British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Silent Bikes

Tucked away in a well known speedway mag, is the statement that the FIM plan to introduce new noise regulations for international speedway events next year that will require riders to use hugely modified silencers. This will result in speedway bikes sounding very different.

Anyone got any other info on this?

Tucked away in a well known speedway mag, is the statement that the FIM plan to introduce new noise regulations for international speedway events next year that will require riders to use hugely modified silencers. This will result in speedway bikes sounding very different.

Anyone got any other info on this?

I remember a Velocette road bike in the 50s [i think] which had all the mechanical aspects shrouded in a light metal casing. It was the quietest bike of the era. Maybe the design is being resurrected for speedway. The answer to noise problems faced by proposed new stadia?

Cant see it happening for 2009 because it will take more than the 6 months between now and the beginning of next season in March to design, develop and homologate new equipment.

The rules should also change in line with other bike sports and instead of running an approved silencer in a specific position on the bike, as now, you would be allowed to have a free choice of design and position as long as it met the 94db(?) limit. It is safer because the silencer could be tucked away more effectively and makes it one less thing to hit the riders during an accident. It just means that there would have to be random noise checks at meetings and I guess the FIM, ACU and the promoters would be unwilling to buy the sound meter and pay the noise examiners expenses.

I'm probably wrong but this has just been sprung on the speedway world. It is to be applauded however, as noise is killing many motorsports venues. I would honesty prefer to watch speedway with quiet bikes that not watch it at all!

While noise is undoubtedly a major component of the attraction of speedway and the sport wouldn't be quite the same withouth it, there would be obvious benefits to having near-silent bikes, not least that it should be much easier to gain planning permission to open new tracks.

I believe that this was raised at the riders briefing - Lonigo GP and its appears that its unlikely to happen until 2010.

Looks like there's someone trying to make his money. There was someone else, not so long ago, convincing everyone that deflectors are so damn good for speedway...

I remember a Velocette road bike in the 50s [i think] which had all the mechanical aspects shrouded in a light metal casing. It was the quietest bike of the era. Maybe the design is being resurrected for speedway. The answer to noise problems faced by proposed new stadia?

I remember an Aluminium coloured bike with water coolers acting as leg guards. They were very quiet and agree I think they were Velo's. :approve:

:blink::blink:

I remember an Aluminium coloured bike with water coolers acting as leg guards. They were very quiet and agree I think they were Velo's. :approve:

:blink::blink:

velocete "LE" or noddy bike as we used to call them 250 2stroke water cooled twin as used by plod

While noise is undoubtedly a major component of the attraction of speedway and the sport wouldn't be quite the same withouth it, there would be obvious benefits to having near-silent bikes, not least that it should be much easier to gain planning permission to open new tracks.

I agree with your point about being easier to open new tracks, but Speedway won't be the same without the noise of the bikes. :(

I agree with your point about being easier to open new tracks, but Speedway won't be the same without the noise of the bikes. :(

but as long as some guys still use Castrol R, the smell will remain!!

Here it is, the new super silent bike.

Loads of room for sponsors logos on those side panels.

Edited by pugwash

Here it is, the new super silent bike.

Loads of room for sponsors logos on those side panels.

Trouble is I am old enough to remember them on our streets ridden by people in funny hats

I believe that this was raised at the riders briefing - Lonigo GP and its appears that its unlikely to happen until 2010.

According to the minutes from the FIM congress, the new silencer is definately on it's way...

EDIT: But you can use the old ones until the end of -09. Same applies for the kill switch. If it was OK in -08 it's ok in -09.

Edited by f-s-p

The Ariel Leader had all its workings totally enclosed as well. Hated them!