British Speedway Forum
Yogi

Ivan Mauger's Gold Bike.

I remember when I was a young lad going down to St Thomas's in Exeter to watch my favourite team.

On one occassion Ivan had his gold bike on show on the centre green. I asked one of the marshals if I could go and photograph it and he said - yes of course. On my return to the stands I noticed the bike was swamped with people wanting photos of it. I'd started a trend but at least mine was taken free of people.

Memories eh.

Yogi. :D

I have a picture of that bike too... taken at Donington Park museum around the mid - late 90's.

I remember seeing that bike at Booey's Testimonial meeting at Brandon

I remember seeing that bike at Booey's Testimonial meeting at Brandon

It was also on display at Reg Wilson's Testimonial in September 1981 - I had my photo taken with it.

i slept in the same room as the gold bike and masses of trophies at Ivan's, and it spent some time in my dad's garage before it was shipped back to Oz :D

I have a picture on my website www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk Also have a picture of Ole Olsens gold bike which in my opinion looked better

In New Zealand's Canterbury museum in Christchurch they currently have an exhibition featuring 3 of his machines including the gold-plated one.

Canterbury Museum, Christchurch NZ

Speedway King: The Ivan Mauger Story

From 7 September, Transport Gallery

Motorcycle speedway champion Ivan Mauger is regarded as one of the greatest riders in the history of the sport. This exhibition showcases a selection of memorabilia from throughout Ivan’s career, including his World Speedway Trophy and three motorcycles, one of which is the famed “Triple Crown Special” gold-plated Jawa 500 speedway bike.