British Speedway Forum
Vincent Vega

Memories Of Waterden Road

I'll give you to know best on that one Bryn.........but who's the guy I'm thinking of?

He did the track shop at Peterborough in 1997, and I'm sure he's also been invloved in the Ipswich one too?

Ah - Alan Basham who, many years ago was a Crayford fan.

Thats the one!!!

Was he never involved in the Hackney track shop?

Yes he was at one time, he outbid Uncle Alf for the concession rights! :rolleyes:

Yes he was at one time, he outbid Uncle Alf for the concession rights!  :rolleyes:

There, see, I was almost certain it was him. :approve:

And I'm sure schumi's collection of Andy Galvin photos helped offset his additional costs!! :wink:

I went a few times in the early eighties. Very impressed with the late great Toni Kasper and Bo Petersen in 1981. Even more impressed with the Hawk's choice of guests against Cradley that year (Bobby Schwartz) - what were they thinking.

Always enjoyed the racing at Waterdon Road and a good atmosphere.

If I remember correctly one of our visits coincided with some kind of hostage scene in London, police everywhere on the way back to the motorway. Always interesting driving past the pubs after the meetings (getting close to midnight I reckon) there always seemed to be something going on around there.

Then there were the Hackney legends, Bangor and Barry Thomas are two that spring to mind, as a kid I was facinated by Thommo's stance at the tapes, very unusual technique if I remember correctly.

Still got the 1981 Thames TV Trophy on video, good example of the racing at Hackney.

I went a few times in the early eighties. Very impressed with the late great Toni Kasper and Bo Petersen in 1981. Even more impressed with the Hawk's choice of guests against Cradley that year (Bobby Schwartz) - what were they thinking.

Always enjoyed the racing at Waterdon Road and a good atmosphere.

If I remember correctly one of our visits coincided with some kind of hostage scene in London, police everywhere on the way back to the motorway. Always interesting driving past the pubs after the meetings (getting close to midnight I reckon) there always seemed to be something going on around there.

Then there were the Hackney legends, Bangor and Barry Thomas are two that spring to mind, as a kid I was facinated by Thommo's stance at the tapes, very unusual technique if I remember correctly.

Still got the 1981 Thames TV Trophy on video, good example of the racing at Hackney.

Sorry about the blank posting...pressed the wrong button

Great to know there is a Cradley supporter alive and well in this neck of the woods.

Your mention of the journeys back from Hackney and weaving theough the overspill from the pubs, revives memories, I remember when there was some sort of race riots on and the shops were boarded up. I never stopped the van for the usual fish and saveloy during that time.

I have fond memories of Bo I helped in a very small way and also built his workshop for him when he first came over. It is a pity that he never got higher placed in the World championships.

Thommo was a legend even if his preparation was at the other end of the scale to Bo, who can forget the night Thommo took Mauger and Autrey from the back in a swoop round the fence on the last bend. cannot recall the date, I wonder if anyone has that on video

Tony in Brisbane

wow where do i start... lets begin with the friday night ritual for seasons 77-82 when i only missed one meeting in 5 years..

outta school at 4pm.. onto the train from Enfield Town to Silver Street, Edmonton walk down Angel road (a406 nth circular) to my granma and grandads at Montagu Road, (yep just round corner from the old Edmonton Cycle speedway track!), have my dinner on table, usually egg sausage, chips with beans! while mum, and granma used to make the ham and cheese rolls for the riders changing rooms after the meeting.

at 5.30pm.. grandad, granma, auntie denise, mum, my sister and me, into the old Morris Marina and off...!.. (note.. wet days this was the last chance phone call to see if it was on!!... 01-985-9822 !!)

Drive down A406 to Crooked Billet Walthamstow, look left and dream of speedway at the dog track!, right round roundabout and up Blackhorse Lane, past tube station, along past the bottom of Walthamsow market, on through Leyton, past The Orient, (not called Leyton Orient in those days!), always look up and see who there next game was against, down to the lights, turn right, along past the Marshes, and turn left up into Waterden road. In through the Car park to the stadium gate to the right of the grandstand (no worries about that dodgy parking for us!) in through the gate and park the car next to the programme hut, bang on 6pm.. (two hours to go)

Granma and mum used go and get the programmes, Grandad used to go down to the Supporters club hut and help out with Snowie, Heaffie, (terry heath) and Tadpole, meanwhile i was off to find my mate Richard whose granma used to sell the "weekly fiddle" tickets at the bottom of the grandstand stairs by the main entrance.

