British Speedway Forum
Phil

Steve Johnston Speedway Testimonial - Coventry, 22nd June 2008, 1pm

Some great photo's Sandie, I'm not going to say who looked the funnniest :rolleyes: ....

What a great afternoon with a lovely atmosphere, lots of happy smiley faces and people having fun... :approve:

It was great having the presentation back again, so many commented on how much it is missed, it really adds to a meeting. So Allen can we have it back please? Oh and can we swap Yorkie for that Aussie Bloke ? Ta.... :wink:

Some great photo's Sandie, I'm not going to say who looked the funnniest :rolleyes: ....

What a great afternoon with a lovely atmosphere, lots of happy smiley faces and people having fun... :approve:

It was great having the presentation back again, so many commented on how much it is missed, it really adds to a meeting. So Allen can we have it back please? Oh and can we swap Yorkie for that Aussie Bloke ? Ta.... :wink:

Yeah, pleeeeeeaaaaaaasssssssssssse can we Allen? LOL :)

If anyone has a number for Allen Trump I'll give him a bell myself if you can PM me his contact number ;)

My personal highlight of the day...

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/27561...096369632KCOMQD

:lol:

Hats off to Bryn. If I'd have seen a p!$$ed up Billy Janniro coming towards me with a razor I'd have been out of the door like a bat out of hell. I didn't know whether to laugh or cringe most of the time. I was sure we were about to see a piece of nose or ear fly across the room, and he (Billy) nearly took an eye out with his first stroke. Truly x-rated stuff...and they let the kids watch! :o:D The laughs came thanks to where most of the shave gel ended up. :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a shame the sun and wind dried the track out as much as the racing suffered due to it. Still, there were a couple of decent races. General opinion amongst our group was that David Howe probably provided more entertainment than any other rider, with his chasing hard after riders in every heat. The top three were a class apart, with Rory and Steady then a step ahead of the rest. Scott rode a superb heat 20 to leave Jason and Leigh eating his dust. A very well deserved maximum from Scott. Wear those gating gloves in the GP's please Scott. It was a little disappointing not to see Johno take a heat win on his big day, and ended the day with a puncture was cruel luck (nobody else had one). Still, I'm sure he wasn't too bothered. He was certainly in good spirits in the bar. Of the rest all that can be said is that there wasn't a great deal to choose between them. Sundstrum found it tough but I was impressed by a first bend effort in one heat. He stayed in it (so-to-speak) around the outside, and only backed out as the fence came hurtling towards him. He almost squeezed around everybody, and it would have been interesting to see how he'd have gone if he could have got his nose in front. Risager was a big disappointment. His gating was awful, and although he tried to chase riders down the track wasn't really conducive to good racing.

After about 15 heats, with the track last seen blowing towards East Anglia, I did comment that it was like a heat 1 Brandon track of the 80's when Olsen was riding. :P

The Americans obviously fixed their 'races' but they could have at least made it look convincing. Ronnie - You had him beat in heat 2! lol

Nice to see PC have a spin. I was never a fan, but always appreciate seeing the 'old boys' back on a bike.

I felt the auction went on a little long, and could perhaps have been split into two sections. Rosco did a great job. Although, that wasn't a swear word I heard (twice) was it? lol I don't think a total was announced but it was certainly a very healthy one. Riders' race jackets typically went for around £70 but some were way over £100. Off the top of my head, Johno's went for £250, Steady £200 and Crump, Adams and Nicholls around £150-170. Other bits and pieces, such as framed and signed pictures, seemed to go for in the region of £40.

Overall it was a good afternoon/evening and a fitting tribute to someone that has entertained us for many a year.

*edit* spelling and grammar

Edited by 21st century heathen

My biggest dissapointment of the day was spending £1.50 on a magnum ice cream, & when I unwrapped it all the chocolate fell off. :blink:

Serves me right for being a greedy bastard. :unsure:

I would be genuinely gutted if that happened to me. Can't complain myself though, as Steve Turner bought my ice cream. Cheers mate. :lol:

Rubbish racing. Can remember very few passing moves on a very poor track. David Howe was the most entertaining rider and was trying so hard with little reward. It's saying something when you consider he didn't make a pass.

Not really what the day was about though I suppose and I hope Johno raised plenty of money.

Hope Johnno had a fan day and enjoyed it, he deserves it for all the entertainment he provided over the years. What was the crowd like?

Very good I'd say. Probably a bit more than at a Bees league match.

Yes, the crowd was pretty good. Fans from several clubs were spotted. Eastie, BV, Wolves spring immediately to mind.

Some of our shots -

Webshots

First time I've seen Bryn without his eternal ciggie!! :shock: Don't tell me he's seen the light? :blink:

First time I've seen Bryn without his eternal ciggie!! :shock: Don't tell me he's seen the light? :blink:

No - but he did disappear 1/2 dozen times before we started!!! :lol:

No - but he did disappear 1/2 dozen times before we started!!! :lol:

Probably had a bottle of Bundy stashed somewhere!! :lol:

Maybe he's in training for his next trip

Don't forget - Turn and Sip!! :rolleyes:

PS I think this shaving thing's

Edited by BigFatDave

Howe passed somebody but I can't remember who, and don't have my programme to hand.

Was that in the car park or on the motorway before or after the meeting :wink: