British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tyke

Copenhagen Gp

Well I've just returned from Denmark after watching the GP on Saturday and then spending a lovely few days wandering around Copenhagen.  Apart from the GP, a wonderful time was had but there's no way I'll be going to another Danish GP.

We were sat amongst the Danish fans and there were some very friendly people around us however this is the first ever speedway meeting I've been to (in some 27'ish years) that I've seen any violence.  There was a fight between Danish fans where we were sitting and one steward trying to control it - other fans tried to intervene to calm things down but only ended up aggravating the situation.  It was resolved eventually - no thanks to the lack of stewards at the stadium but as I'm a cowardy custard (and a ladeeee!) it really did ruin the meeting for me. 

Once AJ won, myself and my mate decided to beat a hasty retreat as we could really see things kicking off so we left as soon as the final heat was finished.  On our way out we saw a chap being led away with blood pouring down his face.

I've always been proud of the fact that speedway doesn't have violence amongst fans and it is a family sport - I was so disappointed to see this on Saturday night and I really think the alcohol had a very large part to play in it.  Having said that, I've been to the last 2 GP's in Wroclaw, where lots of beer is drunk, and it's been fantastic with a wonderful atmosphere.  I'm not sure what the problem is but the Poles seem to accept it if their riders aren't doing too well whereas the Danes didn't seem to like it at all.

Sad to say but that's the Danish GP crossed off my speedway calendar now.  :(

thats a shame,i gather there was a lot of anti swedish feeling,after the recent football farce.

What a shame about the fight's near you :( ,i also think drinking had to do with it and also the facth that many people were there for the first time and havent been to a gp before,i talked to quite a few of them,my son and i had lots of chats with english and swedish and polish fans and we didnt se or heard about any problem at all....

I feel so sorry that a good gp was ruined for you and that you wont come back cause of this... :sad: and also sorry that we didnt meet up,would have loved to have had a chat with you ...

Our experience both friday and saturday was only good and positive(except the booing during the swedish national anthem) :angry: ...

What a shame about the fight's near you :(  ,i also think drinking had to do with it and also the facth that many people were there for the first time and havent been to a gp before,i talked to quite a few of them,my son and i had lots of chats with english and swedish and polish  fans and we didnt se or heard about any problem at all....

I feel so sorry that a good gp was ruined for you and that you wont come back cause of this... :sad: and also sorry that we didnt meet up,would have loved to have had a chat with you ...

Our experience both friday and saturday was only good and positive(except the booing during the swedish national anthem) :angry: ...

Oops - I'm a bit new at this, as you can tell!!

It was a shame about the fighting which we saw and although it didn't ruin my stay in Denmark, it did spoil the actual meeting for me.

I must admit the Danish people we actually spoke to were very friendly and helpful, it's just a shame a few spoiled it.

I'll definitely stick with the Polish GPs in future - I've been very lucky and had two wonderful trips with no trouble at all. Fingers crossed that Cardiff will be the same - really enjoyed last year and this year should be just as good!

I was also at Parken and I've got to say that we saw nothing untoward, the beer was flowing I admit, and to be fair all the Danes near us were very behaved (and momentarily annoyed)...............the Poles were more worse for the beer! :)

There was a little jibing between the Danes and Swedes, but they were all walking down the road together!..... :blink:

The only thing I was "disappointed with" was the failure for many Danes not to stand for the Swedish National Anthem (when Jonsson was on the podium). Some Danes were also horrified by this action.

I like to think that we made some new friends whilst we were there, Danish and otherwise........................we seemed to speak to so many fans, that's the good thing about speedway, it still is a friendly and family sport!.........shame that one or two can spoil things! Lets hope this is not the future!

We also were in Parken for the GP we were situated between bends 1 & 2, we also had a nightmare with the Danish fans, pints of beer being thrown from the back of the stands, my mum being verbally abused by a Danish fan for being English, no stewards around to keep everyone under control and the one that was looked about 14 and was more interested in eating hotdogs !

I wil NEVER EVER return to Denmark !!!!!!!!!!

We also were in Parken for the GP we were situated between bends 1 & 2, we also had a nightmare with the Danish fans, pints of beer being thrown from the back of the stands, my mum being verbally abused by a Danish fan for being English, no stewards around to keep everyone under control and the one that was looked about 14 and was more interested in eating hotdogs !

I wil NEVER EVER return to Denmark !!!!!!!!!!

Have to say i was at Parken a couple of years back and saw a running battle outside after the meeting.Seemed like two groups of young blokes trying to kick the #### out of each other.It did seem the atmosphere was more like a football match.Nothing like a normal speedway meeting in Denmark at all :(