Off we went to find out what mischief we could get upto, granma and mum set up the programmes kiosk as you came in thru the grandstand, Auntie Denise went off to the kiosk next to the dog scoreboard between bends 2/3.. i wold end up down in the pits, with richard, or sometimes a couple of Terry heaths kids, make a nuisance of myself down in the pits until grandad came and cleared us out.. he looked after the little white public gate at the Pits/Grandstand entrance, so access to pits was easy for me (long before health and saftey!!!).. here i would usually wind up some daft young girlies who were trying to attract the attention of a rider... saying things like .. "do you want me to get there autograph for you?" and running off through the pits with there pens!! (yep..i know... sorry! but i was 8-10 yrs then and it was fun!) vaguely remember some "Burd" there up on the wall overlooking the pits shouting for her Uncle!! can't think who that was!!

Then... it was 7.59pm.. the music would stop half way thru a record.. and the band struck up with that grand tune...(now it sends major shivers down my spine just to hear it!)... Len would start his walk out of the pit area, with track staff, and riders in tow.. and the mad rush down the front of the grandstand, and through the little gate ate the start line to be in place for the magical, and sometimes downright dangerous...The 50 PENCE PIECE! and watch the big boys cry when the little lads jumped 'em and fought for the right to be the 50p owner for that week!

on average...1 out of the 4/5 of us there probably got it once very six weeks... and straight upto the top of the grandstand.. into the chip queue.. and two bags of chips it was.. for the 5 of us... if we didn't get it... just a few yrads along the front of the grandstand was our chance to get back the git that did get it... the fabulous and famous Front of grandstand kids speedway races... two cans about 30 yards apart... one can on everyones left foot, and you was there... revving with your right hand, chucking an elbow out around the first can.. good nudge.. usually about ten kids in a race..!! about eight finisers, and two limping back to mum and dad with a nice grazed knee or elbow!!! absolutly brilliant!

thats a start..

memories part two to follow....

Sorry about the blank posting...pressed the wrong button

Great to know there is a Cradley supporter alive and well in this neck of the woods.

Your mention of the journeys back from Hackney and weaving theough the overspill from the pubs,  revives memories, I remember when there was some sort of race riots on and the shops were boarded up. I never stopped the van for the usual fish and saveloy during that time.

I have fond memories of Bo I helped in a very small way and also built his workshop for him when he first came over. It is a pity that he never got higher placed in the World championships.

Thommo was a legend  even if his preparation was at the other end of the scale to Bo, who can forget the night Thommo took Mauger and Autrey from the back in a swoop round the fence on the last bend. cannot recall the date, I wonder if anyone has that on video

Tony in Brisbane

Yes alive and well, and dreaming of a track return for the Black Country Boys. I'd love to be there for the opener.

Do you go to local meetings Tony? Where are you from?

Speaking of race riots, I'll never forget passing through Leicester on the way back from Kings Lynn in 80 or 81, the place was like a ghost town, everything was boarded up.

and the memories flood back....

after taking on the other kids.. usually ending in some kind of arguement or fight down there... it was off upto the "posh" part of the grandstand, at he first bend end. this is where my auntie Denise, and granma used to sit and watch with Carole (Keith Whites wife) and Barbie (Thommo's wife). it used to amaze me that the glass never broke at the front of the grandstand... it took a hell of a battering from the riders wives!! scrounge some pennies off my granma, and off down to Snowies hut to grab a riders picture, or a pack of old programmes to take home and add to my collection. by now it was about heat 6.. so up onto the grass banking on the first bend.. and watch a couple of races... or maybe off round the back straight to watch from there.. always amazed me how full it was round there. and looking back to the grandstand.. it was packed... where did all these people come from.... actually i think now... where have they all gone!!

around heat 9 or 10.. it was back to the top of the granstand.. check in with granma and auntie for the score.. and along the top of the grandtsand to find mum. usual place front of the bar, to the left of the announcers box.. in line with the start... get my autograph book, and check with mum who was scoring what and how well my favourites were doing.

back down to the pits... give grandad my autograph book, and get his car keys off him... back to the car by the programme hut, and get the rolls out of the boot. two carrier bags, one cheese, one ham. up the stairs.. back to granma, give her the keys, and off down to the pits with the riders munch bags.

by now... it was heat 12.. and one more to go..

down to the pits.. get in and stand like a good boy next to grandad while heat 13 went on... and watch and see who was going onto the tractor... have a nose round the visiting riders no.1 machinery... some i remember very immaculate... Ipswich always came with good clean bikes regardless of the track conditions.. Belle Vue too, with Collins and Morton 's equiptment just perfect.. but there were three visitors i used to be in awe of... Ivan, Ole, and Scott Autrey. pure professionalism throughout. usually two bikes maybe three each... seemed to be one mechanic for each bike... and only these three riders would see me as the quiet, polite and goody goody twoshoes little boy. no body else mattered.

