British Speedway Forum
PhilK

The Cardiff Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The world if full of "if only" .... he hadn't broke the tapes he would of had 3rd placing at least with Nicki being excluded.

How do you know that?

If only Nicki hadn't of fell Scott might not have been so nailed on for 3rd,eh?

Had a great time although feeling it today!

Was good to meet up with SRBramble (and his brother), he really is a nice guy, an excellent conversationalist and not at all how he is perceived on these forums. Also nice to meet for the first time, Bobbin and Jacques.

It was also good to meet up with familiar faces at the POW (even if I kept forgetting the name to face! Sorry Colin Cooke)

The GP itself.....errr well I missed from the end of heat 7 through to heat 12 as we were taking a little diversion through the bowels of the stadium to the first aid room in the pits! Not me this time but eldest son had forgotten to take his painkillers (he did his back in a week ago) and being in so much pain by heat 7 that he decided to go and ask the nearest first aid post for some. Mind you, it was great walking through the pits while the racing was on!

What racing I did see was not too bad although I think Nicki had all his christmases last night in one go...how he continued to be kept in the races I will never know although I disagreed with the cheer which went up when he came off in the final (oh and the boos).

Stadium - Well what happened to our screen then? Blooming thing not working, couldn't see replays, interviews etc.....very poor show from the stadium. Also the confiscation of air horns outside...although we sneaked ours through by watching the crowd and the stewards :wink:

Information on the buses could have been a lot clearer, we got a bus in and checked to make sure of pick up time and place and it turned out the information was completely wrong (we were not the only ones to be given dud info) and there was no clear signage on where to actually catch a bus from and no person around to actually direct those waiting to the correct place.

Luckily this year, the taxi's were better priced and we didn't get any of the £60 quotes we got last year so managed to get back to the hotel relatively cheaply.

Finally got to bed at 3.30 and was up again at 7 ready for brekkie and the journey home.

There should only have been two riders on the podium. There was no third place rider. It's just silly to suggest otherwise.

Absolutely disgusted with the 'fans', who cheered when Nicki P fell off in the final

He landed on his head and did a couple of somersaults across the track, but the anti- Nicki P fans found it hilarious

There are far too many serious injuries in speedway and fans cheering a rider when he falls, is just pure pathetic and disrespectful.

Also, the decisions between N.Pedersen/ B.Pedersen/ Adams, were all made by the referee not Nicki P. So I don't see how in this world you can blame Nicki, when it is obviously down to the referee's judgement of the incident

Have to completely agree with this post.

I'm one of Nicki's biggest fans but will readily agree that the Adams decision was wrong. BUT, Nicki didn't make the decision. And to suggest that he'd paid off the ref is just ludicrous.

I was disgusted with the grown adults, and supposed speedway "fans" sitting behind and to the right of me who cheered as soon as Nicki hit the deck in the re-run. I have no problem with the pantomime booing, but before the two riders involved in the crash had even finished crashing, let alone got up, was sickening.

And then, when I turned round and asked the woman in question how she could cheer when two riders are on the ground, to be told "you don't know Nicki" and "well he shouldn't even have been in that race" and to get a mouthful of abuse back from her is disgusting. No, I don't know Nicki, and I agree that he perhaps shouldn't have been there. But, jeez, what did he do to deserve being cheered for taking a fall?? Especially before anyone knew that either rider hadn't been injured?!

And then (I'm on a roll now!) for the gentleman (I use the term loosely) two seats away from me to express his opinion - which I listened to - and then for him to tell me to shut up when I went to express mine, well, just leaves me speechless.

Ok, emotions were running high, and perhaps I was a little animated - as were they - but verbal abuse and telling a fellow "supporter" to 'shut up' - I just lost my faith in the human species.

The fact he got straight up, ran to his bike and cleared the track proved in a few split seconds there was no serious injury.

The initial reaction was the same as any crash, but after two seconds and he is up running, then the jeers were only directed at possibly the most disliked rider the sport has seen for many a year.

I'm afraid to say, TNT, that the initial reaction by the Poole/Crump fans in front of me was not what you would expect after a rider has just gone head over heels. This man (a proper fully-grown adult, who should have known better) was cheering, shaking his fists in the air, BEFORE Nicki had moved, let alone got up.

Disgusting.

NP didn't help his cause at all by waving and smirking to the crowd. It incensed them. If had had any sense at the time he woould have kept his head low but baited them by waving after getting through to the final, fully in the knowledge it was strirring them up.

The ref made the bad calls, not NP, buut the crowd see NP as the villian as he was the one to gain from the bad calls.

Nicki's "antics" were the best entertainment of the night after the, IMO, poor racing.

Again that is how he wins Championships, that is why he is World Champion and leads the Championship Nicki know exactly how to play the game.

He wins championships and is world champion because he is a cheat? Right, ok then...!

I always thought Speedway fans a cut above football but no more, will still carry on going but it depresses me that these idiots are more prevalent every year.

:cry:

I completely agree.

In fact, after my "run-in" with the fans behind and to the right of me last night, I was in tears. I was upset at the way I had been spoken to, and I was upset because that was the first time it had dawned on me that speedway is on a steady downward spiral.

Indeed, and still he finished 3rd. What a legend. :approve:

Any controversy last night was down to the ref. In my opinion the Adams exclusion was spot on (sorry again Seb :wink: ), the Bjarne decision was very harsh, a definite all 4 back and major credit to Nicki for clearing the track in the final

100% agree with you, LW.

The day in Cardiff (well, the PoW) was great, and it was nice to say hi to some fellow forum members. (Can I just say, SCB, what a sweetie!! After announcing he needed to go for a wee, he profusely apologised for sharing that info with us, bless.)

But, for me, the actual GP was a bit of a let-down.

The track wasn't great (though I wasn't expecting much more), the racing wasn't very entertaining, though, pleasingly, much of the entertainment came from the Brits, for once!

Certain fans absolutely disgusted me with their language, their hostility, their attitude, their abuse towards fellow supporters and the riders... I'm not sure I'll bother next year, to be honest. I was so upset after what happened with the so-called supporters around me, and it's left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I just hope those people (I would call them fan, but...) are members of this forum and can read this.

Nicki - brilliant for entertainment (someone had to provide it). And, as Hans has once said, the booing just makes him go faster!

Crumpy - class all night, and deserved winner.

Hancock - I think I had his number one fan sitting next to me in the form of my hubby! Brilliant performance and gutted for him he missed out on the win, though he seemed pretty made up with second.

Scotty - felt heartbroken for him in the final, but other than that was a great display all night.

Bomber - can't help but think if he hadn't been battered he might've done a bit more.

Hans - one particularly fast race, other than that didn't really look to be in it. Shame about his semi-final...

Bjarne - surprise of the night for me, well done BP!

AJ, Gollob, Lindgren, Dryml - for me, disappointing.

Eddy - yay, brilliant from the young man, didn't disgrace himself in the slightest.

Edited by leanne1706

I noticed on Marek Wojaczek's wikipedia entry (on the Polish version) there is a link to a website where you can write in the Wojaczek guestbook or e-mail him. The address is www.wojaczek.pl.

I noticed on Marek Wojaczek's wikipedia entry (on the Polish version) there is a link to a website where you can write in the Wojaczek guestbook or e-mail him. The address is www.wojaczek.pl.

If it's anything like the screaming imbecile's, adverse comment will be removed.

Have to completely agree with this post.

I'm one of Nicki's biggest fans but will readily agree that the Adams decision was wrong. BUT, Nicki didn't make the decision. And to suggest that he'd paid off the ref is just ludicrous.

I was disgusted with the grown adults, and supposed speedway "fans" sitting behind and to the right of me who cheered as soon as Nicki hit the deck in the re-run. I have no problem with the pantomime booing, but before the two riders involved in the crash had even finished crashing, let alone got up, was sickening.

And then, when I turned round and asked the woman in question how she could cheer when two riders are on the ground, to be told "you don't know Nicki" and "well he shouldn't even have been in that race" and to get a mouthful of abuse back from her is disgusting. No, I don't know Nicki, and I agree that he perhaps shouldn't have been there. But, jeez, what did he do to deserve being cheered for taking a fall?? Especially before anyone knew that either rider hadn't been injured?!

And then (I'm on a roll now!) for the gentleman (I use the term loosely) two seats away from me to express his opinion - which I listened to - and then for him to tell me to shut up when I went to express mine, well, just leaves me speechless.

Ok, emotions were running high, and perhaps I was a little animated - as were they - but verbal abuse and telling a fellow "supporter" to 'shut up' - I just lost my faith in the human species.

I'm afraid to say, TNT, that the initial reaction by the Poole/Crump fans in front of me was not what you would expect after a rider has just gone head over heels. This man (a proper fully-grown adult, who should have known better) was cheering, shaking his fists in the air, BEFORE Nicki had moved, let alone got up.

Disgusting.

Nicki's "antics" were the best entertainment of the night after the, IMO, poor racing.

He wins championships and is world champion because he is a cheat? Right, ok then...!

I completely agree.

In fact, after my "run-in" with the fans behind and to the right of me last night, I was in tears. I was upset at the way I had been spoken to, and I was upset because that was the first time it had dawned on me that speedway is on a steady downward spiral.

100% agree with you, LW.

The day in Cardiff (well, the PoW) was great, and it was nice to say hi to some fellow forum members. (Can I just say, SCB, what a sweetie!! After announcing he needed to go for a wee, he profusely apologised for sharing that info with us, bless.)

But, for me, the actual GP was a bit of a let-down.

The track wasn't great (though I wasn't expecting much more), the racing wasn't very entertaining, though, pleasingly, much of the entertainment came from the Brits, for once!

Certain fans absolutely disgusted me with their language, their hostility, their attitude, their abuse towards fellow supporters and the riders... I'm not sure I'll bother next year, to be honest. I was so upset after what happened with the so-called supporters around me, and it's left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I just hope those people (I would call them fan, but...) are members of this forum and can read this.

Nicki - brilliant for entertainment (someone had to provide it). And, as Hans has once said, the booing just makes him go faster!

Crumpy - class all night, and deserved winner.

Hancock - I think I had his number one fan sitting next to me in the form of my hubby! Brilliant performance and gutted for him he missed out on the win, though he seemed pretty made up with second.

Scotty - felt heartbroken for him in the final, but other than that was a great display all night.

Bomber - can't help but think if he hadn't been battered he might've done a bit more.

Hans - one particularly fast race, other than that didn't really look to be in it. Shame about his semi-final...

Bjarne - surprise of the night for me, well done BP!

AJ, Gollob, Lindgren, Dryml - for me, disappointing.

Eddy - yay, brilliant from the young man, didn't disgrace himself in the slightest.

Leanne, show me where I have said Nicki cheats, I have not, what I am saying is he know how to play the game, when he goes down he stays down, I think that Nicki is ruthless, and that is why he is the World Champ, that is why he has won Championships, and that is why he will more.

The crowd booing him throwing insults and anything else that want to won't stop Nicki, this is the point that I was trying to point out, he is the talk of the championship, Jason Crump won the British Grand Prix, but who is the rider they are all talking about Nicki Pedersen, and who is the rider who is still leading the Championship, and I will stick my neck out now and say that Nicki will be World Champ again this season.

Nicki know what he is doing, and he ask him if cares who he upsets along the way, and you will probably get the answer that he does not care, if it makes him popular okay, but if not I bet he will tell you he does not care

Oh by the way I am a Nicki Pedersen fan

you've been VERY slow on the uptake Spinny - not like you!

No not like me. :oops: :oops:

Leanne, show me where I have said Nicki cheats, I have not, what I am saying is he know how to play the game, when he goes down he stays down, I think that Nicki is ruthless, and that is why he is the World Champ, that is why he has won Championships, and that is why he will more.

The crowd booing him throwing insults and anything else that want to won't stop Nicki, this is the point that I was trying to point out, he is the talk of the championship, Jason Crump won the British Grand Prix, but who is the rider they are all talking about Nicki Pedersen, and who is the rider who is still leading the Championship, and I will stick my neck out now and say that Nicki will be World Champ again this season.

Nicki know what he is doing, and he ask him if cares who he upsets along the way, and you will probably get the answer that he does not care, if it makes him popular okay, but if not I bet he will tell you he does not care

Oh by the way I am a Nicki Pedersen fan

My apologies, I assumed wrong. Your reply was to two others who had agreed that Nicki puts the bike down too easy, stays down etc etc - after what everyone else has said about Nicki being a cheat, I thought this is what they meant was his alleged cheating.

Sorry, again, I just read your post wrong.

My apologies, I assumed wrong. Your reply was to two others who had agreed that Nicki puts the bike down too easy, stays down etc etc - after what everyone else has said about Nicki being a cheat, I thought this is what they meant was his alleged cheating.

Sorry, again, I just read your post wrong.

No problem, no offence taken, the Grand Prix would not be the same without Nicki.

No problem, no offence taken, the Grand Prix would not be the same without Nicki.

Agreed :approve: though I think we may be in the minority!

Not being arond on sat i managed to avoid the result and watched the re run on sunday afternoon very good meeting. felt sorry for Adams and Bjane as all four should have been the call .

Good to see crump back to his old self as he seem to have lost his focus over the last year and a half and will now give nicki somethink to worried about .

First chance to post on last night.

First of all big well done to Crumpie on winning and his nice comments regarding Belle Vue although I imagine 99% of the folks inside the stadium don't think BV are the best club in Britain.

