British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longlivefrankie

Time For A Proper World Cup?

I vaguely remember a competition in the 70s that was a sort of World Cup between nations run as a series of Test Matches

i think this was only a one-season wonder.

I think it was ostensibly staged to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of the 'first' speedway meeting at West Maitland.

The thing I would prefer is a format where pairs from each team rode in a heat to encourage team riding rather then individuals and possibly change the points scoring to 4,3,2,1 just to make it interesting. No real fun seeing Leigh Adams the length of a straight ahead of a guy from say Hungary.

The answer possibly could be to bring back team matches and and have home and away internationals with the top four qualifiers going into a quarter final with the final held at a neutral venue. For example Poland and Denmark in the final held in Germany or the Czech Republic (or Mildenhall :lol:).

I think change is needed and perhaps it should be held every two years rather than annually which would allow for the qualification meetings.

there were three attempts at international tournaments in the sixties/seventies, firstly the patchy world league in the late sixties which i think was basically a couple of matches norminated in various test series - in those days test series were major events.

secondly a internations tournament i think in 72 or 73 then the daily mirror backed international tournament in 73 or 74 culminating in a pulsating TV covered final at wembley between england & sweden which ended in a draw needed a run off beween PC & michanek ending in exclusion for anders controlversially. of course it wasnt the only amazing race between Pc & anders that year if my memory is correct there was waht has been descried as the greatest race ever at the zoo between them in a KO cup match i htink where alomst every bend they passed each other!!!!

there were other mini tournaments in the eighties involving 4 nations to celebrate various anniversaries

back to topic i suggested the seeds to the cup finals rounds to try and two minor nations to fight their way through rough example below-every 4 years!!!!

qualifying groups - 1-scotland, hungary, norway & austria 2-germany, slovenia, italy & finland 3 USA, south africa, new zeland & malaysia 4-wales (he he!), russia, holland & france

qulifying final group - winners from all groups - top 2 to finals

world cup finals -

group 1 - GB, Den, Czech & qualifier

group 2 - Swd, Pol, Aus & qualifier

finals in UK for example

GB V Cze-coventry

Den V Qual-peterborough

Qaul V Gb-eastbourne

Cze V den - sheffield

& so on

OK there will be hammerings but eventually as i football/cricket/rugby....

Edited by longlivefrankie

Spot on - 1973 Daily Mirror sponsored tournament around the UK tracks. England, Australia, NZ, Russia, Poland, Sweden and Norway/Denmark. One big group of 7, rode each other once over a 2-3 week period. Matches were over the 13 heat format.

The final was a 39-39 draw, PC beat MIchanek in a runoff at Wembley after Anders knocked him off and was excluded.

Not sure combined teams add much credibility to a World Cup tournament.

Well remember that tournament and being on the bend where the Michanek/Collins incident took place. Having watched replay on youtube that decision could easily have gone either way. Excellent summer of speedway.

How strange to look back just 35 years and Denmark had to combine with Norway to put a team out, given the strength in depth they have today (also just as well since Norway have now thrown their lot in with Poland)

The swc should be run every two years with 2 teams in each meeting with 7 man teams with 2 riders from each team in each heat. This would decide the best TEAM. In the current format say for instance Denmark win this year they will be the best set of indivduals not the best team.

In the year off we could have a week of test matches, whcih could decide SWC seedings.