British Speedway Forum
Kent Boy

Barrow

That would be 74/75. But sid never lived in barrow.

sorry i worded it wrong,should of said sid was around the corner working on his bike at someones house.Did sid have a brother mick or not?

sorry i worded it wrong,should of said sid was around the corner working on his bike at someones house.Did sid have a brother mick or not?

Sid stayed at Ray Gedling's in Askam, who's son Lee was barrow mascot.

Mick is in blackpool.

Yes, I was there. just about summed up the whole operation really. Think he over revved the tractor which blew the lights. Very depressing night.

If memory serves me correctly, it was freezing, the pits had blown away in a strong wind, there were about 6 heats run in about 90 minutes due falls & tape exclusions, the tractor they were using ran out of petrol and then the lights blew. My brother & sister in law (who hate speedway) remember it to this day and have never forgiven me for dragging them down there.

A great little place which was a bit like Buxton, and definitely the most scenic track I have ever been to. The views were awesome.

Went to Loomer Road recently for the Stoke-Rye House Premier League meeting and there was a large Barrow Rockets banner hanging on the backstraight in the old Bombers colours of Blue and Yellow. So obviously there are still people from Barrow following the sport and Adam Roynon in particular. The youngster is probably the best speedway prospect to come out of Cumbria since Steve Lawson. Just a shame there isn't a team in Barrow any longer..... :(

But maybe one day we might see speedway return to Furness if only at Conference level. With the Northside Training Track here in Workington they would have a a good source of young talent to recruit and it would great to have the Comets-Bombers/Furness Flyers/Blackhawks rivalry renewed!!!

Agree with the coments about Park Road, along with Buxton it's definitely the most scenic track Ive ever been to.... :)

To be honest with the relatively successful relaunch of Workington, I am surprised that Barrow hasn't appeared again in some shape or form. Bu never say never.... remember we appeared again!

The local newspaper in Barrow did a feature a couple of months ago on Speedway nights at Holker Street and printed a photo of the old Barrow Bombers. The article prompted quite a bit of response from readers and I think threre would definitely be enough interest and support for a Buxton-like speedway tack to operate in the Furness area at Conference level .........

Just needs a Tony Mole type figure to take up the initiative!! :rolleyes:

I was at Terry Kelly's place a few weeks ago, he's exactly the same as when he was racing, still mad as a hatter and still riding bikes fast (road ones), he's a roofer in Manchester and is still a good laugh, what a character.

That's an interesting name to surface. Terry Kelly was a great trier who deserved more success than he got. You say he's working as a roofer now - wasn't he at one time a meat porter in Manchester's equivalent of London's Smithfield?

Conference league doesn't need a Tony Mole, I think the cheapest may have been Carmarthen of recent times. If the crowds come and kids want to learn to ride, it should pay for itself. :D

Conference league doesn't need a Tony Mole, I think the cheapest may have been Carmarthen of recent times. If the crowds come and kids want to learn to ride, it should pay for itself.  :D

Next season you will have Northside,Workington not too far away.

That's an interesting name to surface. Terry Kelly was a great trier who deserved more success than he got. You say he's working as a roofer now - wasn't he at one time a meat porter in Manchester's equivalent of London's Smithfield?

I belive he was in the 70s, recently did some roofing work for me, if you saw him now he looks exactly the same and a sound bloke, really into bikes still and owns a couple of monsters which he likes to frighten himself on, mad as a hatter. :lol:

The big problem with getting speedway back in Barrow would be a track! That problem is non-trivial.

If it did start up again though I'd maybe move back there. Couldn't miss that!

I doubt if Workington could support both a Premier League team and a Conference side. A lot of fans find it expensive enough following the Comets let alone find extra cash for an additional Conference meeting each week.

A nursery type club in Barrow which has no speedway would be far more viable than 2 based in Workington..... :unsure: