British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stevehone

Running before we can walk???

BSI...hats off to them, they are trying to bring the sport to a higher level and staging racing at far improved stadia....

BUT.. maybe they should put money into existing tracks to bring them to a GP standard, get some PROPER speedway happening and get people coming back.

On the showing of these one off tracks (not just Ullevi), they are shooting the sport well and truly in the foot. People will be so disgusted with some of the racing put in front of them we will never see them again, and they will go away thinking crap racing and crap tracks is all speedway has to offer.

There are some brilliant racetracks all over the world...why not let the best in the world ride on them, rather than riding on tracks that quite frankly, can turn into a lottery.

Speedway World Cup...on tv for a week, loads of publicity and look at the tracks that were produced.. I love to see riders having to work hard on a track rather than your blue groove easy riding tracks but you have to draw a line somewhere.

For me tonight, Ullevi just about sums things up.. what non-speedway fans will return after that??

Whilst I understand your point I do think that the current route is the correct one.

Tonight's first 3 heats where an embarrasment to OUR sport and I for one am glad that the meeting is to be restagd. My hat went off to those guys who faced the crowd, I wouldn't have fancied it.

I would love to have been in either of the 2 meetings and was intererested to hear BSI be so scathing about the track preparation. I'm sure we'll get a fuller story throughout the week and will look forward to hearing it.

In the long term I think it will be good for the sport and ensure that the 1 offs are of a better quality, people like sky will let them off once but not again.

Means we get 2 GP's in two weeks though.

what non-speedway fans will return after that??

You've got to question what speedway fans will return too, Steve. BSI are offering a full refund on tickets, but there's no way they will compensate fans for a wasted journey from all over Europe (and maybe beyond).

Steve I agree completely with what you say. These one event tracks are not as good as tracks which have been bedded down for years. Existing tracks need to be upgraded to avoid another farce like tonight’s. On the personal front what will happen to Eastbourne’s meeting next Saturday ? Presumably it will have to be postponed. :evil:

In the long term I think it will be good for the sport

That's assuming that BSI don't question the overall professionalism of the sport and pull the plug!

This events of tonight NEED a scapegoat and that scapegoat should be Olsen.

First.......... Tonight was a discrace, heads should roll.

Second...... From being at cardiff the last 3 years, Take stadium gp's away at your perill.

Entertaiment value alone when going to speedway gp's is what it's all about, and yes first timers do return from what they see at the Gp's. And some even venture out to speedway tracks on a weekly basis because of going to a high profile event such as the cardiff gp.

The only people that seem to dislike these venues, and the racing it produces are the week in week out speedway fans.. and your right, They return anyway :roll:

. Existing tracks need to be upgraded to avoid another farce like tonight’s. quote]

Great, so no cardiff needed then :lol:

When you have done fitting 40000 seats around arlington, give us a call.

Granted stadiums do need upgrading.. but as most speedway purists would rather live in the past, and not bother to reach out to the wider audience... why bother eh :shock:

. Existing tracks need to be upgraded to avoid another farce like tonight’s.

Great, so no cardiff needed then :lol: When you have done fitting 40000 seats around arlington, give us a call.

I have been to Cardiff twice and I believe they made a reasonable job of the track there, certainly from the fan's point of view. Other stadiums have failed badly. There is no way that arlington could stage a GP without demolishing half of neighbouring Hailsham ! :lol::P

Now Im going to try and be a bit technical and thoughtful for once-so you may have to bare with me...

The Aussie Gp last year was run at a huge loss to the promoter-he had signed a contract and paid so much to BSI to run the meeting assuming he would get his money back-which he didnt-hence no Aus or NZ Gp this year.

I think Im right so far :?

What happens at Cardiff?Do BSI run it or do they assign the rights to the BSPA???

So what happened tonight?, in basic terms, would BSI have said ok guys you have the meeting and pay us loads and we will turn up Saturday and if you make a profit thats fine-they then turn up and say oh dear you have messed up big time or is it down to BSI????

So in basic terms is it BSI fault or was it sub contracted and someone else messed up?

Off for a lie down now :approve:

There is no way that arlington could stage a GP without demolishing half of neighbouring Hailsham ! :lol::P

They would also have to lay a temporary track. ;-) :clown

So in basic terms is it BSI fault or was it sub contracted and someone else messed up?

Let's be clear about this - OLSEN messed up :!:

Lets be honest as long as BSI get there money for making it a big event they are still in and not pulling the plug!!! That's all they got involved for wasn't it! Or was it because "they were interested in taking the sport to another level". Yeah right! :evil:

I went to Cardiff for the first time in 02, I had a great time and booked again for this year's 03 meeting. I've yet to re-book for 04 as I didn't enjoy it half as much this time around, the racing wasn't great and although i love the sport i probably won't be going back to Cardiff. If anyone can transport Bydgocsz to Cardiff i will book up immedietely!!

I vote Sean in to lay the next track :approve:

and KH in to keep his eye on Postleperson ...

just incase he takes his eye off the ball, again

Anyway

Lord of the Rings is on Sky now - time for more fantasy :clown

Lets be honest as long as BSI get there money for making it a big event they are still in and not pulling the plug!!! That's all they got involved for wasn't it! Or was it because "they were interested in taking the sport to another level". Yeah right! :evil:

Taking the sport to a new level and big money go hand in hand. Take one or the other away and the GP will revert to what it was in 1995 and probably never recover.