British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Niclas

New Qualificationsystem In Speedway Grand Prix

Today, I read an interesting article in the Swedish motorcycle magazine Race, who refer to the polish newspaper Tygodnik Zuzlowy, who writing about a new qualificationsystem in the Grand Prix.

According to the article the following changes will take place:

- Only the world champion will be directly qualified for the next year Grand Prix.

- The riders from position two until eleven have to qualify to stay in the Grand Prix. But these ten riders will get a free nomination to go straight into the semifinals of the GP Challenge. The rest 22 riders in the semifinals have to qualify the same way as today.

- The top-8 from each semi go to the GP-final.

- And the top-10 from GP Challenge will qualify for the Grand Prix.

- BSI will still nominate four riders for the GP.

The qualificationsrounds starts in June and the semifinal and final will take place after the last GP.

The reasons to make a new system are, according to Andrzej Grodzki, vice president in CCP, that there are to many old riders in the GP and the difficulty to get to the GP for the young riders.

What do you think about this?

absolutely shocking idea. . the reason the old boys are there is because there better than any young riders. if the bsi want a load of youngsters they should make the u21 world champs into a series

Edited by Wildcat

Confusing. What if the WC hasn't been decided before the GP challenge? Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

The qualificationsrounds starts in June and the semifinal and final will take place after the last GP.

Which if Australia is on the agenda for SGP on the 14/11/09 the semis and final will be staged at Christmas.

Cannot see this getting ratified at October's congress, although I suspect some changes to the qualification system may happen, ballinger's SGP qualification blueprint is available for purchase if anyone at the FIM is interested ;-)

How's about the 2010 SGP qualifiers happening prior the the first SGP in 2010. 2 semis at the start of April, SGP challenge 2 weeks later, the first SGP 2010 the last weekend in April ??

Edited by ballinger

Confusing. What if the WC hasn't been decided before the GP challenge? Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

I guess you are right. I think the reason why BSI would like to keep four WC is probalby if riders like Crump, Hans (or the brits) get injured or dont qualify.

Which if Australia is on the agenda for SGP on the 14/11/09 the semis and final will be staged at Christmas.

Cannot see this getting ratified at October's congress, although I suspect some changes to the qualification system may happen, ballinger's SGP qualification blueprint is available for purchase if anyone at the FIM is interested ;-)

GP Challenge in Sydney on Christmas eve might be interesting...

Nothing will change, Ole Olsen will make sure the tracks are rolled to ensure no overtaking, so the usuall gating tarts like Adams, Greg and the Danes will all sail through.

The GP`s prove over and over that in speedway first out of the gate wins.

In case you wonder why i watch them its because i live in hope that one day Olsen does not turn up and the track is prepared for Racing.

- The riders from position two until eleven have to qualify to stay in the Grand Prix. But these ten riders will get a free nomination to go straight into the semifinals of the GP Challenge.

How absurd would it be if a rider who's finished 2nd after 11 rounds, then goes out in a one-off meeting whilst the 11th placed rider re-qualifies? The need to ride in a couple of GP Challenge rounds would also severely complicate the holding of GPs in places like Australia, which realistically need to be staged towards the end of, or after the European season.

Personally I reckon the Top Six should be seeded, 7th to 12th in the GP Challenge along with 10 riders who came through the qualification rounds (the Top Six qualifying from that) and then 3 wild cards (which can not be riders who were given the second chance of the GP Challenge but riders who missed 2+ GPs due to injury may be available for selection).

As mentioned though system like this would probably see the GP Challenge held on ice in the winter. :neutral:

According to the same Polish magazine, Togliatti is due a Grand Prix in 2010.

The current system needs a bit of work but that format in rubbish and who ever thought that up needs a brain check.

The need to ride in a couple of GP Challenge rounds would also severely complicate the holding of GPs in places like Australia, which realistically need to be staged towards the end of, or after the European season.
Why not have an Australian GP in February?

There's no pleasing some. This forum bemoans that top 8 qualify, blah blah, let the top 3, the World Champion, only the top 2 qualify and when it's suggested that may happen, people STILL moan.

And so what if 2nd doesn't qualify and 11th does, wasn't that how it worked pre-GP days? Can you really see the World number 2 not getting a Wildcard though?

And so what if 2nd doesn't qualify and 11th does, wasn't that how it worked pre-GP days? Can you really see the World number 2 not getting a Wildcard though?

With 4 wildcards BSI still invite over 25% of the riders in the "world Championship"

With 4 wildcards BSI still invite over 25% of the riders in the "world Championship"

In how many other motorsports do people have to qualify for the World Championship?

Off the top of my head, I don't know of any other motorsport where the competitor have to qualify. It's usually all down to money, so speedway is ahead of the game in that respect.

Edited by SCB

There's no pleasing some. This forum bemoans that top 8 qualify, blah blah, let the top 3, the World Champion, only the top 2 qualify and when it's suggested that may happen, people STILL moan.

Er,is it the same people?"This forum" :blink: Do we all have the same opinion apart from you?We all speak as one?.

Isn't it what a forum is about?Some want one thing,some want something different.There are always some people who will moan about a change,but there are maybe 6 people so far out of uckknows.......5 or 6,000. :blink: You're getting as bad as Bryn, moaning about the moaners :wink: