British Speedway Forum
oddfossengen

Saints 80th Reunion

:D:D:D ive have bowed to constant request and in july (adate yet to be set)i am running the 80th anniversary of southampton speedway its going to be slightly different than the last one i ran at the avenue hall it will incorperate 60 years of poole and 80 years of british speedway as well it is being held at sammy millers museum in new milton hants stars already coming include dick bradley brian crutcher johnnie hole briggo fredddie williams stuart wallace and a list thats never ending everyone wants to be part of it my phone has gone into meltdown there will a collection on the day for the speedway riders benevolent fund and i hope to top my last ammount of £350 everyone welcome come on join the party

:D:D:D ive have bowed to constant request and in july (adate yet to be set)i am running the 80th anniversary of southampton speedway its going to be slightly different than the last one i ran at the avenue hall it will incorperate 60 years of poole and 80 years of british speedway as well it is being held at sammy millers museum in new milton hants stars already coming include dick bradley brian crutcher johnnie hole briggo fredddie williams stuart wallace and a list thats never ending everyone wants to be part of it my phone has gone into meltdown there will a collection on the day for the speedway riders benevolent fund and i hope to top my last ammount of £350 everyone welcome come on join the party

Southampton Saints: my first memories are of them are from 1947, when they reopened after the war, in Division Three. My early Saints heroes then included George Bason, Alf Kaines and Vic Collins. Does anyone remember them?

Southampton Saints: my first memories are of them are from 1947, when they reopened after the war, in Division Three. My early Saints heroes then included George Bason, Alf Kaines and Vic Collins. Does anyone remember them?
yes george came to my last reunion in 1998 he was getting on them.he came down with hhis daughter and she said he was so keen in coming he was up and dressed by 5.a.m. sadly george passed away a couple of years ago but a great character all the same

yes george came to my last reunion in 1998 he was getting on them.he came down with hhis daughter and she said he was so keen in coming he was up and dressed by 5.a.m. sadly george passed away a couple of years ago but a great character all the same

Yes, George Bason was a wonderful man. He was still riding in meetings in France in the late 1960s. I think he started racing at Longmoor (California-in-England) as far back as 1936.

I do John - my Father Bert was in the same Team as them.

I think the first Team of the Season started with George Bason, Jim Rennie, Bert, Vic Collins (Capt), Jimmy Squibb, Bob Oakley, Peter Robinson and Alf Boyce.

The Saints also included in the '47 / '48 sides, amongst others, Tom Oakley, Cecil Bailey and Alf Bottoms.

I trust you are well.

Regards,

# Name Removed #.

I do John - my Father Bert was in the same Team as them.

I think the first Team of the Season started with George Bason, Jim Rennie, Bert, Vic Collins (Capt), Jimmy Squibb, Bob Oakley, Peter Robinson and Alf Boyce.

The Saints also included in the '47 / '48 sides, amongst others, Tom Oakley, Cecil Bailey and Alf Bottoms.

I trust you are well.

Regards,

# Name Removed #.

Nice to hear from you David. I am familiar with all the names you mention except Jim Rennie. I believe that Matt Hall was another Saints' rider in this period?

I believe Bason and Hall went off to race a couple of meetings in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1948, which were organised by the inimitable Jimmy Baxter?

Of course I knew your dad Bert - we both played football for the SpeedwayXl in the late 1950s.

Hope to see you around in 2008 - despite the loss of Wimbledon, and what others may think, I do get around the tracks a little - but the years are catching up on me! :rolleyes:

just to let you all know the date for the reunion come speedway bash is sunday july the 20th at sammy millers motorcycle museum at new milton hants 10am-4pm entry to the show is FREE this is going to be a great day we have vintage bikes modern bikes a test your gating machine trade stand riders old and new autograph sessions photo sessions a reconstruction of a banister court parade complete with blaze away theme OVER 20 RIDERS ARE ALREADY BOOKED IF YOU WANT A STAND AT THE SHOW THEY ARE COMPLETELY FREE!!! txt me on 07900 897396 STRICTLY NO CALLS all riders from any club welcome there will also be a kiddies play area .rare breeds craft shop cafe bar b cue parade of t.t and road race bikes AND MUSIC BY A JOHNNY CASH TRIBUTE BAND ALL FREE RIDERS IF YOU WANT TO COME TXT ME YOUR DETAILS ON ABOVE NUMBER IF YOU WANT TO GO TO THE MUSEUM COST IS £ 4.90 ADULT £2.50 CHILD BUT WELL WORTH IT ODDY :lol::lol:

Edited by oddfossengen

just to let you all know the date for the reunion come speedway bash is sunday july the 20th at sammy millers motorcycle museum at new milton hants 10am-4pm entry to the show is FREE this is going to be a great day we have vintage bikes modern bikes a test tour gating machine trade stand riders old and new autograph sessions photo sessions a reconstruction of a banister court parade complete with blaze away theme OVER 20 RIDERS ARE ALREADY BOOKED IF YOU WANT A STAND AT THE SHOW THEY ARE COMPLETELY FREE!!! txt me on 07900 897396 STRICTLY NO CALLS all riders from any clud welcome there will also be a kiddies play area .rare breeds craft shop cafe bar b cue parade of t.t and road race bikes AND MUSIC BY A JOHNNY CASH TRIBUTE BANDALL FREE IDERS IF YOU WANT TO COME TXT ME YOUR DETAILS ON ABOVE NUMBER IF YOU WANT TO GO TO THE MUSEUM COST IS £ 4.90 ADULT £2.50 CHILD BUT WELL WORTH IT ODDY :lol::lol:

This looks like being a great day. I hope to be there.

I have no connection with Southampton but I went to the reunion bash in '98 and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially meeting a still youthful looking Bjorn Knutsson. I remember George Bason being there too, and I think, one of my boyhood heroes, Alby Golden. That event was easy to get to by train, but I don't suppose this venue will be, though I don't know the area and haven't looked at a map yet. I'd like to be there this year too, even if it means driving.

That event was easy to get to by train, but I don't suppose this venue will be, though I don't know the area and haven't looked at a map yet. I'd like to be there this year too, even if it means driving.

It has been more years than I care to (can?) remember but once upon a time New Milton was on the main Southampton - Bournemouth railway line, I believe. Of course it may well have changed.

It has been more years than I care to (can?) remember but once upon a time New Milton was on the main Southampton - Bournemouth railway line, I believe. Of course it may well have changed.
sammys museum is about a mile and little bit from new milton railway station bournemouth waterloo line it is well sign posted if you are coming by car there is ample parking yours odd Edited by oddfossengen

a reconstruction of a banister court parade complete with blaze away theme

I think you meant 'National Emblem' which was the Saints theme.

Blaze Away was Wimbledon.

Crouch.

I think you meant 'National Emblem' which was the Saints theme.

Blaze Away was Wimbledon.

Crouch.

thanks dave ive also got that one on tape as well as, entry of the gladiators but thanks for putting me right i know national emblem, was used at poole but unsure it was used at the stadium thanks andy Edited by oddfossengen

Southampton would be a great place to reopen speedway as I'm sure it would be well supported!

I am always a little concerned when someone says that "X would be well supported". There are so many factors involved.

The crowds would be made up of very different people to those who watched the original "Saints". Expectations are different today to 40 years ago and there would be relatively few who would remember the traditions of the Saints. Those who do remember those days, would find speedway to be very different.