British Speedway Forum
Engine man

Ron Mountford

See thread on Eric Boocock-looks like Ron was about to land one on Ivor Brown-at least things were guaranteed to happen when either of those guys were around.

I am now back in the sixties. Time, about an hour before tapes up. Me and my speedway mad mates are on our way to Oxford for a meeting against the bees. Travelling down a country road in the cotswolds a vehicle suddenly appears in the rear view mirror at great speed. Woosh. It has gone past with a trailer with two speedway bikes on. The trailer bucking about like a frightened rabbitt. The riders? Ron Mountford and Rick France of course. Straight from the garage. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute. Yet they were always there for the start. Would not be possible today of course with all the speed cameras. Great memories. Loved seeing Ron ride anywhere but if I had to pick a favourite it would have to be the County ground Exeter. To see him battling with Colin Goody on the track and then fisticuffs in the pits after. Heaven. O dear I feel a lump coming in my throat!

We were travelling down to Oxford for a Cheetahs/Bees one evening when (whoosh) a Ford (Zodiac?) pulling a trailer with bikes and inside, yes, Ron & Rick. Happy Days.

Wasn't Ron blind in one eye?

Sorry about the late reply "HarryA".

Yes Ron was either blind or had very poor vision in one eye. I understand a workshop accident in the mid 60's resulted in a shard of metal or steel splinter penetrating his eye. I seem to remember he was a long time recovering and sadly I don't think he ever regained full vision and consequently the form of earlier years. The early 60's were in my opinion his best years for the Bee's particularly his partnership with Ken McKinlay in the GB team, the second test at Coventry vs Soviet Russia was particularly memorable.

indeed. great rider.

I probably missed him at his peak as I started going in 1968 and he was out injured for a long time - came back tentatively in 2nd half races early 1970 and soon broke into the team again at reserve. He never made heat leader status again but probably peaked in his later career in the very successful 1971 team alongside the likes of Boocock, Simensen, Owen, Cottrell, Hill, Harrhy and Lomas. Two meetings I remember well - away at Cradley when he made his comeback and recorded a dead heat for 1st with a certain Mr Colin Pratt in one ride!

Then there was an away match at Oxford (must have been 71) in mid summer. He was riding at 7 and returned a 0 in his first ride, then proceeded to reel off three wins in a row, using his favoured outside line, to win Coventry the meeting, 37-41 if I remember correctly. Vintage stuff...

In 72 he was a pale shadow of the rider from 71 and quit after the Cradley away match if I remember correctly.

Ron Mountford always was a particular thorn in the side of the Norwich Stars when he rode for Birmingham in the team which contained Eric Boothroyd, Alan "Whacker "Hunt and Ivor Davies. It was always a tough battle home or away.

Didn't Ron have a couple of rides with West Ham? .... he certainly had a few second half rides there before finally packing it in ......

Don't think Ron rode for W.H.-might have been a guest on occasion???

I cannot recall Ron Mountford riding for the Hammers, unless as a guest rider. But then 1965 saw a lot of riders in unfamiliar team line-ups following the "invention" of the new league set-up