British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pirate paul

Scott Nicholls

Don't understand the whole "arrogant" angle. Scotty always seems very down to earth, and always has time for the fans, espeically the youngsters.

Just last year my little nephew strolled up to Scoptty and asked him to watch him do Cartwheels. Scotty Duly obliged and was clapping him. I know it certainly made my nephews day and showed Scotty to be a down-to-earth pretty decent guy in my opinion

Don't forget these are TEAM meetings, the priority for any of the Cov riders is that the team wins - they had achieved that before heat 15.  Individual match ups do not matter, the team score does.

i think you maybe misinterpreting my posts,i genuinely believe nicholls to be one of speedway's most consistant riders.

in the last six weeks or so he has scored heavily,including several maximums,has a fair return against decent riders such as kasprzak,pk and zagar,but has had 9 races (combined) against andersen and crump and lost all 9.

its also worth noting,that in important individual meetings harris clearly has the beating of nicholls,yet in league matches nicholls regularly outperforms his more talented team mate.

Don't understand the whole "arrogant" angle. Scotty always seems very down to earth, and always has time for the fans, espeically the youngsters.

Just last year my little nephew strolled up to Scoptty and asked him to watch him do Cartwheels. Scotty Duly obliged and was clapping him. I know it certainly made my nephews day and showed Scotty to be a down-to-earth pretty decent guy in my opinion

having never met him,i am not qualified to comment,i think the point is that on tv he comes across as aloof, and offhand but maybe as you say he is a decent down to earth guy.

personally i have nothing against the man,enjoy watching him ride and hope one way or another he is in the gp's next year.just lets not get carried away with world champion or worlds top 8 comments.

i think you maybe misinterpreting my posts,i genuinely believe nicholls to be one of speedway's most consistant riders.

in the last six weeks or so he has scored heavily,including several maximums,has a fair return against decent riders such as kasprzak,pk and zagar,but has had 9 races (combined) against andersen and crump and lost all 9.

its also worth noting,that in important individual meetings harris clearly has the beating of nicholls,yet in league matches nicholls regularly outperforms his more talented team mate.

Don't think I am. You could use alternative stats from British racing where he's had 9 races against Adams and won 5, or 8 against Bjarne and won 6, what I am saying is that in team events these type of stats are irrelevant. In the 7 GPs thus far, Harris has outscored Scott 4 times and Scott outscored Harris 3 times and considering Scott was injured for one of those it's hardly "clearly has the beating of Nicholls" is it? (Scott also outscored Harris in the World Cup, which is effectively individual racing.)

Don't think I am.  You could use alternative stats from British racing where he's had 9 races against Adams and won 5, or 8 against Bjarne and won 6, what I am saying is that in team events these type of stats are irrelevant. In the 7 GPs thus far, Harris has outscored Scott 4 times and Scott outscored Harris 3 times and considering Scott was injured for one of those it's hardly "clearly has the beating of Nicholls" is it?  (Scott also outscored Harris in the World Cup, which is effectively individual racing.)

harris clearly rises to the occasion when there is something to ride for,the world cup final offered team gb,absolutely no chance whatsoever,so scoring was left to the ever consistant nicholls.

and where have i or anyone else in their right mind ever suggested bjarne pedersen was among the elite

At the end of the day, he is a regular guy just trying to make a living, much like the rest of us. The nature of his employment might mean that he is thrust into the public eye from time to time, and leaves him ripe for assessment (and unfortunately, criticism), but he rides a speedway bike to the best of his ability, and I don't think any more should be made of it than that. How would anyone else like to be criticised for not being as able as some others around them? Scott is a good speedway rider - a well above average one, in fact - but that is completely irrelevant. He could be the worst rider in the world, he could be the best. That makes no difference - why does he deserve to be criticised for what he does? It's not like he's done anything wrong or deceitful on track. He's just not been as successful as some people would seem to like. I'm not suggesting that he should receive nothing but praise and positivity, but rather be left to get on with his job. The only people who ought to really proffer any kind of opinion on his capability and worth are his employer, and Scott himself. I reiterate, there are hardly grounds for the constant barrage of criticism he seems to receive, and some quarters would do well to bear that in mind.

I apologise that this comes across as something of an accusatory diatribe, but it's not aimed anyone in particular. I just don't think that a lot of what is said about him is entirely fair. Debate about his suitability for inclusion in the GP series notwithstanding (which I consider to be a worthwhile debate), suggestions about his character, and derisive, petty name-calling such as "beggar" add little to proceedings. This is supposed to be a place for intelligent, insightful discussion, not a school playground.

At the end of the day, he is a regular guy just trying to make a living, much like the rest of us.  The nature of his employment might mean that he is thrust into the public eye from time to time, and leaves him ripe for assessment (and unfortunately, criticism), but he rides a speedway bike to the best of his ability, and I don't think any more should be made of it than that.  How would anyone else like to be criticised for not being as able as some others around them?  Scott is a good speedway rider - a well above average one, in fact - but that is completely irrelevant.  He could be the worst rider in the world, he could be the best.  That makes no difference - why does he deserve to be criticised for what he does?  It's not like he's done anything wrong or deceitful on track.  He's just not been as successful as some people would seem to like.  I'm not suggesting that he should receive nothing but praise and positivity, but rather be left to get on with his job.  The only people who ought to really proffer any kind of opinion on his capability and worth are his employer, and Scott himself.  I reiterate, there are hardly grounds for the constant barrage of criticism he seems to receive, and some quarters would do well to bear that in mind.

I apologise that this comes across as something of an accusatory diatribe, but it's not aimed anyone in particular.  I just don't think that a lot of what is said about him is entirely fair.  Debate about his suitability for inclusion in the GP series notwithstanding (which I consider to be a worthwhile debate), suggestions about his character, and derisive, petty name-calling such as "beggar" add little to proceedings.  This is supposed to be a place for intelligent, insightful discussion, not a school playground.

Top post Biddows,last night meeting was a cracker,two good teams, one great contest. Cheers &good luck to all at Lakeside

Biddows

Top post...wish i could have summed it up in one post like that.....:-)...nice one

jaybea

By the way Schumi

How come its a crime for me to supposedly insult you even though you took it completely the wrong way(for which you are still to apologise)....and yet your friend mr subedei and others can insult...personality weight and integrity of Mr Nicholls without a peep.......

Was it Sandie Shaw who sang the song "puppet on a string"

Jaybea

Schumi

But it wasnt aimed at you...i have explained that ...but you chose to ignore it...I will now let this thread die a death until one of you guys make another one of your droll remarks about Nicholls

jaybea

Having re-read my last messages...it sounds as if i am accusing Schumi of making personal remarks about Scott....This is not the case...and i apologise :-)

jaybea

No wonder no British sportsman doesn't do very well when their own country men lay into them all the time. Scott is a decent rider and who else is there? Fair enough Chris Harris is coming along nicely, but who else is there at the moment to compete on the world stage?

Simon Stead - not good enough

Lee Richardson - tried it, not good enough

Edward Kennett - too busy throwing his toys out of the pram over Bjarne

Lewis Bridger - not good enough yet too young

Adam Roynon - not riding in the Elite League yet

Olly Allen - not good enough

Loramski - injured

Chris Louis- too old/not good enough

Need I go on?

Give him a break and get behind him!

Glad Scott made it to the final and hopefully stays in the top 8 all the way now