British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bazaar3

Gp Challenge

Walasek,Ulamek and Bjerre?.They will liven up the GP's no end.What a shambles.I despair,i really do. :angry:

HOW is it a shambles they qualified fair and square everybody else (ie the Holders of the world) had the same chance and these three were the ones who took that chance. I say well done lads and good luck next season.

im sure the cry will go up again

nicholls is no good and harris dont deserve a place.....

lets face facts here the british supporters and british TV bankroll the GP series, if that means the two brits get automatic places then so be it, even if they get 1 or 0 points each gp.

cardiff gets more supporters than all the tracks put together, what does that tell us?

that none speedway people go and want to see brits ride, they are not interested in joe a to z from polland, they want to see brits, sky too, if ther were no brits sky would soon get fed up as the audiences would die.

they worst thing anyone could do is listen to this forum, the majority who would pay to see four flys race on an oval circuit, we are not typical!

in summary:

there should always be at least two places for brits, not matter how bad they get!

its all about money at the end of the day

Don't forget that BSI ( or IMG) are paid for contracts with Poland and Sweden to also show all the GPs, in the same way that Sky does. Maybe Denmark shows them as well? So they are not totally dependent on the Sky money only.

However, the guys that are BSI are mostly British so naturally would opt for British riders.

The other point is, that Cardiff is not only attended by British supporters. Cardiff is full of Poles on the day, plus Swedes, Danes, etc.

I can see the day when they would not see Brits as a top priority. The Polish and Swedish Elite Leagues seem far and away superior to us now and Russia is maybe on the horizon. Add to that the number of good Aussies coming through over here as well.

Just my thoughts. :)

The thing is, SGP isn't like other forms of Grands Prix. In the SGP a rider has to build a team, while in other Grands Prix a new talent is absorbed into an existing team, for example, Lewis Hamilton coming into the McLaren-Mercedes team.

Riders like Gollob, Nicki P, Adams, Hancock and Co have built their teams - the younger guys will always struggle to compete until they decide they've had enough.

So maybe Adams should think about a request to absorb Holder into his team as his replacement?

BTW: It is not THAT easy to get into a Formula One team. You have to build a massive sponsorship package to even get considered.

Edited by Maddas69

I for one would love to see what happens if he finishes in 9th place and then wins the Super Prix!!

He'd get a s1tload of money but not a place in next years series.

Because he rode well tonight with an obvious injury. And he did say that he would be having sugery in the winter and would carry on riding unless he had another big crash.

Puk had been riding well in the GPs up until he got his injury even making a final and looked a different rider this time around.

Iversen deserves a second chance. Clearly yesterday suffering from his injury in his gating, fighting on an ultra slick track and to get pass riders.

Fair play to the three guys who qualified - but I'd say it could do them more harm than good.

By my reckoning, we'll still have Iversen, Harris and Lindgren return as wild cards.

this gp challenge nonsense needs to be stopped asap.

walasek and ulamek gp riders!!!!!!!!! what a joke. fair play they got threw on merit, but they will do absoloutely nowt in the gps next year, and bjerre will marginally be better.

the amount of tripe threw the years that have got threw and proved to be a laughing stock is bizarre.

the gp challenge is the only thing keeping the GP's honest and more qualification spots should be opened up.......... how about 7? If they did that you would find up to 12 of the GP field taking part in it........ then guys like these wouldnt qualify

3 disappointing qualifiers for me though...... I have no doubts that Bjerre will do himself proud .....but what are we expecting here? I cant see him being anymore than on the cusp of the top 8... hardly a dent in the aspirations and stranglehold of Nicki..... or indeed any kind of influence over the retirements of Tomasz, Leigh and Greg ..... they must be pooing themselves and ready to retire now :unsure::rolleyes:

As for Walasek and Ulamek I think i'd prefer Lukas, Rico or Chrzanowski thankyou

The GP's badly need some new aspiring blood to come in............ it is not good when every single one of us can correctly predict 7 of the top 8 for next (this/last) season............... I guess that they will only come in when they do but imo it is time to drop the Holta's, Nicholls', Bjarne's and make sure that the wildcards are given to 4 of this gang...... Sajfutdinov, Holder, Lindgren, Bomber, Hampel

Riders like Gollob, Nicki P, Adams, Hancock and Co have built their teams - the younger guys will always struggle to compete until they decide they've had enough.

Eh? :unsure:

It's not as if Gollob, Nicki, Adams, Crump and Hancock are on Ferraris, whilst the rest are on Toyotas. I think SGP is a pretty level playing field, unlike F1. The opportunity is there for the younger guys, it's just that none of them have taken it yet. 3/4 years ago most would have foreseen Jonsson, Lindback, Bjerre, Hampel taking over at the top...but none of them have taken their chance. That's not the system's fault, it's not BSI's fault, it's not the older rider's fault. Quite simply, the youngsters have failed to step up to the mark. I just hope that in the next 2/3 years Pavlic, Woffinden, Sajfutdinov, Holder can step up to the plate and deliver.

