British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kaybtee

Chris Holder For Gp

There is a big point being missed here so far and that is that BSI rarely (never?) give a wild card to a 'nation' who already have 3 riders in the competition..........but there is nothing they can do if a '4th' rider qualifies...................... so if Ryan Sullivan qualifies as of right I think that Chris Holder is likely to be left out ...... if Flyin Ryan doesnt make it then i'd say that Chris Holder has a great chance of being given a wildcard

While the 'quota' system makes a certain amount of sound business sense it can only go so far and this might be put to the test if Bomber and Scotty continue to drift off the pace ............ I cant remember when BSI gave a wildcard to someone who was behind in GP points to someone they didnt give a wild card to

I think that there are 3 outstanding candidates for wildcards who arent already in the competition...... Hampel, Sajfutdinov and Holder........ add these to the 3 qualifiers and that leaves 2 wild cards from the GP field ........ atm that would be Lindgren.... and the final spot a test of BSI quota policy with the question of whether they would give one to a brit or to Iversen who is above them in points...... unless Iversen makes it easy for them by qualifying

One thing is for sure... things are starting to look grim for Dryml, Kaprzak, Bjarne, Bomber and Scotty

re: Tai....... judging by his SWC performance the guy will attack anything head on and give a good account of himself..... but even then his standard wouldnt be the biggest thing holding him back...... it is having the infrastructure and finances in place to tackle the GP's......... he isnt even sure if he will be stepping up to the EL next season so the GP's would be very unlikely

I cant remember when BSI gave a wildcard to someone who was behind in GP points to someone they didnt give a wild card to

At the end of the 2005 season Hans Andersen was above Lee Richardson, but Richardson got the nomination and Andersen didn't. Best thing that ever happened to Andersen and one of the worst that happened to Richardson, in speedway terms. Andersen had to address his failure and show his desire to compete at the highest level, Richardson spent the next season (2006) being humiliated on a regular basis.

Quite true

Do I vaguely remember some controversial and critical comments made by Hans that led to that decision?

Quite true

Do I vaguely remember some controversial and critical comments made by Hans that led to that decision?

Yes, you do remember correctly. And he had a point, here's the table:

http://www.speedwayworld.tv/en/sgpchamp

Andersen was 9 points up on Richardson and had a GP win in the bag from 2004. Still, worked out well for Andersen. Gave him the required kick to get his career back on track, while the "favoured" British riders, such as Richardson and the global superstar have drifted. Richardson sank and it looks like the global superstar is taking in water faster than the Titanic.

And he had a point

what point?

I dont remember his comments being made after the wild cards had been picked ..... I remember comments criticising the way the gp's were run before the wildcards were picked

ie nothing to do with Rico or Rico being picked over him.............. yes he made comments following that but we are discussing the only case of someone being passed over for someone with lower points and the possible reasons why

lol and a gp win in 04 should have very little to do with it................ on that basis Mr Subedei it seems you think Bomber should be given a wild card for next season following his Cardiff win in 07 :wink::rolleyes:

edit:

I think that there are 3 outstanding candidates for wildcards who arent already in the competition...... Hampel, Sajfutdinov and Holder........ add these to the 3 qualifiers and that leaves 2 wild cards from the GP field

and my maths dont add up .... looks like I'd forgotten that each GP has a wildcard for the night so things are even more tense for Freddie, NKI, and the Brits

Edited by spook

Trouble is, Holder was not good enough to get through the GP qualifying and was knocked out earlier this year. By all means nominate him but as for every nominated rider, there are others who have just missed qualification that could rightly feel aggrieved.

Having said that, the qualifiers through the rounds for this years GP haven't really set it alight either - Dryml, Kasprzak, Pedersen?

I don't think it's a case of "not being good enough", to be honest. He had a nightmare of a qualifier, with two efs and an exclusion, which was deemed unfair by those who were there (and post on here). His other two races he won, but too late then!

If he doesn't get a Wild Card for 2009, am sure he will qualify next year for 2010. Chris is still only 20 years old and has time on his side.

Sorry I should have read it properly before posting - What I meant to say is that Sky are one of three key host broadcasters for the GP series along with Canal + Poland and Canal + Scandinavia the money these 3 brands pay for the GP rights means that they get a certain amount of input into the series including full time wild card places. Especially now IMG are the owners money and contracts mean more than the riders

Thank you, Flagrag. My two remaining little grey cells are grateful for the enlightenment you have bestowed upon them!

Quite true

Not entirely sure, but I think Hans had the temerity to criticise some aspect of the GP series (it might have been track preparation, it might have been ref decisions, can't quite remember). Come nomination time he found a rider below him in the standings getting a spot instead of him. Most riders have towed the public line since that lesson was handed out.

chris will attempt to qualify like all the other riders in 2009.

:mad:

All the other riders except a certain Brit who'll be relying on his yearly nomination?

lol and a gp win in 04 should have very little to do with it................ on that basis Mr Subedei it seems you think Bomber should be given a wild card for next season following his Cardiff win in 07 :wink::rolleyes:

Certainly Harris should get a nomination ahead of someone who has scored fewer points than him and hasn't won a GP.

chris will attempt to qualify like all the other riders in 2009.

Of course, but he might be given a berth anyways, would he take it, surely he would?

I won't be going to Cardiff next year as i will be away on holiday,

I say this because if a brit doesn't get nominated and only have the wild card for the night i would still go, if not on holiday.

This year i have been to Sweden twice and Cardiff and although i ALWAYS want the brits to do well i also shout for Freddie and NKI (being a wolves fan).

I think that beacuse the GP stars ride in the UK people would still go to the GP's if there was no Brit in it.

Belle Vue fans i bet you want Jason to do well in the GP's and would go and watch him.

Lakeside Fans you would cheer for AJ in the GP's

Poole fans you would shout for Bjarne.

What i am getting at here is that because you support your rider everyweek, i think most people would then go to the GP to support them even if no Brits were there?

Maybe i am wrong but i am still going to go to Sweden next year, If there are some Brits i hope they will do well, but i would also hope that if Wolves had a GP star in their team i would hope they did well.

All the other riders except a certain Brit who'll be relying on his yearly nomination?

Which one might that be? :unsure:

I won't be going to Cardiff next year as i will be away on holiday,

I say this because if a brit doesn't get nominated and only have the wild card for the night i would still go, if not on holiday.

This year i have been to Sweden twice and Cardiff and although i ALWAYS want the brits to do well i also shout for Freddie and NKI (being a wolves fan).

I think that because the GP stars ride in the UK people would still go to the GPs if there was no Brit in it.

Belle Vue fans i bet you want Jason to do well in the GP's and would go and watch him.

Lakeside Fans you would cheer for AJ in the GP's

Poole fans you would shout for Bjarne.

What I am getting at here is that because you support your rider every week, I think most people would then go to the GP to support them even if no Brits were there?

Maybe i am wrong but i am still going to go to Sweden next year, If there are some Brits i hope they will do well, but i would also hope that if Wolves had a GP star in their team i would hope they did well.

I feel that those two comments sum up the situation accurately and succinctly, Sunnset.