British Speedway Forum
KevH

Boston

I only visited New Hammond Beck Road once, and it was one of the coldest nights that I've ever watched speedway.

If I remember correctly, the track had sea-shells amongst the shale, but that could just be my memory playing tricks........can anyone confirm?

Arthur Price and Carl Glover are two names who'll always be associated with the Barracudas, along with Rob Hollingworth, Michael Lee, Gary Gugliemi and Steve Lomas.

I met Steve (in Croatia, of all places) last year and he's a thoroughly nice bloke. I know he held the track record there at the start of the 1986 season, but did he still hold it when the track sadly closed?

And has anyone else got any memories from Boston?

Claiming the Mushy Peas 'n Mint sauce cartons eating record on a Crayford trip - 21 in total! Air was rather pungent on coach on the home journey! :wink::lol::P

I met Steve (Lomas) (in Croatia, of all places) last year and he's a thoroughly nice bloke. I know he held the track record there at the start of the 1986 season, but did he still hold it when the track sadly closed?

Just bringing this back to the top in the hope that someone can help?

Just bringing this back to the top in the hope that someone can help?

I remember a phone call with Steve Lomas in the late 1980s when he told me he was taking part in winter sand race events on the beach somewhere. So far back, I can't remember anything else about this venture. I beleive the racing was on a beach somewhere in East Anglia. :unsure:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

Steve has competed several times in the Short Track UK series over past three years..

But the question Kev wanted answering is, did Mr. Lomas hold the New Hammond Beck track record on that track's closure..? :unsure:

Methinx, Mimmo will be attracted to this post's evocative title before too long and will then reveal all!! ;)

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Let's hope so Parsloes!

On the subject of Steve, he is currently making bespoke exhaust systems, but not sure where he's based.

hi if i get chance i will ring steve tomorrow and get the imformation you require i took him as far as i can remember to scunthorpe the last time he rode speedway at ashby ville he rode for many years sand racing at mabo might still riding???

Guest Steve Dixon
I beleive the racing was on a beach somewhere in East Anglia.   :unsure:

Iv'e seen him on Mablethorpe Beach.

stevelki3.th.jpg

Edited by Steve Dixon

Now about those seashells.........did I imagine them?  :unsure:

In my time racing for boston there was no seashells in the shale, but lots in the car parks to fill the holes in! Hope that helps?

In my time racing for boston there was no seashells in the shale, but lots in the car parks to fill the holes in! Hope that helps?

Thanks for that, it must be my memory playing tricks after all this time.

Thanks for that, it must be my memory playing tricks after all this time.

Might not be totally, Kev.

I am pretty sure that the old Pennycross track at Plymouth's surface was composed at least in part of crushed sea shells.

When Boston closed in 1987 the track record was 60.0 (Definately)held by Steve Lomas since 1980 (I believe).

Incidently the last rider to win a race was Gordon Kennett of Eastbourne.

Claiming the Mushy Peas 'n Mint sauce cartons eating record on a Crayford trip - 21 in total! Air was rather pungent on coach on the home journey!  :wink:  :lol:  :P

Crikey Bryn, I'd forgotten about those, the Stall was at the Pits end of the Grandstand I think.

Holly was Skipper, and I took my young Brother in Law there a few times when he was a Kid - he's 40 now. ;)

Oh well, Teeth in the Steradent and off to Bed - well it is nearly half past eight. :o

Night Night - Crouch.