British Speedway Forum

How was the 1977 Inter Continental Final the greatest meeting ever? Pretty sure I would have gone, but can't actually remember it.

Incidentally, if this cock up in track preparation should mean the end of the GP series, then should the cock up in track preparation at Wembley for the 1975 World Final have meant the end of the individual World Final?

How was the 1977 Inter Continental Final the greatest meeting ever? Pretty sure I would have gone, but can't actually remember it.

Incidentally, if this cock up in track preparation should mean the end of the GP series, then should the cock up in track preparation at Wembley for the 1975 World Final have meant the end of the individual World Final?

Or should the recent cock up at Birmingham spell the end of Premier League racing?

As per my signature, the weekend has seen both speedway and F1 find new lows. Gutted for everyone, not just those we know, that went.

Surely pressure must have been building on Olsen to go with all the sh!te tracks he oversees, and this has to be the final straw?

Why do you want to know this? You have no interest in the GP's, until something goes wrong. All you want to do is gloat and take the pi$$.

Rumbled ;) Doesn't really matter what I think though, thought my question would be an obvious one though and the answer of interest to all those who have wasted their money going to the event?

It's still hard to believe that IMG have let this happen, how embarrasing for such a company!!

Edited by Trees

Rumbled ;)

:lol:

Why do you want to know this? You have no interest in the GP's, until something goes wrong. All you want to do is gloat and take the pi$$.

There is a DIFFERENCE between "gloating" and trying to voice the views of those who wish to put our Sport on a more credible footing..........

With 2% of (Grand???) Prix lost because of the sheer incompetence of the organisers, SKY people looking REALLY embarassed even Chris Louis was trying hard to contain himself - how much further into the mire must our belovéd Sport be dragged by people who do NOT have the good of Speedway at heart - only MONEY!!

Oh - and Blazeaway - I am neither Extracting the urine nor Gloating - when things go wrong - people are bound to comment. You are right about one thing though - I have watched all the (Grand?) Prix on TV and am NOT impressed. The 'one off' World Final had something the (Grand?) Prix does NOT - STYLE AND CHARISMA!!

SPEEDWAY IS SUFFERING UNDER THESE FACELESS PEOPLE - SOMETHING MUST BE DONE !!

Edited by ianmartin

There is a DIFFERENCE between "gloating" and trying to voice the views of those who wish to put our Sport on a more credible footing..........

With 2% of (Grand???) Prix lost because of the sheer incompetence of the organisers, SKY people looking REALLY embarassed even Chris Louis was trying hard to contain himself - how much further into the mire must our belovéd Sport be dragged by people who do NOT have the good of Speedway at heart - only MONEY!!

Oh - and Blazeaway - I am neither Extracting the urine nor Gloating - when things go wrong - people are bound to comment. You are right about one thing though - I have watched all the (Grand?) Prix on TV and am NOT impressed. The 'one off' World Final had something the (Grand?) Prix does NOT - STYLE AND CHARISMA!!

I disagree completely. Have you ever been to a GP? Genuine question. If not get yourself over to Poland or Sweden next year it is an experience. FWIW I believe all GP's should be held on permanent tracks.

And to say you have never been impressed by a GP beggars belief. :rolleyes:

Edited by Blazeaway

Well there have been more than 100 GPs so the figure is less than 2%

On the other hand there were 49 world finals so without digging to deep, just the 1975 fiasco puts that figure higher than 2%.

Obviously the GP comes out on top again

Racers Team Manager Timmy Sugar and his loyal friends Bob Simmons and Eric Rein flew out to Germany on Friday looking forward to seeing the last GP of the series. They had their VIP tickets booked and were all set for a fantastic weekend. So when Racers Communications Manager Andy Povey broke the bad news that the GP was off to Tim and his pals in their hotel on Saturday morning, you can imagine that Tim was about as cheerful as when I saw him last Monday evening after the Racers' record home defeat.

Tim, Bob and Eric had to spend the whole of Saturday and Sunday morning killing time and were looking forward to getting home ASAP on Sunday afternoon. Fog descended on the Düsseldorf area of Germany during Sunday, so the boys found upon arrival at the airport that the inbound Ryanair flight was diverted and their outbound flight cancelled. They were then informed that Monday's flight was fully booked and that they would have to find alternative flights home.

Easyjet to the rescue, but they had to make their own way to a small airport near Dortmund some 100 miles away! They managed to sort transport out to Dortmund, but upon arrival found the airport shut and were forced to sit outside for 4 hours until it opened.

Still at least the Easyjet flight home took off on time at 7am and they landed safely at Luton airport earlier today.!

Trouble is that they flew out of Stanstead on Friday, so their car was parked there!!!!

I think Timmy has had better weekends! :lol:

What I want to know is why the track gurus (teehee) put the shale down in the first place if it was soaked, why not get some more shale in to mix with it?

They put down the wet shale down deliberately because they wanted to reschedule.

And to say you have never been impressed by a GP beggars belief.

I have been to a few GPs, and besides the one at the Millenium Stadium, they've not been massively impressive. The track is often rubbish, the extra entertainment third-rate, and very little promotion of the event in the locality. Better than the average speedway meeting I'll grant you, but then that isn't really that hard.

The great achievement of BSI has been sell a television product at relatively minimal cost to themselves, but they're no promotional geniuses, and only look good because the rest of speedway is so poor. It's a great business model for them, but the cost to the rest of speedway has been incalculable, and now as we've seen, even the SGP isn't so wonderful either.

The SGP is basically built on a pack of cards - one way contract that guarantees speedway nothing over a long period, yet gives IMG/BSI a get out clause when the SGP doesn't pay anymore. It also allows the competitors to be picked-up a below market rates, gives the organisers pick of dates, and to hell with anyone else who actually pays the real wages.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Sorry if this has been already said elsewhere, but just got back from Germany and in a rush to catch up with various things before the play off final tonight.

Have been to Germany and Czech Republic for the last two weeks. Last week the weather in Koblenz where we were was georgeous. All right, 100+ miles away, but every weather forcast on the TV was good for the whole of Germany.

Germany were playing Russia just down the road, and the word was that a big loss was in prospect as only 5,000 tickets to the speedway were sold. Another rumour was that the programmes were not even printed.

You put two and two together!

Alright then, there was nothing wrong with calling off an 'indoor' meeting despite the fact that hundreds (don't know if it ran to 1,000s did it...??) of fans from the UK had travelled to see it.

And the GPs are wonderful spectacles and will be the salvation of Speedway.

What matter that sometimes they fall victim to slight technical hitches. Never mind, they can always be staged the next weekj.

Oh and those rubbish riders Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs, Peter Collins...: they were not proper World Champs coz all they had to do was turn up beat some rubbish Eastern Europeans on one day. Nothing like the might that is Greg Hancock.

Oh, and that 1977 Inter Continental Final..?? Staged in front of me and my dog in a tin pot place..: a meaningless meeting..

This is the reality you'd prefer to accept then you're welcome to it... :rolleyes:

You cannot defend the indefensible Jeff or The Know!! What I want to know is why the track gurus (teehee) put the shale down in the first place if it was soaked, why not get some more shale in to mix with it?

Yep the buck stops at bsi, on the other hand we had a great weekend. More to life than speedway and no point in getting up tight about it. S--t happens.

track too wet...now to staged at Bydgoszcz next Saturday

I guess that instead of a knee jerk reaction, the sports governing body are taking a long and calm look at the situation, before making a reasoned response.Thursday's Speedway Star should be a good read.