British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Templeton

Brian Hanham

Andy Scorey has just asked me to post that ex Southampton rider Brian Hanham has passed away after a heart attack. No more details at present.

I remember Brian in the saints team. He was a solid middle order rider along with Alby Golden when Southampton visited the Firs to ride against Norwich,

My condolences to his family and friends

ex Southampton rider Brian Hanham has passed away after a heart attack

I received a call, late afternoon from Tim with this news, and was devastated.

Following so soon after the passing of Maurie Mattingly, it seems the old Southampton Team are almost gone.

Brian was a 'One Team Man', and was so proud of it.

He rode only for the Saints, and always said he never wanted to ride anywhere else.

As a Kid, and I am talking maybe 6 or 8 Years old, I remember Brian at our old house in Bitterne with other Riders, who were all the equivelent of Premier League Footballers in thier day.

Sadly, I was in Germany on the date of the Southern VSRA Lunch last year (2007), which was the week after Pete Redfern died, and at that Lunch, were Maurie Mattingly and Brian Hanham, both, so sadly, no longer with us.

I was so lucky to have been invited to Brian's 70th Birthday Party at a Hotel in Ringwood, some 5 (?) years ago, and of those Saints Riders who were present, Maurie, Brian, along with Alby Golden and Brian Crutcher, only Brian Crutcher is still with us today.

I remember(as will Andy Scorey) the Jazz Band playing 'When the Saints come Marching in', and the ex Riders singing and dancing in a line to the music.

I know a lot of people who would reiterate the sentiment that anyone who slings thier leg over a Bike is a hero.

Brian Hanham was a hero to all us old Saints Fans, a true Gentleman, a great Team Player, and one of the boys.

You will leave a big hole in the Speedway family Brian, and we will all be paying a special tribute to you at the Connaught this year.

With great respect and many very fond memories.

A great Family friend for 50 years.

God Bless.

# Name Removed #.

I remember Brian in the saints team. He was a solid middle order rider along with Alby Golden when Southampton visited the Firs to ride against Norwich,

My condolences to his family and friends

Yes I remember him in the side with Barry Briggs, Geoff Mardon, Chum Taylor, Brian Brett and Jack Scott.

I know Bobbath, Norbold & Starghost will pick me up on this, but I have a sneaky feeling Brian Crutcher rode his last season with these guys before he retired and became Team Manager.

R.I.P. Brian

V.sorry to hear about Brian Hanham.R.I.P. By note to Brian Hamilton-I am honoured that you include me with norbold and starghost-but surely am not as old as those guys!!!Also Crouch are you any relation to Bert # Name Removed #.As you say the old Southampton team is getting less and less-although Dick Bradley is still with us I think.

Told my dad about this at lunchtime and he was saddened by the news!

Dad rode for Newtown Eagles along with Brian Hanham and Brian Crutcher, not to mention all the others that came along during that time and then exchanged the pushbikes for ones with motors!

Please pass on our condolences to family and friends of Brian and thank you for bringing this new to our attention.

Sue

(daughter of Dave McCrow - ex Newtown Eagle)

V.sorry to hear about Brian Hanham.R.I.P. By note to Brian Hamilton-I am honoured that you include me with norbold and starghost-but surely am not as old as those guys!!!Also Crouch are you any relation to Bert # Name Removed #.As you say the old Southampton team is getting less and less-although Dick Bradley is still with us I think.

Yes, Dick Bradley is still with us, living near Swindon, aged 83 I believe. And as "Crouch" hasn't answered, I'm sure he won't mind me telling you that Bert # Name Removed # was his Dad.

Yes I remember him in the side with Barry Briggs, Geoff Mardon, Chum Taylor, Brian Brett and Jack Scott.

I know Bobbath, Norbold & Starghost will pick me up on this, but I have a sneaky feeling Brian Crutcher rode his last season with these guys before he retired and became Team Manager.

R.I.P. Brian

Good list of names there Brian, and I remember them all very well.

Tim has told you that my Father was Bert # Name Removed #, who rode for Saints and Oxford, and then Managed the Saints up until their closure in 1963.

Well it was Bert # Name Removed # and NOT Brian Crutcher, who became Team Manager in 1956, taking over from Mike Erskine.

Because the two of them, for so many years, were confused by people, thay called each other Cousin.

Brian, for example, would be confused for Bert, and would then get asked, 'Oh, so is that your Cousin then?' No, the name is CRUTCHER not # Name Removed #, and the same thing is still happening today.

I still call Brian Crutcher Cousin when I see him - force of habit, I suppose, I heard my Dad calling him that for 40 years.

I have said it so many times, but it is a delight to have some of these older Riders still mentioned on the Forum.

Some of them, still, to this day, have no idea that they are still many peoples Hero's of a bygone era.

A lot of you will know that Split Waterman is a great mate of mine, and up until recently (10 years or so ago), he didn't think anyone would even remember him.

Alby Golden was the same, and was amazed when he would occasionally turn up at a reunion or a Speedway Meeting, that he was still remembered by so many people.

I have had the privilege of Team Managing Chris Holder for the last 2 years, and we have got James Holder, his Brother, riding for us in 2008, so I have got a Barry and Wayne Briggs situation back again after 45 years or so. Amazing really.

These things are cyclical it seems, and I suppose the same applies to other Sports.

