British Speedway Forum
lady s

Who's Going To Cardiff

Hi all, this will be my first GP and i will be there with the wife and 2 boys (13) & (16). Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to have a bit of food and a few beers before the GP starts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Result!

I am def going this year......

Hi all, this will be my first GP and i will be there with the wife and 2 boys (13) & (16). Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to have a bit of food and a few beers before the GP starts.

You'll get plenty of suggestions just by keeping in touch with the forum up until the GP weekend. Cardiff is a cosmopolitan city and there's a huge choice, but obviously, the nearer you want to be to the stadium on GP day, the busier it's going to be. Having said that, virtually everything you're likely to need is within walking distance on the day.

If you need anything more specific, just PM me nearer the date and I'll try and help you out.

Just a word of warning about hotel prices in Cardiff for anyone staying over.

I was there last weekend for the Rugby League Millenium Magic weekend and we booked our hotel rooms 8 months in advance. We turned up on Saturday morning to be told that the room rate had increased by 70% on the price on our booking confirmation, i.e. a £60 room became £102 ! When we questioned this we were simply told "if you want the rooms then that's the rate".

It appears from talking to many other people over the weekend that a lot of the city centre hotels had adopted this approach and it's something they've been doing for the last few "big" events at the Millenium Stadium.

So just be aware that the room rate you've been quoted on your booking isn't necessarily the room rate you'll be charged.

Think they would have a seriously peed off me if they tried that...god knows what I would do though as Cardiff will be strictly budgetted and there would be NO extra to pay more on the day.

That's a rather under-handed approach but nothing surprises me about business these days. Wonder what the deal is, if the rooms have been paid for in advance? surely they can't hit you with an additional increase if you've already paid for them. Would be interested to know what Trading Standards might think if that was the case.

We turned up on Saturday morning to be told that the room rate had increased by 70% on the price on our booking confirmation, i.e. a £60 room became £102 ! When we questioned this we were simply told "if you want the rooms then that's the rate".

Did you book your rooms through hotel's website or Reservation System? If you booked it through Reservation System, contact it saying you paid for your room more than you were supposed to and attach your bill. According to the law they should give the difference back to you plus they will punish hotel by charging it additional fee.

A lot of forum members meet up in (outside most years) the Prince of Wales (Wetherspoons) in Queen Street.

As has been pointed out, there so many places to eat and drink within minutes of the stadium you'll not know where to eat the choice is so huge.

yeh and so is cardiff ( huge) :lol: we ll prob end up in the park for the day then prince off wales, like usual

Edited by beercellar

There's everything, Scarsy. Nearest food outlets are KFC and Subway I believe, and as SCB mentioned the Price of Wales is where most members go to have a beer or twenty. :wink:

Can even eat in the prince of wales like we have done the last few years. It'd be wise to get there for opening time if you wanted to do that though!

Isn't Cardiff just the best :rolleyes:

Certainly is Trees, even you admitted you had a good time last year!!!

We were told when we left our hotel the rooms this year would be £150.00 per night the room sleeps 4 split that up not so dear afterall, that's the joys of wanting a good hotel with good company, if you don't want to pay that price shop around the Premier hold their price I believe and so does the one across the road from ours, cheap and cheerful basic room if that's all you want.

Almost everywhere in Cardiff the prices go up when there is an event on at the Stadium regardless of what it is, they are there to make money they have the monopoly if you want to stay you have to pay, or drive there and back same day .... never again for us my Dad fell asleep at the wheel on the way home once (could of wiped out three generations) and I said then no matter what the cost I was staying with my family at a hotel.

I don't care what it costs I love it where we are. It's good company, excellent hotel, staff are the best in the area. :approve:

Isn't Cardiff just the best :rolleyes:

oh yes, only good meeting in the uk :P