British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pinstripe2k3

Scandanavian GP Off

Well guess what?

Ole Olsen has been put in charge of preparing next Saturdays race track. The people that prepared it were employed by SVEMO, and they ahve admitted that they got it wrong.

Posstlthwaite has now employed Olsen to get it right, and says he can get it "as good as Parken in Denmark".

So BSI is not blaming Olsen at all, and is looking yo Ole to put it right, after sacking the SVEMO track crew.

They can't hide the fact that Olsen is Race Director and therefore should go - he is in overall charge of track preparation and therefore responsible. :evil:

Well guess what?

Ole Olsen has been put in charge of preparing next Saturdays race track. The people that prepared it were employed by SVEMO, and they ahve admitted that they got it wrong.

Posstlthwaite has now employed Olsen to get it right, and says he can get it "as good as Parken in Denmark".

So BSI is not blaming Olsen at all, and is looking yo Ole to put it right, after sacking the SVEMO track crew.

I don't think JP had any choice.

As I understand it, Ole Olsen is the FIM's 'Speedway Grand Prix Race Director'. JP is in no position to hand the job to anyone else. Olsen's position is in the hands of the FIM.

If he was responsible for the state of the track for the SWC final and tonight's track methinks he shouldn't wait for the FIM decision.

It was good to see the rider's sticking together though. Surely they should be represented on the FIM Jury when discussing matters related to safety?

I too feel sorry for the travelling fans. They should at least be given free tickets to a GP of their choice for next year's series in addition to what is on offer already.

A sad day. A very sad day. :cry::cry::cry:

The old saying says something about you can delegate the job, but not the responsibility. Seems like Olsen & Benfield are trying to do that. Whoever laid the track, it is still their (Olsen & Benfield) responsibility and the should take the rap. From the mess a Vojens a couple of weeks ago, are we sure next week will be any better?

I read a couple of days ago that they stored the track "ingredients" from last years Scandinavian GP and used that again. Was that the reason for this total screw up? Has the shale dried out to such a degree that it wasn't capable any longer of taking up water? Will we ever know or will we simply hear that "mistakes were made". After all this time now of laying one off tracks surely most of the mistakes should have been made, or are they incapable recognising them and more importantly learning from them?

Goodnight Speedway RIP.

Put back 10 years tonight, the overall unprofessionalism of the 'sport' has come home to roost!!!!

Hopefully Olsen will do the decent thing and resign, the GP riders deserve a director that will not put riders at risk for the sake of getting some spectacular TV Images.

Not a chance !! His ego will not allow him to resign even though he should

But hang on a minute, if Ole is Race Director surely it was up to him to oversee the track preparation. Was he too busy enjoying himself under the guise of entertaining sponsors etc. all week that he didn't have time to check on the track crew :?: :x :evil:

Lets face it King Ole has dropped a huge one. Not only was Vojens 'fairly terrible' but now a GP has been abandoned. And thank Christ for that!

I actually thought they were going to 'soldier on' last night which I think would've been even more diasterous on that dung heap of a track.

It wouldn't have been close racing at all and thousands of TV viewers would've switched off for ever.

Real fans who travelled there and stayed in hotels etc, are the ones I feel sorry for, as they are out of pocket. But as real fans they are used to this unprofessionalism and will continue to go (probably not next week!) because they love the sport. Any new fans will surely go and find something professional.

Watching John Poshbloke being interviewed last looking totally devasted was an eye opener. He has obviously previously thought that King Ole, being a 3 times World Champ, buiding his own track, he knows 'a bit' about track prep and has left it all to him.

Maybe Poshbloke realises he has to get in there now. They have taken speedway to a whole new level, top stadia, TV etc, they just forgot to take the most important aspect with them... proper track prep. Get that right and we'll all be laughing.

If it is run next Saturday it will be interesting to see who turns up. I spoke to several Swedish supporters, some who live not far from Gothenburg and they told me they would not be back. They were either very annoyed at the complete shambles or had other committments.

I want my air fares and hotel costs paid, who is going to do that.

As I booked myself not much chance, but maybe those who travelled with a proper organised trip might have some success, eg. Travel Plus, who advertise the trip as a Grand Prix weekend

I went with TP tours and they have promised us a full refund of tickets but not sure about what else. We are waiting to hear from them as to what next. Give them their dues - they were brilliant on the night and couldnt stop apologising even though its not their fault. It was my first trip abroad to see a GP and I will go again - but not to Gothenburg. Any recommendations to where I should head to next year???

Any recommendations to where I should head to next year???

A GP that isn't run on a man made track!

The shortage of natural speedway tracks means that you may have to settle for one though. :roll:

Extract from my post under Scandinavian GP off:

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:01 pm

'I too feel sorry for the travelling fans. They should at least be given free tickets to a GP of their choice for next year's series in addition to what is on offer already.'

27-08-03

FIM SCANDINAVIAN GP OVERSEAS FANS OFFER

“In addition to the full refund of their ticket from Saturday night, I’d like to offer the overseas fans a free grandstand ticket and programme to a Grand Prix of their choice in 2004.”

Anyone see the similarity?

Does this mean Benfield browse the forum?

Sorry for cross posting this folks but I think this thread is where it actually belongs.

How come the track got a "re-vamp"? Exeter dont get such luxuries :?