Whether other Sports reveer their former Stars as we do, I don't know, but may the memory of the Brian Hanham stay with all those who watched him ride, and let's hope that generations of Speedway Supporters will continue to regard former Riders with the respect and admiration that we do today.

They are unique Sportsmen, who engage in what must still be considered the most dangerous and difficult of all the Motorcycle disciplines.

# Name Removed #.

Good list of names there Brian, and I remember them all very well.

Tim has told you that my Father was Bert # Name Removed #, who rode for Saints and Oxford, and then Managed the Saints up until their closure in 1963.

Well it was Bert # Name Removed # and NOT Brian Crutcher, who became Team Manager in 1956, taking over from Mike Erskine.

Because the two of them, for so many years, were confused by people, thay called each other Cousin.

Brian, for example, would be confused for Bert, and would then get asked, 'Oh, so is that your Cousin then?' No, the name is CRUTCHER not # Name Removed #, and the same thing is still happening today.

I still call Brian Crutcher Cousin when I see him - force of habit, I suppose, I heard my Dad calling him that for 40 years.

I have said it so many times, but it is a delight to have some of these older Riders still mentioned on the Forum.

Some of them, still, to this day, have no idea that they are still many peoples Hero's of a bygone era.

A lot of you will know that Split Waterman is a great mate of mine, and up until recently (10 years or so ago), he didn't think anyone would even remember him.

Alby Golden was the same, and was amazed when he would occasionally turn up at a reunion or a Speedway Meeting, that he was still remembered by so many people.

I have had the privilege of Team Managing Chris Holder for the last 2 years, and we have got James Holder, his Brother, riding for us in 2008, so I have got a Barry and Wayne Briggs situation back again after 45 years or so. Amazing really.

These things are cyclical it seems, and I suppose the same applies to other Sports.

Whether other Sports reveer their former Stars as we do, I don't know, but may the memory of the Brian Hanham stay with all those who watched him ride, and let's hope that generations of Speedway Supporters will continue to regard former Riders with the respect and admiration that we do today.

They are unique Sportsmen, who engage in what must still be considered the most dangerous and difficult of all the Motorcycle disciplines.

# Name Removed #.

David,

Excellent post.

Apologies for getting confused with Bert # Name Removed # and Brian Crutcher, but when the subject of Brian Hanham came up, my brain was running away with me, but of course I recollect correctly now! It was jsut my 'heart engaging before brain' as it were.

Best wishes

Brian

Andy Scorey has just asked me to post that ex Southampton rider Brian Hanham has passed away after a heart attack.  No more details at present.

just to let every one know thereare no details on brians funneral at the moment all iknow no black and no flowers donations on the day to children with cleft palate somthing close to my heart as i suffered the same disability andto crouch what well wriiten pieces and there will be be a display of bike at brians farewell andy scorey

Apologies for getting confused with Bert # Name Removed # and Brian Crutcher

Absolutely no apology necessary Brian. :wink:

It's been going on since 195? something, and I am just delighted that the names are not forgotten and that my Dad is still remembered with such fondness.

and to crouch what well wriiten pieces

Thanks Andy, the one thing we all have in common is our great respect and admiration for the Riders.

Keep up the good work with the 80th Anniversary do.

Crouch.

I would like to add my condolences to the family of Brian Hanham.

I too remember him racing for Southampton at Norwich his name was always on the team sheet.

I think his one club approach is something that is now very much lacking in speedway and the sport is very much the poorer for it. Norwich had one club riders such as Phil Clarke but how many teams can say that today.

I am glad that I was able to watch speedway at a time when most of the previous season's team would be there again year after year.

Brian Hanham displayed loyalty that has been left in a bygone age. I'm glad that this has enabled him to stand out in my mind for qualities seldom seen (in any sport) these days.

Malcolm Vasey

Absolutely no apology necessary Brian. :wink:

It's been going on since 195? something, and I am just delighted that the names are not forgotten and that my Dad is still remembered with such fondness.

Thanks Andy, the one thing we all have in common is our great respect and admiration for the Riders.

Keep up the good work with the 80th Anniversary do.

Crouch.

if eveyyone looks on the poole pirates web site there are details of brians funneral there iyou cant acess it .it will be at the main church in ringwood town centre at 2.30 pm on tuesday family flowers only.but donations to future face neils chosen charity for children with cleft palates can be forwarded to neil hanham 108a christchurch road ringwood see you there crouch???

brians farewell took place in brilliant sunshine today at ringwood church,people with speedway conection ex riders etc were brian crutcher norman strachan stuart wallace bill holden jim knott rosita mattingley(mauries widow) pete smith joan golden(albys widow) andy day terry lane smith and don hardys son.Neil brians son would like to thank everyone for their kind messages and cards and donations especially tim templton for supplying the bikes and andy day for supplying the race jackets r.i.p brian

Edited by oddfossengen

Following so soon after the passing of Maurie Mattingly, it seems the old Southampton Team are almost gone.

# Name Removed #.

I have only just seen this thread so I am sorry to be late with my condolences for Brian's family.

I have a small autograph book with the signatures of, amongst others, Brian, Ernie Rawlins and Dick Bradley.

David, the old Saints may be dwindling but they will live on in the hearts and memories of those of us privileged to have been part of the Banister Court family of fans. It is a sign of age to look back with fondness on events and people but I can truly say that when I look back at the days of the Stadium watching the Saints with my brother and late parents, it is entirely genuine.