British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Belle Vue 80th Anniversary Meeting

Why didn't the ref bring the first heat back then after that incident, hardly fair was it?

You'll have to ask Graham Flint that!

QUOTE (Rob B @ Jul 28 2008, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Race should have definatly been stopped it was very messy, but one of them would have had to be excluded as it was going on to back straight.

I think in the context of the meeting Flint could have let them get away with that, it was scrappy and only just on the back straight. Im sure if hed really wanted to he could have called all four back. Just my opinion mind.

Really enjoyed tonight despite spending a fortune and having really sore feet. It was good to see one of the prodicals return for their annual visit - we'll get you back every week yet!!!!! :P

Also plenty of media attention tonight, Ian Cheesnam was behind me interviewing live I think for BBC radio Manchester. Channel M also there filming. Crowd was huge, and it does tell a story that those fans who were there tonight cant afford it on a weekly basis or they simply dont want to come. I wish it was like that every week, it just feels like your at an event.

10/10 for the management on this, a good atmosphere was created and the whole night was well organised and enjoyable. Some good races and in the pub afterwards there was a group of people who had decided to go along and they absolutley loved the whole night, was a young lad stood next to me and after peter collins did his demonstration ride said that was all he wanted the chance to see a legend actually slide the bike, his smile said it all. It just goes to show if you publicise meetings and add a bit of entertainment the crowds will respond. Why cant league meetings be like this?

Race should have definatly been stopped it was very messy, but one of them would have had to be excluded as it was going on to back straight.

Nah, the ref always has the option to do all 4 back doesn't he ............. shame eh.

Glad it was a success :)

Also plenty of media attention tonight, Ian Cheesnam was behind me interviewing live I think for BBC radio Manchester. Channel M also there filming. Crowd was huge, and it does tell a story that those fans who were there tonight cant afford it on a weekly basis or they simply dont want to come. I wish it was like that every week, it just feels like your at an event.

My mates and I did comment on how different it felt tonight. We were stood on the 3/4 bend which is what we did years ago before we all had kids and took up refuge in the stand. Obviously tonight with the crowd we ended up out there again and with the crowd etc it created a good atmosphere for a change.

WOW well done the BV managment what a great night, the stadium was close to bursting with a massive crowd somewhere around the 4000 mark for sure. Got in just gone 5 and was entertained until way past 10pm.

Some good racing as well mostly from the big guns, was well worth the admission money. Great souvenir program with free bv key ring, great to see and HEAR the old bikes and to see PC the legend himself doing 4 laps in 67 secs on a 30 year old bike. The atmosphere was superb and it brought a lump to my throat when the main meeting parade started.

The funniest moment of the night came when in the interval Jason Done from Waterloo Road came out to have his first ever ride on Speedway bike, after many interviews through the night and him saying how much he was rubbishting himself we were all looking forward to see how he went. Well he had two practice laps which were very shakey, then down came the tapes upto the line he went, tapes up did ok into the first bend but went very wide out of bend 2 did ok up back straight with a bit of a wobble, then into his second lap all of a sudden he let the throttle go and was absolutely flying, by this time after a state of shock we thought something funny was going on, then he started doing wheelies all over the place, then we new we'd been had, after a few more flying laps and wheelies a fan in the crowd was asked what he thought, he said hed never seen a better first timer in his life, then he took off his cap and who was they interviewing yes Jason Done, so who was on the bike in Dones clothes and a belle vue shirt none other than Lewis Bridger, Ive not laughed so much in ages pure qualitiy.

All in all a truely brilliant night and fitting for the greatest club in world speedway the Belle Vue Aces.

Well done to leigh Adams.

WOW well done the BV managment what a great night, the stadium was close to bursting with a massive crowd somewhere around the 4000 mark for sure. Got in just gone 5 and was entertained until way past 10pm.

Some good racing as well mostly from the big guns, was well worth the admission money. Great souvenir program with free bv key ring, great to see and HEAR the old bikes and to see PC the legend himself doing 4 laps in 67 secs on a 30 year old bike. The atmosphere was superb and it brought a lump to my throat when the main meeting parade started.

The funniest moment of the night came when in the interval Jason Done from Waterloo Road came out to have his first ever ride on Speedway bike, after many interviews through the night and him saying how much he was rubbishting himself we were all looking forward to see how he went. Well he had two practice laps which were very shakey, then down came the tapes upto the line he went, tapes up did ok into the first bend but went very wide out of bend 2 did ok up back straight with a bit of a wobble, then into his second lap all of a sudden he let the throttle go and was absolutely flying, by this time after a state of shock we thought something funny was going on, then he started doing wheelies all over the place, then we new we'd been had, after a few more flying laps and wheelies a fan in the crowd was asked what he thought, he said hed never seen a better first timer in his life, then he took off his cap and who was they interviewing yes Jason Done, so who was on the bike in Dones clothes and a belle vue shirt none other than Lewis Bridger, Ive not laughed so much in ages pure qualitiy.

All in all a truely brilliant night and fitting for the greatest club in world speedway the Belle Vue Aces.

Oh come on superace....you really didn't see that coming? ;)

Oh come on superace....you really didn't see that coming? ;)

No and everyone around me didnt either, you must be the clever one.

No and everyone around me didnt either, you must be the clever one.

I'm not taking the mickey (well a lighthearted jibe once aces fan to another maybe :P) but it has been done before I seem to remember.

Still all part of the fun :D

I'm not taking the mickey (well a lighthearted jibe once aces fan to another maybe :P) but it has been done before I seem to remember.

Still all part of the fun :D

Its ok dont mind a joke or too and take as well as give it.

Thought Bridger was a great sport.

Just got home in 2 hours from Belle Vue, glad you enjoyed the old bikes....everyone from blast from the past really enjoyed themselves and all of us would like to say what an honour it was to ride in the meeting,,,,best wishes to everyone at kirky lane and heres to the next 80 yrs ......Ron,col,alec,pete,dennis and paul....

Just got home in 2 hours from Belle Vue, glad you enjoyed the old bikes....everyone from blast from the past really enjoyed themselves and all of us would like to say what an honour it was to ride in the meeting,,,,best wishes to everyone at kirky lane and heres to the next 80 yrs ......Ron,col,alec,pete,dennis and paul....

Was a pleasure to see the old bikes and all - many thanks to everyone involved :)

Yes enjoyed them greatly, well done and thanks for making it a great night.