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Looking For A Douglas

My friend Ian Huntly has supplied a picture of his Dads bike rebuilt in the 1950's

Ian says: -

In the late 50's, Dad bought a big box full of motorcycle parts which proved to be a Douglas Speedway bike !! Some parts were damaged or missing so I remember Dad fabricating new bits in his garage. He gave the bike a very special gear box and some special-metal pushrods. He sat down and built this race bike which ended up being entered at Druridge Bay Sand Track, ridden on the sand by a rider Dad picked for the "job". It was a heavy bike with straight through exhaust but it bump started immediately. It sounded glorious. Dad sold it to the local grass track sidecar champion who added a sidecar and did well with it for a couple of years.

I wish I knew where it is now !! Can you help please ?? email JOHN

I have put the picture on my first bikes page on www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk have a look and see if you can help us locate an amazing old bike