British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

First Race Ever Seen

Can this be right?? was Charlie Monk still riding in 1977??

Can this be right?? was Charlie Monk still riding in 1977??

Certainly was. He then moved on to Barrow in 1978.

my first was poole v wombwell 24th may 1948 still have the programme cant believe it almost 60 yrs still machanic for my grandson he is just starting at a amature meetings at scunny mike faulkner looking for a sponsor !!!!!!!

Aug 19 1949 Bristol v New Cross National Trophy 2nd leg Heat 1 Chris Boss, Eric Salmon,Bert Roger, Bill Longley 5-1 to New Cross. Local hopes had been high as second division Bristol had held New Cross to a 2 point advantage 2 days previously but it was not to be with the visitors winning 60-47 Bill Longley scoring 16. Still have the programme.

Hi hellsgranny-if you were born in 52 you are a young granny!!

Thanks for the compliment Bobbath. Iam definitely a granny and my youngest grandson has been to his first speedway meeting already, aged 10 weeks.

Not sure what the first race I saw was but it was in 1948 at Southampton. One match which sticks in my mind was Leg Trailers against Foot Forwards and I think Sprouts Elder was either riding or there as a guest. Does anyone else remember this ?

1963...New Cross v. Hackney ..think Rangers won ? i was a 7-year-old nipper from Peckham sarf-east London .

I really don't know how you can all remember your first meeting, let alone the first race ever seen. It makes me feel positively senile as my memory is terrible. :oops: All I can remember is the year - 1949 - so that will have to do. :lol: I was 8 years old and went to Blackbird Road with my dad. He eventually stopped going but I carried on and I'm still enjoying my speedway now as much as I did way back then.