British Speedway Forum
oddfossengen

Ex Southampton Riders

can anyone help,as you know by now the final saints reunion takes place on 20 th july at sammy millers in new milton. iam trying to trace the following riders and if they are still alive and their address,s many thanks andy.ken adams, roy bartlett, frank bettis, cyril bridges, bill clifton, jimmy couglan, den cross, jack davies, ray ellis, hugh geddes, harold george, dennis hayles, harry hughes,tom johnston,lionel levy, harold mcnaughton, ken mellor,ted moore,jack mountford, dennis newton, gerald pugh, aston quinn, alan quinn, cryil roger(BIG PLEASE) ron sharp,dudley smith(BIG PLEASE) bill griffiths .many may have gone to the great stadium in the sky,all are post war riders.any information would be very gratefully received thanks andy

Surely Ken Adams has passed away-and surely someone must know re Cyril Roger-he must be in his mid eighties now.

can anyone help,as you know by now the final saints reunion takes place on 20 th july at sammy millers in new milton. iam trying to trace the following riders and if they are still alive and their address,s many thanks andy.ken adams, roy bartlett, frank bettis, cyril bridges, bill clifton, jimmy couglan, den cross, jack davies, ray ellis, hugh geddes, harold george, dennis hayles, harry hughes,tom johnston,lionel levy, harold mcnaughton, ken mellor,ted moore,jack mountford, dennis newton, gerald pugh, aston quinn, alan quinn, cryil roger(BIG PLEASE) ron sharp,dudley smith(BIG PLEASE) bill griffiths .many may have gone to the great stadium in the sky,all are post war riders.any information would be very gratefully received thanks andy

Frank Bettis lives in Hastings. Harold MacNaughton is dead. Lionel Levy is dead. Ron Sharp is dead.

Edited by speedyguy

the one i,m really keen to find or any information on is DUDLEY SMITH last known whereabouts a newsagents tobacconist near chiswick any ideas anyone

Pretty sure I saw an obituary for Dennis Hayles in the Echo a year or so ago.

Not on your list, but is Cecil Bailey still alive?

I thought that both Gerald Pugh and Hugh Geddes had passed away-but I've been wrong before!

Pretty sure I saw an obituary for Dennis Hayles in the Echo a year or so ago.

Not on your list, but is Cecil Bailey still alive?

Cecil Bailey was certainly alive last October (2007). He was among guests at the California-in-England speedway reunion in Berkshire. Also there were Bill Holden and Jack Vallis.

yes cecil is still alive but not in the best of health he has recentely been in hospital he suffers badly from that cruel disease alzheimers but his carer brian says cecil is determined to come to the final reunion

yes cecil is still alive but not in the best of health he has recentely been in hospital he suffers badly from that cruel disease alzheimers but his carer brian says cecil is determined to come to the final reunion

Besides his speedway career, Cecil Bailey was also a competent motor sport photographer. It would be interesting to know if he still has his original negatives. They would be quite valuable.

Besides his speedway career, Cecil Bailey was also a competent motor sport photographer. It would be interesting to know if he still has his original negatives. They would be quite valuable.
yes he has and the answer to the next question no chance brian inherits them

Lionel 'Porky' Levy was killed in a track crash in Australia some years ago.

Jack Mountford died on June3 2004 at his home in Spain aged 80.

I heard a couple of years ago that Dud Smith died some time back at the age of 62, that would have been about 1992-95. It is sad that he should have gone so young he was a really nice bloke. I knew him from cycle speedway when he rode for Acton Acorns in the 40s. He bought speedway bike Buster Brown started his career on and I inturn bought it from Dud. Buster and Dud managed to make the big time I didn't.

hi there dudley smith is my grandfather , sadly in 1993 my grandad lost his fight to lung cancer , had he been alive today he would thrilled to attended the reunion of the sport the he so loved ,we think of him everyday ,he bought some much joy to our lives, a true gentleman and my hero. so i was so pleased hear other people still talking about him from apart of his life long ago,

hi there dudley smith is my grandfather , sadly in 1993 my grandad lost his fight to lung cancer , had he been alive today he would thrilled to attended the reunion of the sport the he so loved ,we think of him everyday ,he bought some much joy to our lives, a true gentleman and my hero. so i was so pleased hear other people still talking about him from apart of his life long ago,

Whenever you mention a Saints rider, the comment that he was a "gentleman" is almost always made :rolleyes:

I am proud to have been a Saints supporter and, although I don't remember seeing your grandfather ride, have many happy memories of those days.