then it was to work... helping Bo, Sean, Keith with soem of there stuff to the car( no vans in these days.. just a rack on the back of a bmw or squash two bikes into a citreon familiale !

then off into the changing rooms.... grab a roll and can of pop of grandad in there... find out who he had got signed in my book, and catch whoever he had missed.. then out to meet up with the rest of the family in the riders "lounge" in the pits.. where the riders all went to get paid, have a quick beer, and chat with the staff and supporters.

i loved it in there... trying to understand all the different languages... Bo Petersen and Finn Thomsen rabbiting in Danish, Zenon and Toni Kasper and later Roman, passing Polish ditties between them and there mechanics.. Chalkie (with a deep midland accent) and Thommo sharing a joke, Sean Willmott's west country twang, .... who needed to take a language course at school...!!

i remember Bo putting a coat hanger in the back of my coat one night and hanging this ten year old up on the rafters!!

One by one they went into a room at the back to visit Mr Silver for there wages. depending on the evenings score and how they scored would determine how long they were in there!!!

then it was off... back to the pits, maybe a kick around with a ball in the summer, usually a young Andrew Silver wanted to play.. but he was far too good for me.. so it was off out to the track .. and see if we could collect some tear offs, !!

i remember some of them still had elastic on them so back into the club lounge with our findings, wearing our clear tear offs!! grab a can of pop.. and out again to see what we could find..

by about eleven pm... mum had had enough of us kids... granma was tired.. grandad was moaning he had to be up for work at 5 or 6 next morning... so pack into the Marina.. get yelled at by mum for the state of my clothes.... well.. i was a kid... and it was a track full of wet mud what did she expect!!

back off home.... outta waterden road, straight over and upto Hackney Hospital. here we stopped at the chip shop opposite the hospital to get our fish supper... and into the car and off home... along past Clapton pond, onto Stoke Newington, right turn, dowm through Tottenham high street, to the Angel Edmonton, turn right, and along to Montagu and into bed at my nans.

i hated waking up Saturday Morning... because it was another 6 days until FRIDAY !!!

after taking on the other kids.. usually ending in some kind of arguement or fight down there... it was off upto the "posh" part of the grandstand, at he first bend end. this is where my auntie Denise, and granma used to sit and watch with Carole (Keith Whites wife) and Barbie (Thommo's wife). it used to amaze me that the glass never broke at the front of the grandstand... it took a hell of a battering from the riders wives!!  ........

i hated waking up Saturday Morning...  because it was another 6 days until FRIDAY !!!

A pair of outstanding postings Sean, reviving such clear memories of an excellent speedway and its lifeblood, its people, especially your fine late grandfather Alan.

Regards,

Rob McCaffery.

after taking on the other kids.. usually ending in some kind of arguement or fight down there... it was off upto the "posh" part of the grandstand, at he first bend end. this is where my auntie Denise, and granma used to sit and watch with Carole (Keith Whites wife) and Barbie (Thommo's wife). it used to amaze me that the glass never broke at the front of the grandstand... it took a hell of a battering from the riders wives!!  scrounge some pennies off my granma, and off down to Snowies hut to grab a riders picture, or a pack of old programmes to take home and add to my collection. by now it was about heat 6.. so up onto the grass banking on the first bend.. and watch a couple of races... or maybe off round the back straight to watch from there.. always amazed me how full it was round there. and looking back to the grandstand.. it was packed... where did all these people come from.... actually i think now... where have they all gone!!

around heat 9 or 10.. it was back to the top of the granstand.. check in with granma and auntie for the score.. and along the top of the grandtsand to find mum. usual place front of the bar, to the left of the announcers box.. in line with the start... get my autograph book, and check with mum who was scoring what and how well my favourites were doing.

back down to the pits... give grandad my autograph book, and get his car keys off him... back to the car by the programme hut, and get the rolls out of the boot. two carrier bags, one cheese, one ham.  up the stairs.. back to granma, give her the keys, and off down to the pits with the riders munch bags.

by now... it was heat 12.. and one more to go..

down to the pits.. get in and stand like a good boy next to grandad while heat 13 went on... and watch and see who was going onto the tractor... have a nose round the visiting riders no.1 machinery... some i remember very immaculate... Ipswich always came with good clean bikes regardless of the track conditions.. Belle Vue too, with Collins and Morton 's equiptment just perfect.. but there were three  visitors i used to be in awe of... Ivan, Ole, and Scott Autrey. pure professionalism throughout. usually two bikes maybe three each... seemed to be one mechanic for each bike... and only these three riders would see me as the quiet, polite and goody goody twoshoes little boy. no body else mattered.

then it was to work...  helping Bo, Sean, Keith with soem of there stuff to the car( no vans in these days.. just a rack on the back of a bmw or squash two bikes into a citreon familiale !

then off into the changing rooms.... grab a roll and can of pop of grandad in there... find out who he had got signed in my book, and catch whoever he had missed.. then out to meet up with the rest of the family in the riders "lounge" in the pits.. where the riders all went to get paid, have a quick beer, and chat with the staff and supporters.

i loved it in there... trying to understand all the different languages... Bo Petersen and Finn Thomsen rabbiting in Danish, Zenon and Toni Kasper and later Roman, passing Polish ditties between them and there mechanics.. Chalkie (with a deep midland accent)  and Thommo sharing a joke, Sean Willmott's west country twang, .... who needed to take a language course at school...!!

i remember Bo putting a coat hanger in the back of my coat one night and hanging this ten year old up on the rafters!!

One by one they went into a room at the back to visit Mr Silver for there wages. depending on the evenings score and how they scored would determine how long they were in there!!!

then it was off... back to the pits, maybe a kick around with a ball in the summer, usually a young Andrew Silver wanted to play.. but he was far too good for me.. so it was off  out to the track .. and see if we could collect some tear offs, !!

i remember some of them still had elastic on them so back into the club lounge with our findings, wearing our clear tear offs!!  grab a can of pop.. and out again to see what we could find..

by about eleven pm... mum had had enough of us kids... granma was tired.. grandad was moaning he had to be up for work at 5 or 6 next morning... so pack into the Marina.. get  yelled at by mum for the state of my clothes.... well.. i was a kid... and it was a track full of wet mud what did she expect!!

back off home.... outta waterden road, straight over and upto Hackney Hospital. here we stopped at the chip shop opposite the hospital to get our fish supper... and into the car and off home... along past Clapton pond, onto Stoke Newington, right turn, dowm through Tottenham high street, to the Angel Edmonton, turn right, and along to Montagu and into bed at my nans.

i hated waking up Saturday Morning...  because it was another 6 days until FRIDAY !!!

Great memories, that is the best recollection of friday night at the Wick that i have read.I can picture the scenario, even down to the mud some of which I carried back to Braintree after a wet meeting. I used to pick up Andrew Silver from school on my way in from Essex. Arrived about 5.30 and set my sales van up on the pits bend, not always in the same position depended on the mood of Uncle Len at the time! Then it was time to pick up the mag from Arthur, books from Eddie by the front entrance then set up the dope and oil. There were divided loyalties when Berrys meerry men were in town as the previous night I would have been doing the same routine in the Witches pits.

Saturday mornings were not a lay in for me as it was back down the M11 again for the training school. Ryehouse sunday day off monday take the missus shopping. Crayford tuesday, Mildenhall wednesdays sometimes Ipswich thursday and back at Hackney friday wot a life.

Tony in Brisbane

Yes alive and well, and dreaming of a track return for the Black Country Boys. I'd love to be there for the opener.

Do you go to local meetings Tony? Where are you from?

Speaking of race riots, I'll never forget passing through Leicester on the way back from Kings Lynn in 80 or 81, the place was like a ghost town, everything was boarded up.

Hi

0riginally from Essex via Perth 1982-2004 to Brisbane...Sunnybank Hills. former speedway spares dealer 1969-1981 ...shaleway69!

Do not get to Australian speedway much, save me bickies and make an annual pilgrimage to Cardiff.

knew Erik G and Kristin Paestbro when they first came to uk what was it... Hommer them Cradley?

Tony

there was a lady called Genevieve who ran the Jens Rasmussen fan club who in all of his races would shout "Go on Razza" on every lap!!!  I wonder what she is doing now??

Must be over twenty years ago now, but I used to be penpals with her - never met her though.

Sadly I never made it to Waterden Road :cry: so I'll leave this thread to you lot :)

Must be over twenty years ago now, but I used to be penpals with her - never met her though. 

Sadly I never made it to Waterden Road, so I'll leave this thread to you lot

:lol: You and your penpals. :wink:

I can remember standing on the terracing on the first bend early in 1991, watching BBC Radio London conducting interviews with all and sundry following the news that Derek Howes had pulled out. :sad:

I don't think the BBC had paid any interest in the track before that, and it still leaves a nasty taste!!

I know EL Tel and Ivan moved the Hammers into the east-end a few years later, but if we are honest, that sad, sad night in 1991 was the day the Hawks died. :cry: