British Speedway Forum
Blazeaway

Leszno Gp May 10th 2008

After 3 p.m. on Saturday 10th of May you'll have such trains from Poznań Główny to Leszno (local time):

(departure from Poznań Główny - arrival to Leszno; train type; ticket prices - 2nd class, 1st class)

3:40 - 4:36 ("Cheap Railways" - reservation needed; 20,00 zł, 28,00 zł)

3:54 - 5:06 (stopping train; 11,00 zł, no 1st class)

4:59 - 6:13 (stopping train; 11,00 zł, no 1st class)

5:32 - 6:29 (fast train; 18,00 zł, 27,00 zł)

5:50 - 6:41 (express - reservation needed; 36,00 zł, 50,00 zł)

During weekends you should ask for "trip ticket" ("bilet wycieczkowy") - you'll have 15% discount (one way) or even 30% discount (two way ticket).

As Rico wrote - the best way is to come to Poznań earlier - just not to act under time pressure ...

After 3 p.m. on Saturday 10th of May you'll have such trains from Poznań Główny to Leszno (local time):

(departure from Poznań Główny - arrival to Leszno; train type; ticket prices - 2nd class, 1st class)

During weekends you should ask for "trip ticket" ("bilet wycieczkowy") - you'll have 15% discount (one way) or even 30% discount (two way ticket).

As Rico wrote - the best way is to come to Poznanń earlier - just not to act under time pressure ...

Hey thanks Rico and Mama for the advice, very much appreciated.

Agree with you both - do not want to be on time pressure, could really ruin the day. Think Wizzair it is then, earlier start but gives plenty of time to drop off bags in Poznan hotel before going to Leszno.

Would guess that taxi's are reasonably cheap (although understand possibly inflated for this event). There are now 4 of us shouldn't be too much if we need to jump in a cab.

Any hotel recommendations in Poznan - easy to get to, good value?

Thanks for the help - the first bottle of Lech is on me.

Edited by Hodgy

Basic and clean, the Ibis was pretty good value when we booked - around £15 per person per night. That rate was dependant upon staying 3 nights though.

We stayed there last year and while its not bang in the main square, its easy to justify rolling into a taxi at 5am for the short trip.

Rico :rolleyes:

Basic and clean, the Ibis was pretty good value when we booked - around £15 per person per night. That rate was dependant upon staying 3 nights though.

We stayed there last year and while its not bang in the main square, its easy to justify rolling into a taxi at 5am for the short trip.

Thanks Rico,

We're all booked, Wizzair gets us into Poznan at 11am(ish) - gives us time to drop the bags at the Ibis, dab on a bit of Old Spice then off to Leszno. Have purchased 4 tickets on the back straight.

Will by you a beer if we see you at the Hotel. Bring it on!

Thanks again for all your advice.

Hodgy

As Rico wrote - the best way is to come to Poznań earlier - just not to act under time pressure ...

Hi Mama / Rico.

Will there be plenty of trains to get us back to Poznan. Hope I can find the station after the meeting. Also is it worth booking a train or just pay on the day. Could even go to the station Friday, not a lot else to do, except drink of course.

Hi Mama / Rico.

Will there be plenty of trains to get us back to Poznan. Hope I can find the station after the meeting. Also is it worth booking a train or just pay on the day. Could even go to the station Friday, not a lot else to do, except drink of course.

Looking at www.polrail.com it appears that there are no trains between 21:55 (GP finishes at 22:00 ) and 01:34. Could have sworn there were other trains in between, but if that's all there is then that's what we'll be using. I'd imagine there'll be a lot of people travelling back to Poznan by train after the meeting.

Looks like you might have to pass an hour or two in the bars of Leszno before heading back. You don't require a reservation for the 01:34 train, but there is for the 02:05 train which appears to be a sleeper train. Mama or Mateusz could perhaps confirm if it is possible to book a seat on a 'Pospieszny' service. I don't have my phrase book to hand.

Leszno really isn't that big and you'll not get lost there believe me ! Just follow the crowds pre-meeting and post-meeting head to the main square where I'd imagine it'll be a bit lively.

Looking at www.polrail.com it appears that there are no trains between 21:55 (GP finishes at 22:00 ) and 01:34. Could have sworn there were other trains in between, but if that's all there is then that's what we'll be using. I'd imagine there'll be a lot of people travelling back to Poznan by train after the meeting.

Looks like you might have to pass an hour or two in the bars of Leszno before heading back. You don't require a reservation for the 01:34 train, but there is for the 02:05 train which appears to be a sleeper train. Mama or Mateusz could perhaps confirm if it is possible to book a seat on a 'Pospieszny' service. I don't have my phrase book to hand.

Leszno really isn't that big and you'll not get lost there believe me ! Just follow the crowds pre-meeting and post-meeting head to the main square where I'd imagine it'll be a bit lively.

Hello mate, what would a cab cost from Leszno to Poznan or is that completely out of the question? Also can we make our train reservations when we arrive on Friday or should we do it before?

Cheers mate.

See you at Reading soon?

Edited by Blazeaway

I wouldn't have thought the cost of a cab would be too intimidating (maybe £40/50 at a total guess), but it's scary enough on Polish roads during the day - not sure I'd fancy the cab ride up the road in the dark.

Best option for me will be to have a few more drinks in Leszno before heading back - believe me things will just be livening up in Poznan at 2.30am, the night will be very much young.

As for Reading, yes, I'll be along in the first few weeks of the season, will give you a shout if I'm going along.

After GP you'll have such trains from Leszno to Poznań Główny:

(departure from Leszno - arrival to Poznań Główny; train type; 2nd class ticket price; 1st class ticket price)

01:34 - 02:30 (fast train; 18,00 zł; 27,00 zł)

02:05 - 03:00 ("Cheap Railways" - reservation needed; 17,00 zł; no 1st class)

03:59 - 05:10 (stopping train; 11,00 zł; no 1st class)

04:56 - 05:55 (fast train; 18,00 zł; 27,00 zł)

05:05 - 06:15 (stopping train; 11,00 zł; no 1st class)

You don't need the reservation for fast and stopping trains. So my proposal is to buy the ticket in Poznań before the journey - just two way ticket with option "fast train" ("pospieszny" in Polish) on the way back. As I wrote earlier - the best option is to buy two way ticket and ask for "trip ticket" ("bilet wycieczkowy" in Polish) - you'll have 30% discount for the ticket price. So you'll pay ~25,20 zł for two way ticket for fast trains.

First year exams break my Leszno dream... :cry:

My condolences. idiot studies always interfere with speedway :angry: Missed last year's U21 Final at Ostrow because of maths resit.

Thankfully no exams in May here :)

Hello mate, what would a cab cost from Leszno to Poznan or is that completely out of the question

fsp is the expert on Polish taxi fares, he caught a taxi from Warsaw to Bydgoszcz.

He needed to get there quickly as the bar was open.

Cost him about 150 euros if I remember.

If anyone is interested in spending a week in Poland / Poznan on the 17th May (Saturday after GP) Adam Skornicki is having a testimonial in Poznan. Could make a good break.

went to wroclaw last year and would have liked to have gone to leszno, but that does sound a bit dodgy with the trains could you be guaranteed a place on the 01.34 as that would be a long wait till the next train.

Just seen in this weeks Speedy Star that Gniezno have a home meeting on the Sunday after the GP. Looking at a map of Poland this looks much closer than Bydgoszcz. Can anyone confirm? The level looks about British Premier League standard? :unsure: