British Speedway Forum
sirmattyisbac

Referee Needs To Go To Specsavers

The sign of a good referee is that you shouldn't even really notice he's there...think on this occasion he can safely say he had a bad day at the office.

I ould hope that referees are marked on their performances in order to assess who should get the top jobs. On last night's showing, he has a lot of making up to do. Some shonky decisions that altered the outcome of the meeting. Very poor.

Whilst i agree the referee was at fault for the decisions, he wouldn't have had to make the decisions if the rider in question hadn't 'tried his luck'. Pretty poor show by Nicki really. I want to see the best rider win (which he did last night), but Nicki used everything in his power to manipulate the situation, which I believe is wrong and unsportsmanlike.

Nicki is a strange combination of things. I love to watch him ride but at the same time I love to see him beaten. Last night when both Scotty and Bomber passed him in one race absolutely made my day. But the stupid thing is, I can't dislike the guy. Last night, amid all the booing and hand gestures aimed his way, whilst walking back down the pit lane, he just looked up and gave the broadest toothiest grin you ever saw. Had me in stitches. Don't like some of his antics but speedway hasn't had a true pantomime villain for years and I shouldn't really say it, but I think that is what speedway has been missing. Some riders get hurt from boos etc, but I really think that it spurs Nicki on, I think he revels in it.

Whilst i agree the referee was at fault for the decisions, he wouldn't have had to make the decisions if the rider in question hadn't 'tried his luck'. Pretty poor show by Nicki really. I want to see the best rider win (which he did last night), but Nicki used everything in his power to manipulate the situation, which I believe is wrong and unsportsmanlike.

Nicki is a strange combination of things. I love to watch him ride but at the same time I love to see him beaten. Last night when both Scotty and Bomber passed him in one race absolutely made my day. But the stupid thing is, I can't dislike the guy. Last night, amid all the booing and hand gestures aimed his way, whilst walking back down the pit lane, he just looked up and gave the broadest toothiest grin you ever saw. Had me in stitches. Don't like some of his antics but speedway hasn't had a true pantomime villain for years and I shouldn't really say it, but I think that is what speedway has been missing. Some riders get hurt from boos etc, but I really think that it spurs Nicki on, I think he revels in it.

i would agree with that. at the beginning of the meeting nicki struggled but when the booing kicked in he started doing a lot better. wonder why!

Having watched the meeting again today with the benefit of all the angles, his performance was nothing short of a disgrace. I'm sure even the most amateur fan can spot when a rider hits the tapes or knows who is to blame for causing the stoppage in the majority of incidents, so how someone allegedly at the top of his profession can get such basic decisions wrong is inexplicable. :unsure:

Cardiff '08 must be his last GP if the series is to retain any credibility.

Should of been all 4 back 1st time and all 4 back this time the ref is a joke what is he doing

No I'm sorry, the first time Nicki was clearly desperate and tried to drop it on Adams but was nowhere near far enough in front, the best he could have hoped for was a re-run with all four. The Bjarne incident was even worse, Nicki was even further behind & Bjarne was tighter to the line....the first decision was a disgrace, the second beyond belief.......refs fault though not Nicki's, made a rod for his own back.

Edited by mikegum

Although we can all brand Mr N Pedersen a cheat which I think he is, however it was the man on the button that got it wrong. Saying that, it would've taken a Man to ring the Referee and say that he was at fault and maybe would he re consider the decision, then apologising to his fellow competitor for getting him excluded.

Overall, the Referee was nothing short of a disgrace last night and brought the SGP into disrepute.

Nicki Pedersen was a very lucky man for not getting excluded on three occasions, Tape touching in his second ride, Heat 6 and dangerous riding in both Heat 17 and Heat 21 where he ran into the back of another rider causing himself to fall.

The FIM should look at last nights GP and make some ammendments to Nicki Pedersen score so it should read as follows.

Heat 3 2nd Place, 2 Points

Heat 6 Excluded, Tape Touching 0 Points

Heat 12 2nd place, 2 Points

Heat 15 4th Place, 0 Points

Heat 17 Excluded, Fell by riding into a fellow competitor

A total of 4 Points which wouldn't get him into the Semi Final.

1 Point to be awarded to Lukas Dryml in Heat 6 taking his total for the night to 2 points.

2 Points to be awarded to Leigh Adams in Heat 17 taking his total for the night to 9 points.

1 Point to be awarded to Hans Andersen in Heat 21 (Semi Final 1) taking his total for the night to 10 points.

1 Point to be awarded to Bjarne Pedersen in Heat 21 (Semi Final 1) taking his total for the night to 15 points.

World Championship Total Points should now read as follows

Nicki Pedersen 73

Leigh Adams 51

Hans Andersen 49

Bjarne Pedersen 26

Lukas Dryml 17

Referee Marek Wojaczek to be removed from International Duties for the remainder of the 2008 season and strict supervision for 2009.

I believe the above would restore some credibility to the GP for 2008.

Edited by SCORPIO

In todays Echo, Bjarne Pedersen - Ref should be axed

Absolutley, get rid of Wojaczek before he ruins another GP.

Some very valid points from BP there - though I suspect his comments on Saturday night (if asked) may have been more heated.

The problem is, are the powers that run the GP series listening to any of this ?

So who thinks that Nicki Pedersen will refuse to ride in next year's British Final? (no me neither)

As to this abject excuse for a top international referee I expect it will be business as usual, even though we should be looking at a GP series with a very exciting 4 point gap between the top two, rather than the 10 point gap Nicki undeservedly holds this morning.

Anyone who had backed Bjarne Pedersen at 25/1 should feel especially cheated as he looked certain to qualify for final before Nicki rode into the back of him, and had a real chance of winning this.

A great event ruined by a complete buffoon of a referee.

1/ Nicki should have gone for the tapes incident and the ref whacked the tapes up as soon as he touched them.

2/ The Adams dead heat incident was called before they even gave the freeze frame.

The ref just presumed that Hancock had won it before he reviewed it.

3/Nicki v Adams incident 8 times out of 10 it is all 4 back and the other 2 times out of 10 the rider behind is excluded for not getting to the corner 1st and throttling off.

4/ Nicki v Bjarne incident ditto ditto felt sorry for Bjarne as had a brilliant meeting.

Didn't realize they dont have all 4 back in Polish speedway

What would have happened if Nicki or Crumpie had come out of gate 1 and wiped out say Eddie Kennett in gate 4 .

Would that Polish twit have excluded them as well?? We know the answer to that .

It does make you wonder if this ref had instructions through his earpiece from certain people as I cant see how a ref could get to the top of his profession with decisions like that.

Regarding the dead heat incident, Adams went up to Olsen and asked to use the phone to speak to the ref and Olsen said " the phone lines are down" how convenient :angry:

Couldn't agree more.

Olsen stating that the phone was't working just adds to the conspiracy theory. Looks like Nicki is being protected by Mr Olsen and if it goes down to the wire then we have the same ref in the last GP - hhmmm.

So who thinks that Nicki Pedersen will refuse to ride in next year's British Final? (no me neither)As to this abject excuse for a top international referee I expect it will be business as usual, even though we should be looking at a GP series with a very exciting 4 point gap between the top two, rather than the 10 point gap Nicki undeservedly holds this morning.

Anyone who had backed Bjarne Pedersen at 25/1 should feel especially cheated as he looked certain to qualify for final before Nicki rode into the back of him, and had a real chance of winning this.

A great event ruined by a complete buffoon of a referee.

i thought only brits could ride in the british final!! :wink:

i thought only brits could ride in the british final!! :wink:

bang to rights. Of course I was only testing to see which of you were awake :unsure:

Some very valid points from BP there - though I suspect his comments on Saturday night (if asked) may have been more heated.

The problem is, are the powers that run the GP series listening to any of this ?

But surely it's up to the riders to get together and state the case. All of them meet up most weeks in one place or another. I'm amazed that they put up with dangerous tracks, but there's no need to put up with an incompetent fool in charge as well.

Why dont the GP riders refuse to race in the next GP meeting if that Pratt of a Pole is down to ref the meeting.

Ole Olsen will be in bother then :lol:

Just as well add my quota... :angry:

Obviously the FIM need to discipline that prat of a 'ref' for his incompetent actions. A rider would have been. If 40,000 people etc knew it was a bad decision then so should he. He is simply an incompetent fool who should never be allowed to take charge ever again. I am still gutted for Bjarne & Leigh. And yes NP WAS grinning when he went back to the pits. Anyone who dives into riders such as he does should have been EXCLUDED the second time at least for it.

And then we have promoters twiddling their thumbs wondering why fans don't go anymore to speedway!!!!!!! Oh lets do a thingy at a school or some other ridiculous promotion to entice them back!!!! THE REASONS WHY FANS ARE NOT GOING ANYMORE IS DUE TO THE MAD RULES AND DECISIONS BY REFEREES SUCH AS THIS PLONKER. Promoters please wake up & listen cos if you don't then you are as useless as the ref at Cardiff! (and Somerset the previous night)

YOURS..........

MR ANGRY (very ANGRY) :mad: