British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Andy H

Frank Varey Northern Trophy

looking for information relating to the Frank Varey Northern Trophy, winners by year etc. Did it change to an individual meeting in its later years?

looking for information relating to the Frank Varey Northern Trophy, winners by year etc. Did it change to an individual meeting in its later years?

I cannot remember changing to an individual meeting, it was usually a start of the season set of meetings between Sheffield, Belle Vue, Halifax and Hull, I don't know when it was stopped or why though, but I am sure that it was not changed to a individual meeting, you might be getting mixed up with the Northern Riders Championship.

There was the Frank Varey memorial meeting held in 1991,one of the the last times Hans Nielsen came to Owlerton and the first time Greg Hancock ever saw it,he carded five lasts lol.

I think the Northern Trophy became the FVNT around the late 70's and sort of faded away by 1985.

Edited by Andrew

I probably did get mixed up with the Northern riders championship!.What year did the competition start and was one trophy used throughout or did they change it at some point?

according to the 1982 yearbook andy the northern trophy/ frank varey northern trophy was first contested in 1966 the roll of honour up till 82 is

1966 sheffield

1974 sheffield

1975 belle vue

1976 belle vue

1977 belle vue

1978 belle vue

1979 sheffield

1980 halifax

1981 not held - maybe because this was the year that the league cup was introduced :unsure:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

Thanks for that much appreciated,the league cup when it was introduced in1981 did cause the Northern trophy to be dropped for that year.Wonder why it wasnt contested for so long after 1966?. Can anyone fill the gaps in after 1982??

Thanks for that much appreciated,the league cup when it was introduced in1981 did cause the Northern trophy to be dropped for that year.Wonder why it wasnt contested for so long after 1966?. Can anyone fill the gaps in after 1982??

Belle Vue's first meeting at Kirkmanshulme Lane after the move from Hyde Road was against Bradford in the FVNT. It was abandoned after 3 heats.

That's the last time I remember Belle Vue riding in it.

1979 sheffield

Crikey, it's all coming back to me now :) If I remember rightly it was run on a league basis - no aggregate bonuses in those days of course - and we had to get enough points in our last meeting at Belle Vue to finish top of the league. This was in about July after the original meeting had been called off due to a burst pipe under the 3rd bend, rendering that part of the track unrideable. Needless to say the weather had been beautiful and sunny on that day!!

I think this was the first time I ever saw the Tigers win a Cup :shock:

Crikey, it's all coming back to me now :) If I remember rightly it was run on a league basis - no aggregate bonuses in those days of course - and we had to get enough points in our last meeting at Belle Vue to finish top of the league. This was in about July after the original meeting had been called off due to a burst pipe under the 3rd bend, rendering that part of the track unrideable. Needless to say the weather had been beautiful and sunny on that day!!

I think this was the first time I ever saw the Tigers win a Cup :shock:

How do you remember all this, I thought that my memory was good, but you beat me hands down.

How do you remember all this, I thought that my memory was good, but you beat me hands down.

I don't know really to be honest, I haven't thought about that for years, but now someone's mentioned it, it's all come flooding back :) Like most things with folks who remember stuff mentioned in this section - can remember stuff like that, but can't remember what happened against King's Lynn last week :lol:

Like I said, I could be wrong about how the Trophy was raced.