Nice drive down, met up with my Auntie and Uncle in Cardiff and just chilled in the grounds of the castle most of the afternoon watching the speedway folk go by.

Good job I don't suffer with vertigo as the seats we had, though I'm not complaining as I won them, were very high above the fourth bend. Great security going into the stadium. Big sign saying no recording equipment etc is allowed. I had a bag carrying what could only have been a camcorder and did I get stopped.........nope. The sign also said that mobile phones must be turned off once inside the stadium.....I imagine nobody entered the competition then?

Gutted that the screen above bends 1 and 2 wasn't working as this meant we couldn't see any of the replays and who put the big SGP logo on the same bends upside down? Amazed nobody noticed it at the stadium and changed it.

Racing wasn't much to write home about TBH. Not much passing but I put that down to bad track preperation. Ref was useless IMO but I can't be bothered getting involved with the in-depth discussions about his decisions that have been going on. Should have been all 4 back both times.

The Riders:

Adams - Not at his best but was unlucky to be excluded in his final outing.

Dryml - May as well not have bothered.

Nicholls - Best GP for a long time. Nerves got the better of him in the final.

Iversen - Rode well IMO. Made a big mistake in heat 20 that led to him and Bomber taking a tumble.

Harris - As Nicholls. Brave lad to come out for the rerun of heat 20.

Gollob - Not in the mood and it showed. Poor IMO.

Lindgren - Battled was not really at the races. Still wondering where he had both wheels over the white line (not seen the TV replay yet)

Holta - Good when gated but looked poor when he didn't. Glad to see him get up after he clipped Nicki's back wheel and hig-sided it.

Kennett - On the pace but was easily picked off when leading.

N Pedersen - Luckiest rider of the night. Simple as that.

Kasprzak - Same as Dryml IMO. Poor

Crump - Awesome. Gating well and riding the track well. Miracle he stayed on in his last ride.

Hancock - Same as Crump. Gating well and rode really well.

Andersen - Below par IMO. Seen him have better GP's.

Jonsson - Same as Andersen.

B Pedersen - Best GP for a long, long time. Unlucky to be thrown out of the first semi-final.

The missus was gutted she didn't get to Simon Stead in action........I wasn't :lol:

Roll on 2009.

First of all what a great day! I felt like a bit of a "Billy No Mates" heading down on my own after all the years of undercover operations with the Swindon mafia, but yesterday was definitely my best Cardiff ever, and that was before I even saw a wheel truned in anger. Within 2 minutes of arriving at the PoW I was deep in conversation with Silver Bee and Babe619 and I don't think I stopped talking 19 to the dozen until I finally fell asleep on the coach after midnight. To cap it all, when we got back the the old Snail charm pursuaded the driver to drop me at the Abbey rather than the County Ground so that I was staggering distance from home. :approve:

I think I met 22 new Forum members altogether, although I'm sure that I may have forgotten 1 or 2 as the "Brains" count headed towards double figures! I'll update my list when I get a minute. It was also great to see so many "old faces" too, especially Sandie (who sorted out my ticket), Dorset Delight (who bizarrely remembered me comparing Zabik's appalling attendance record with Grange Hill's Gripper Stebson), Paulco (who bought me a beer even though I was deep in conversation with shazzy and TNT) and Queen Bee (who looked so pleased to see me that I thought there must have been a real hunk stood just over my shoulder). :D

As for the meeting, well I've seen it again sober and there is no doubt that it was ruined by the referee. Leigh wasn't having a good night anyway, but quite what he did wrong in Heat 17 was beyond me. If he'd have made the semi final then anything could have happened. Nicki should have been out, end of. For the same thing to happen to Bjarne shortly afterwards was inexcusable if not altogether surprising.

At least the best man won the meeting, and not just because the Snail millions were invested at 9-2. Good on ya Jason, finally back on the gas. :approve:

Credit to the Brits too - Eddie battled gamely in every ride, Bomber was brave without quite hitting last year's dizzy heights and Scott was quick all night even if his bottle went just at the crucial moment. One day maybe? :unsure:

Roll on 2009!

Edited by Seb the Snail

I don't think Scotty's bottle went at all. He knew that gate 3 had been rubbish all night and he knew that the only way he stood a chance was to make the gate. He was obviously really up for it, but mis-judged it, as did Jonsson twice in the previous semi on the same gate, luckily for Andreas he didn't touch the tapes, he just got a flyer - twice!! Well Done Scotty rode his socks off, really proud of him. Of course I am disappointed, would have loved to have seen how he would have done if he had made the gate successfully.