British Speedway Forum

Hmmm! I thought that from reading the post on your link, something to do with him and Ljung!

Not a clue about the rest of it though! :blink: sorry, should add there that I hope they are OK!

No, I think only Franchetti was involved - Wolbert and Ljung are mentioned due to a pass earlier in the race. From "poltran":

They were changed with (from) during one encirclement places twice Ljung Wolbertem.

Which I'd assume means that on the first lap (encirclement) Ljung and Wolbert swapped places twice.

Edited by Subedei

I dont understand how people can say did Davey Watt even want to partake in the GP Qualifiers. I think every rider wants to do this as the GP's are the ultimate goal. And to try and ride both for your club and individually deserves praise. It was just very unfortunate that the only flight that could get him to the GP qualifier was delayed.

I dont understand how people can say did Davey Watt even want to partake in the GP Qualifiers. I think every rider wants to do this as the GP's are the ultimate goal. And to try and ride both for your club and individually deserves praise. It was just very unfortunate that the only flight that could get him to the GP qualifier was delayed.

Okay, if he did want to partake in the qualifiers, why didn't he ride in the Australian qualifiers?

Couldve been anything but im going to say the cost of taking quick bikes back to australia and also his family.

Okay, if he did want to partake in the qualifiers, why didn't he ride in the Australian qualifiers?

Because he wanted to spend the winter in England with his partner and daughter rather than travel back home!

Couldve been anything but im going to say the cost of taking quick bikes back to australia and also his family.

But surely the GPs are the "ultimate goal"?

But surely the GPs are the "ultimate goal"?

But you have to have the finance to pay for it!!

Its not like popping across to Europe from Dover and driving a few hours in a van!!!

You have to pack up bikes, crate them, go through all the customs hassle, pay a lot for the priviledge and then do it all again on the return (including any broken bits otherwise customs get a bit funny!!!!).

This trip costs £1,000's to put together and the reward (financially) never meets it.

These guys have ambitions but they also have families and commitments.

Sub - Im sure they would be very grateful to you if you could source the funding for a trip like this. Now lets see - how many of them are there?????? :wink:

If I've hinted that perhaps he may not have been that bothered and it's not correct, then I apologise. I just had a hazy memory that he mentioned such in an article after his late call up in the last time. I could well be wrong ( it certainly wouldn't be the first time :P) and another rider said it, but totally agree with your point about the deserved praise - he's got my unreserved respect for doing so.

Nice to see that although Mr. Watt didn't make it to his qualifier, Suzie Q's day wasn't totally ruined as she'll still have Lee Richardson to support in the final.

Nice to see that although Mr. Watt didn't make it to his qualifier, Suzie Q's day wasn't totally ruined as she'll still have Lee Richardson to support in the final.

2.gif

Because he wanted to spend the winter in England with his partner and daughter rather than travel back home!

:shock: He can't have a life and a speedway career you should know that :wink:

2.gif

Oh I know that tune, I'll be singing along with you :approve:

He can't have a life and a speedway career you should know that

He can have a speedway career, just not at the highest level. All depends what he wants out of his career doesn't it, I guess everyone who makes it to the top of any profession has to make sacrifice.

Overbooking costs Watt GP semi spot

By Phil Chard

DAVEY Watt admitted he felt "physically sick" after seeing his world title ambitions disappear because of an apparent overbooking on an aeroplane flight.

The Pirates star missed Grand Prix qualifier semi-final one at Motala in Sweden on Saturday when he was stranded at Amsterdam airport after claiming he was not allowed to board his morning flight to Linkoping with KLM.

Watt hastily fixed up another flight from the Dutch city to Stockholm which would still have allowed him to get to Motala in time to take part in the World Championship meeting.

But there was an unexpected delay in take-off, so when he eventually arrived in Sweden it was too late to reach Motala to line up in the event.

Luckless Watt, who had elected to ride for Poole Castle Cover at Coventry on Friday night, said: "I flew from Heathrow to Amsterdam and then ran from one end of the airport to the other. I got there in plenty of time.

"I was halfway through the queue but when I got to the front, a member of staff said you have to stand over there.

"They didn't really say why, so I stood there and waited. Time went by and the rest of the queue boarded the plane except me, and two other people.

"Then they said We have overbooked the flight and there is no room for you'.

"I still have my boarding pass and just can't believe it because I did everything I could to get on the flight, and felt physically sick when they wouldn't allow me."

Watt, speaking to the Echo from Poland where he was riding yesterday, added: "I just ran to the transfer desk and tried to get another flight.

"There weren't any more flights to Linkoping until 9.30pm. So I got the next flight to Stockholm but that was delayed because there was something wrong with the plane.

"I didn't land in Stockholm until 3pm and the meeting started at 4pm. Even if I'd driven like a madman in a hired car, I wasn't going to make it."

Watt, who even considered hiring a helicopter to fly him from Stockholm to Linkoping, continued: "To add insult to injury, the airline lost my engine.

"It was just one of the most depressing, worst days of my life.

"I don't think I've ever missed any meeting ever before through anything other than injury.

"I've never missed a meeting because of a flight. It was absolutely ridiculous.

"In the end, I didn't even bother going to the meeting. There was no point."

To make matters worse for Watt, his replacement Kenneth Bjerre, first reserve, qualified for the final with nine points.

"Overbooking costs Watt GP semi spot" - Wrong.

He chose to miss practice and therefore left himself far less time than is allowed. That was his decision, nothing to do with any airline, overbooked or otherwise.

But if his plane wasnt overbooked he would have got there in time .