British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Jack Scott

I have heard from Oz that 1960 Southampton rider Jack Scott is in hospital having a triple by pass op

I have heard from Oz that 1960 Southampton rider Jack Scott is in hospital having a triple by pass op

Is that the Jack Scott who later rode in the Prov.League??-lets hope he does better under surgery than poor Joe Thurley did under the British NHS

Jack Scott rode for Provincial League team Plymouth in the first meeting that I ever attended in July 1961 at Monmore Green. Plmouth thrashed an injury depleted Wolverhampton and Jack scored a four ride maximum.

He did not return from Australia following the end of the 1961 PL season until he joined Cradley in the British League in 1967 riding only 16 matches before returning home to Oz never to be seen in the UK again.

Thanks for the info. I hope to get a few pictures of Jack sent to me from OZ and fingers crossed he will be ok after the heart op

I will put any pics on the defunct site

Now I recall Jack-from Cradley H. in 1967.

Jack hasn't been well for quite some time. Other medical complications have caused the heart surgery to be delayed for some months. I know his sister and will try to find some information. Jack is a very private person and may not want a fuss made though.

Jack's sister has informed me that the surgery is scheduled for tomorrow Australian time - September 8. Let's hope all goes well for him.

Jack rode for Southampton 1959 to 61, in the back window of his car was the cut out from a box of paper hankies 'Scotties'

Get well soon Jack

Edited by peatbog

2248889320103948496S200x200Q85.jpgIn 1961 Jack Scott, on loan from his parent club Southampton, had been the phenomenon of the Prov’l Lge. with Plymouth Bulldogs, having invested in new equipment from a UK pools win after 2 struggling years at Banister Court. He scored 212 league point, second only to Ivor Brown with 213pts, (though he disappointed in the Harringay PLRC, - but was the only PL rider to get thru the NL rounds to the British Final of the World Chmpshp at Wembley. Quite a feat.) On such form he ought to have earlier reverted to the NL, but the SCB refused it, declaring S’ton, with new men Briggs and Knutsson, to be too strong. It cost S’ton the 1961 NL title !

With a NL place guaranteed, Scott failed to return to the UK in ’62. It was 1967 before he returned, despite attempts by everyone, every year, to sign him up, when, as current Aussie Champion, Cradley made a coup and lured him, - on a 2-year contract at that ! The preceding year Cradley had signed the new Aussie champ, Chum Taylor. Their need for a former NL heat-leader in the amalgamated British Lge had become obvious, and former World Finalist and WTC rider Chum was to be that man. But at 38 years old, the Coca-Cola Kid, (Chum’s employer, who’s logo he bore on his tank, and of whom he loyally would speak, -“Pepsi ? no comparison”,) disappointed, with an average of just 6.3 and had to take much criticism. That was to be his last year of UK league racing, I think.

Undeterred, Cradley again signed the newly-crowned Aussie Champion, - Jack Scott. With visions of his 1961 performances still in mind, surely he would do better than last year’s champ, we all thought. Scottie flew in, and for the first month used Ken Wakefield’s Rotrax-Jap whilst his ESO was on the high seas, (the norm back then.) He did …? (well, - not too bad, ) “ But wait till his own bike arrives” we said. He proceeded to get some double figures, then had a couple of falls and blown motors, and in early June he walked out of a mtg. and wasn’t seen for a few weeks! Scott and his wife had been living in the Midlands near the track at Quarry Bank. She was getting homesick, we learnt: they went down South to familiar territory and put up with fellow Aussie Geoff Mudge and his wife. Two weeks later they were sailing back to Aussie, having sold his equipment to buy tickets home ! Chum Taylor was now lauded for his loyalty in staying the course through the season despite poorer than expected results, ( 34 appearances, ave. 6.3, c.f. Scott’s 16 appearnces, ave. 6.5,) and Jack Scott was never forgiven, – nor chased by any British promoter again.

Notwithstanding, I’m sure all UK supporters who remember Jack wish him well thru the heart operation and trust he will revert to better health. (Any update ?)

Edited by britmet

Jack has been discharged from hospital and is back at home. The surgery knocked him around quite a lot and he isn't feeling 100%.
thats understandbile

Glad to hear Jack is ok-wasn't there another rider of the same name around the same era??

I guess you are thinking of 'Bluey' Scott, who rode in the 50's/60's at various tracks - Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Glasgow amongst them. I think he rode through till about 1966 in the UK.

Glad to hear Jack is ok-wasn't there another rider of the same name around the same era??

I don't recollect another rider, BUT at the same time, 1960, Canadian Jack Scott sang "What in the World's Come Over You" ino the UK hit parade.