British Speedway Forum
arnieg

End Of Era Meeting At Smallmead

Will Zagar and Bird be there ?

I think it is safe to assume that they weren't :blink:

So no Schramm, hopefully no Such, 2 places up for grabs - and a chance to bring the meeting to life a bit (please don't just promote the reserves!), are Bunyan and Doyle available, or a couple more spare Robins to go round!

Update from the Reading website:

A couple of late changes to Sunday’s line-up see Chris Mills and Chris Schramm replaced by Paul Clews and Linus Sundstrom, respectively.

Of course, Clews needs no introduction to Reading supporters, having made 208 official club appearances and netting 1,096 points between 1998 and 2003, when his trademark swoops from the back became a regular feature of Smallmead meetings.

Sundstrom, meanwhile, is a 17-year-old Swedish hot-shot, who hails from Avesta. He showcased his undoubted talent in a four-team tournament at Swindon last Sunday, when he impressively notched 11 points from four rides and helped Bristol Bulldogs to a fine success.

** HOT NEWS

At the very end of Sunday’s End-of-an-Era meeting, the final four laps are going to be completed by Racers’ team manager Tim Sugar.

This is a fitting honour to a man who has reached legendary status, having guided the club to glory on no less than nine occasions, as follows:

League Champions – 1990, 1992, 1997

Knock-Out Winners – 1990, 1998

Four-Team Champions – 1993

Premiership Winners – 1991, 1993

BSPA Cup Winners – 1992

Sugar, who has previously ridden in mechanics’ races, said: “I was a little dubious when first asked if I would like to cover the last four laps, but it is a great honour and I was delighted to accept.

“Naturally, I’m not out to break Per Jonsson’s track record, but it will be great to have ridden the last four laps on the circuit where be performed so brilliantly.

“We have been blessed with so many fabulous riders here over the last 33 years and to be the last man on the circuit will simply be fantastic for me.”

REVISED LINE-UP FOR SUNDAY 19 OCTOBER 2008, Engines Start 6.00 p.m.

1. Ulrich Ostergaard; 2. Glen Phillips; 3. Chris Neath; 4. Cory Gathercole; 5. Emil Kramer; 6. Tom P. Madsen; 7. Richard Sweetman; 8. Linus Sundstrom; 9. Robert Mear; 10. Danny Warwick; 11. Tomas Suchanek; 12. Jordan Frampton; 13. Paul Clews; 14. Mark Lemon; 15. Mads Korneliussen; 16. Shawn McConnell.

Good news about Tim Sugar getting the last few laps, but the line-up gets less inspiring by the day.

So why no Schramm and Mills - they make a good double-act, although perhaps after his last few performances Millsy didn't feel it was right to appear or does anyone know better the reason?? See the S0000sh is turning up! Did notice that Andrew Silver is riding at Rye on Sat and his dad is at Reading on Sunday - any chance he could get a last minute inclusion??

Be a sad day though, hope the weather stays fine, the racing is befitting the history and everyone gets through it unscathed with the Big O as the final race winner.

Look forward to seeing all the 'armchair' Racers fans out in force for a one off event such as this!

Disappointed that there is no Schrammy at tomorrows meeting but it won't spoil the day for us Newport supporters who are making the trip up. Everyone is looking forward to this meeting immensly and has been for weeks. We are not concerned about how strong the field is for the meeting it is about saying goodbye to Reading Speedway a place where we have had many fantastic times and holds so many memories for us Wasps.

Just a couple that springs to mind as I write is when Frank Smart came out on the parade truck, it was his first meeting as Captain of the Wasps. Somebody had given him a cap with Captain Frankie on and it just made the moment, we were all so proud of Frank and our team on that day. The days when the Newport supporters used to turn the 3rd bend yellow.

Another time was when Ben Howe was taking part in a testimonial meeting and decided he was going to have a go at being passenger, or was it driver! Anyway all I can remember is that the sidecar left the track and nearly ploughed into all the prizes centre field and sent people running for cover.

Nice people and a great track to go and watch at, Reading will be greatly missed.

I too hope this meeting is a great success and the weather is good.

Personally I don't think I could attend a meeting like this as I'd probably embarrass everyone by bawling my eyes out at the end. It's bad enough at the last meeting of the season at Coventry when I feel really sad. :lol:

It's made me realise when Leicester closed it was perhaps just as well that it was done on the sly with no-one knowing it was the last ever meeting, except the Coventry promotion at the time.

Must admit Gem, as much as I'm looking forward to seeing some old favourites back at Smallmead it's not a meeting I'm looking forward to, but is also a meeting I can't not attend. Being there for the first meeting at Smallmead I have to be there for the last one too as sad as it will be. :cry:

One further change to the line up announced. Former Racer Glan Phillips has withdrawn from the meeting through injury and is replaced with Krzysztof Stojanowski.

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

Has a texter been found? :unsure:

SMALLMEAD END OF AN ERA, Reading

1 Ulrich Ostergaard (Reading)

2 Chris Neath (Rye House)

3 Jordan Frampton (Somerset)

4 Linus Sundstrom (Unattached)

C/O BSPA

SMALLMEAD END OF AN ERA, Reading

1 Ulrich Ostergaard (Reading)

2 Chris Neath (Rye House)

3 Jordan Frampton (Somerset)

4 Linus Sundstrom (Unattached)

C/O BSPA

By the looks of his results in the Ace of Herts and today, Linus Sundstrom certainly seems as though he could do a reasonable job in the PL.