British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Bob Hughes

Anyone know where Bob is-he was a rising star in the late 60's-seem to recall him getting his first max. Don't know what happened to him-I think he went somewhere else after Newport-Swindon??,Poole??.Anybody in Forumland know

Anyone know where Bob is-he was a rising star in the late 60's-seem to recall him getting his first max. Don't know what happened to him-I think he went somewhere else after Newport-Swindon??,Poole??.Anybody in Forumland know

i can remember him riding for the Wasps in the late 60`s early 70`s.

think he ended up at Canterbury later on in his career.

BOB HUGHES Newport(65,66,67,68,69,70,71),Canterbury(72,73),Oxford(72),Weymouth(74)

Born ANGLESEY WAL 23.02.1937

BOB HUGHES Newport(65,66,67,68,69,70,71),Canterbury(72,73),Oxford(72),Weymouth(74)

Born ANGLESEY WAL 23.02.1937

Will always be a significant rider to me as he featured on the front cover of the programme of the first Speedway meeting I ever attended: at Canterbury in 1972!!!!!

Thanx guys-after Bob left Newport were all the other teams Div 2-where is he now, I thought he could have made it as a Div 1 rider because he was very competitive with the Wasps Brit Lge. teamn 1965/66. A great trier in my view.

As well as his league career, Bob was a regular in the Weymouth Royals non league teams from 1962 to 1964. After retiring at the end of the 1974 season Bob was General Manager of Weymouth in 1975 and was responsible for bringing Martin Yeates, Brian Woodward and Vic Harding to the Wessex. :)

He was at one of the public meetings about revival of Weymouth in 2002 but I do not know of his current whereabouts.

A great servant to Newport Speedway (Somerton Park days) Started in 2nd half races with other Newport juniors of that time Fred Powell, Alan Jones and Peter Harris.

First rode for the Wasps in 64 and his best season would have been in 66 when partner to the Great Gote Nordin.

He left Somerton at the end of 71 being the last of the original group of riders to start speedway at Newport.

He did attend a meeting at Newport in 1997 and was well received by the fans that day.

Railway end -do you know what happened to the other second halfers, Peter Harris,Alan Jones and Fred Powell-do they still live locally??

Railway end -do you know what happened to the other second halfers, Peter Harris,Alan Jones and Fred Powell-do they still live locally??

Bob,

Peter Harris was working for a tool hire firm in Cwmbran a few years ago

and may still be there.

He did go to a few reunions during the early 90s as for the other two, Fred

rode a few meetings for Nelson in 68 then disappeared and Alan finish at the end of 66 I think.

My Dad was Alan Jones (died 27/02/17 aged 82) I was brought up on the back seat of the car (with obligatory rack on the back) travelling to meetings. Remember Dad going up with the tapes Wolverhampton or Cradley c1964. Dad retired wasps 1968. Said he was losing too many races! Very fond memories of Somerton Park, wandering around the pits (aged 3-4 trying to put my hand up hot exhausts) always a spare tyre under the bed, Jap engine in a washing up bowl of oil every Saturday, leathers being polished. Still have dad’s sole plate in the garage. Great names I read here from my childhood. Cyril Francis was a regular visitor over the years long after they had both retired, to our house until he became ill. Dad bought my brother and I our first motorbike, a schoolboy scrambler when I was 8. I’ve been a biker ever since. I had to learn not to do a drop clutch start when I sat my test. What happy times. Courage cockerel still in the attic 

Dad lived Ponthir, Croesyceiliog, (1965-1972)Caerleon, (1972-1988) finally Allt-yr-Yn Newport 1988-2017. Cyril Francis last known The Moorings, off Caerleon Road, Newport.