But SGP suits older, more consistant and experienced riders, especially with so many rounds, those who have a comprehensive back up team, loads of sponsorship etc ......................... it's no wonder the youngsters can't compete!

Jonsson and Lindback were very well backed...but haven't done the biz. Simple as that. We are simply waiting for someone to come along and light up the international scene...similarly to say how a Carter, Lee or even Ermolenko did. It won't happen every year, but it's been a while since we've had a genuine new superstar emerge.

Umm !! two poles that are way out of their depth . Glad i wont be their next year to watch them ride round at the back.

People need to realise that Walasek is a number one in Poland and not the same rider we see over here in the UK struggling around on a 5-6 point average. In Poland he is a serious force to be reckoned with. of course he won't make much of a dent in the GP series but he isn't as bad as many envisage.

But Falcace makes some interesting points. It's very hard for a youngster to come in and compete at this very top level against the old boys.

Not only have the oldies (Crump, Adams, Hancock, Gollob) got a great team in place but they also keep themselves safe and fit. They can go on for years at this level by playing their safe hands. For a youngster to step up and be consistent is almost impossible without hyge backing. Sure they can make a dent ( Lindback almost got there on a couple of occassions and should have won a GP at Daugvapils) but the amount needed to compete competitively throughout a whole GO season is far more than these young lads can possibly earn through points money alone.

There are riders out there who do have the ability to make the breakthrough, but more than skill on a bike is needed. Holder is the obvious candidate but he has already said he just doesn't have the financial resources in place to compete in 2009. If offered a place I doubt he would turn it down, but he probably wouldn't do as well as he would lie with his gear and team stretched to the limit. Same goes for the other youngsters.

Nicki Pedersen is dominating the series as much as TRick did a few years ago. There is no one in the current GP field who can live with him on a consistent basis, so he is realistically going to win the GP series at least two more times before he starts to slip back into the field/someone comes up to challange him.

The days of a Michael Lee/boy wonder coming into the GP series and winning the WC are long gone. Consistency is king and to be consistent means a big back up team, lots experience, and lots of money. And only the old boys have that.

People need to realise that Walasek is a number one in Poland and not the same rider we see over here in the UK struggling around on a 5-6 point average. In Poland he is a serious force to be reckoned with. of course he won't make much of a dent in the GP series but he isn't as bad as many envisage.

But Falcace makes some interesting points. It's very hard for a youngster to come in and compete at this very top level against the old boys.

Not only have the oldies (Crump, Adams, Hancock, Gollob) got a great team in place but they also keep themselves safe and fit. They can go on for years at this level by playing their safe hands. For a youngster to step up and be consistent is almost impossible without hyge backing. Sure they can make a dent ( Lindback almost got there on a couple of occassions and should have won a GP at Daugvapils) but the amount needed to compete competitively throughout a whole GO season is far more than these young lads can possibly earn through points money alone.

There are riders out there who do have the ability to make the breakthrough, but more than skill on a bike is needed. Holder is the obvious candidate but he has already said he just doesn't have the financial resources in place to compete in 2009. If offered a place I doubt he would turn it down, but he probably wouldn't do as well as he would lie with his gear and team stretched to the limit. Same goes for the other youngsters.

Nicki Pedersen is dominating the series as much as TRick did a few years ago. There is no one in the current GP field who can live with him on a consistent basis, so he is realistically going to win the GP series at least two more times before he starts to slip back into the field/someone comes up to challange him.

The days of a Michael Lee/boy wonder coming into the GP series and winning the WC are long gone. Consistency is king and to be consistent means a big back up team, lots experience, and lots of money. And only the old boys have that.

Dont agree about Walasek as he is to interested in partying and does not focus 100% on his riding.

If you are well organised and ride abroad already it is not that expensive to race and do well in the g.p.

Have only just come online and seen the result of this meeting from yesterday...

Would just like to say I am really really chuffed for Kenneth - I think he may well shock a few people next year. :)

As for all the sniping on here. It's getting boring. Certain people are sounding like a stuck record, and their opinions are just nonsense.

These three riders have gotten through by right; they've qualified. They raced against what was put in front of them (in every stage up to the final) and they won, fair and square (I haven't seen any of yesterday's meeting, so I only guess it was all fair and square).

These riders have done what they had to - got through to the GP Challenge, and finished in the top three.

What more do you want, blood!?

As for next year's wildcards - I hope Jonas Davidsson is considered. He was so unfortunate to miss out on competing in the GP Challenge because of his injury, and I think one of those top three places would have been his if he'd been there yesterday.

After Scott's performance on Saturday, I think he has it in him to finish in the top eight, and I hope he does. I think Bomber has been out of his depth this year - it's someone other Brit's turn to give it a go. Who, I don't know... Tai's too young, Kennett's not ready. Stead, Howe, Allen - wouldn't make an impact at all. Danny King? Nah. Richardson showed last night that's he's not up to it. So who?

Bjerre will do well, Walasek will have the odd good score, Ulamek may do, but i doubt it.

Edited by MattyHart