British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Belle Vue 80th Anniversary Meeting

Look out for a few Heathens fans!! I know there are a few making their way up to cheer Charlie Gjedde as he brings Cradley back to life(even if it is for one night only!)

Weather looks fine, looks like any rain is going to be to the south of us. Hope as many as possible will be coming to celebrate 80 years of non stop racing at Belle Vue Speedway.

Taken from Official Belle Vue website www.bellevuespeedway.co.uk

DOUBLE World champion Jason Crump will have an extra reason to shine when Grand Prix style racing comes to Belle Vue tomorrow (Monday) at the celebration of their 80th anniversary.

Crump, one of five riders to bring the World title to the club, is in a field of 16 riders who will be racing over 20 heats for the Peter Craven Trophy in memory of the man who won the crown in 1955 and 1962.

Crump, a keen student of speedway history, said: "Peter Craven is one of the Belle Vue legends and I am very keen to win this trophy again because it carries his name.

"Also, this is a very significant meeting in the Belle Vue story so I want to be the man to win it."

David Gordon, the One51 Aces chief, added: "Speedway has run at Belle Vue for 80 years without a break and Peter Craven is a hero to everyone at the club. A top-class meeting like treats him with the dignity he deserves."

The trophy meeting is the centre part of a show which includes a variety of attractions including old bikes from 1928, when speedway started in Britain, to a parade of more than 40 former riders. Also, for children, there will be clowns and face painting.

Riders in the main event will each wear a race jacket depicting one of the great clubs who have faced the Aces over the years.

The field, and the clubs whose colours they will be wearing, is:

Tai Woffinden (Odsal Tudors),

Carl Stonehewer (Leicester Lions),

Ricky Ashworth (Sheffield Tigers),

Jason Crump (Bristol Bulldogs),

Joe Screen (Belle Vue Aces),

Billy Forsberg (Norwich Stars),

Nick Simmons (Coventry Bees),

Jason Lyons (Birmingham Brummies),

Leigh Adams (Swindon Robins),

Lewis Bridger (Wimbledon Dons),

Scott Nicholls (Wembley Lions),

James Wright (Exeter Falcons),

Jurica Pavlic (Southampton Saints),

Chris Holder (Poole Pirates),

Patrick Hougaard (West Ham Hammers),

Charlie Gjedde (Cradley Heath Heathens).

Admission is £20 with children under 12 free if accompanied by an adult. Gates open at 4.00 and turnstiles at 5.00.

The old bikes and the Belle Vue mascots will be in action on the track from 6.05 and at 6.45 former riders will be presented from the top of a vintage, double decker 53 bus from the Manchester Transport Museum which used to take fans to Hyde Road.

There will be a grand parade at 7.00 and the racing will begin at 7.35.

Edited by Jenn

Carl Stonehewer out injured, Kevin Doolan replaces him.

I was surprised that Kevin wasn't in the initial line up but now I guess he'll get to ride anyway. Shame it's due to another riders injury though!

Get well soon Stoney!

Jason in right, in the big picture of British Speedway History this most certainly is a prized meeting to win. In another 20 years let's hope Belle Vue and British Speedway will be celebrating 100 continuous years .................

Just a shame that the meeting isn't being held on a Saturday or Sunday when I'm guessing more people could attend. Meant to add that I'd doubt the promoters of 80 years ago would have considered having this meeting on a Monday night! But never mind, I sincerely hope it turns out to be a night to remember!!

Edited by Trees

Really hoping to see a massive crowd tomorrow.

Well the weathers great all as we need now is a good crowd. lets hope people turn out in force for the birthday of the biggest speedway team in the world.

Live updates for the main meeting of this event can be found by clicking HERE

Belle Vue 80th Anniversary Meeting

1. Leigh Adams 3 3 3 2 3 = 14+3

2. Scott Nicholls 2 3 3 3 3 = 14+2

3. Charlie Gjedde 3 2 2 3 2 = 12

4. Tai Woffinden 3 2 0 3 3 = 11

5. Jason Crump X 3 3 3 2 = 11

6. Joe Screen 3 1 3 2 1 = 10

7. Kevin Doolan 2 3 2 2 1 = 10

8. Billy Forsberg 2 2 1 1 3 = 9

9. James Wright 1 0 1 2 2 = 6

10. Ricky Ashworth 1 2 1 0 1 = 5

11. Jason Lyons 1 1 2 R - = 4

12. Patrick Hougaard 2 R 0 0 1 = 3

13. Lewis Bridger 0 0 X 1 2 = 3

14. Jurica Pavlic 0 F 2 1 0 = 3

15. Ben Wilson 1 1 0 1 0 = 3

16. Nick Simmons 0 1 1 0 0 = 2

R Ben Hopwood 0 = 0

(Chris Holder withdrew from the meeting late afternoon ill, was replaced by Ben Wilson)

What a great crowd tonight to celebrate 80 years of non stop Belle Vue Speedway, was told over 3000 there tonight nearer 4000. Racing wasn't the best but wasn't expecting it to be in a meeting like that, although there was some very good racing in a few heats featuring the top riders. Shame Chris Holder withdrew ill. Meeting was over in heat 1 for Jason Crump, strange incident, he and Ricky Ashworth I think collided coming off the second bend, Crump was forced onto the centre green and excluded.

There was an open top bus paraded crammed full of ex Belle Vue riders, on the back straight there were fun fair rides, and entertainers dotted around the stadium, never seen so many kids at Belle Vue before, was a great atmosphere running up to the meeting. Fantastic souvenir programme with free limited key ring and replica of very first programme.

Massive crowd tonight you could hardly move. Not a bad meeting either, special mention to Tai who looks a quality rider, Jason got caught up in the first race but was unlucky, I dont think he was too happy with Ashworth and him, Scott, Leigh and Charlie looked a class apart as expected. Good family night out with great weather and decent entertainment, glad I went.

Why didn't the ref bring the first heat back then after that incident, hardly fair was it?

Why didn't the ref bring the first heat back then after that incident, hardly fair was it?

Race should have definatly been stopped it was very messy, but one of them would have had to be excluded as it was going on to back straight.