British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
willstaxi

Gb & El The Best

I am fed up with constant moaning about the state of the EL and putting down of promoters. We live in a differant world to the 1970's, we have to put up with the way things are now. The EL this year has been the most open for years Poole won it and Eastbourne took the cup when everybody gave them no chance could this happen in Poland & Sweden I think not, the cheque book does not rule here.

Lets not worry about only having one rider in the GP next year its all happen before, all countries have their ups and downs GB, Poland & Sweden have all seen it. The GP's are fantastic but which is the jewel in the crown is - CARDIFF.

They said that England could never win the World Team Cup but after years of BB, Sprouts & RM (and with glory) representing GB

but the likes World Cup Willie, PC & Simmo proved them wrong for many years

In 2009 will only we will only have 4 - 5 GP riders in the EL but so what regardless what they say all need to ride the tracks in GB and not just the motorways in Europe.

The EL is the best in the world as was the old NL, PL & BL was and will always be, Nicki, TR, Hans, Eric, Jan O, JC,& TG have all rode EL or BL, it says it all.

There are many things wrong with British speedway but lets not always put it down we are the best where else can a rider ride the likes of Lakeside & Swindon in one week not Poland not Russia not Sweden only GB.

I do not condem riders who abandon GB for the the rich pickings of others countries they put their lives on the line for us all and like us all they have a living to make but they will be back .

A Poole fan for 50 years and totaly believe in British SPEEDWAY

And the Easter Bunny and Father Christmas and The Tooth Fairy no doubt. :rolleyes:

So because Poole happen to have won the championship this year, that makes everything all right? :rolleyes:

I do not condem riders who abandon GB for the the rich pickings of others countries they put their lives on the line for us all and like us all they have a living to make but they will be back .

I always like that one, usually it is accompanied with "for our entertainment".

It is of course complete crap, any risk a rider takes is done for his own personal gain, it is not for the public, his promoter, team manager etc, they do it because they want to make a tidy living and entertaining the public rates a big zero in any riders list of priorities

I disagree Jeff. Before Birmingham came back to the fold I would have said the same. Since we came back, I have to say, I believe the riders value the fans probably far more than the promoters.

...the cheque book does not rule here...

I humbly beg to differ. The only way a promoter can get so-called "stars" to ride in England is to pay them extortionate amounts of money. The amount of money that Peterborough owed Hans Andersen is testament to that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's cheque book speedway.

And, whether we like it or not, stars are what we need in the RL. 2007 - Belle Vue had no really big stars - no Crump etc. And look what happened to them. I'm told crowds were down, takings down etc. If Swindon were to lose Leigh Adams and just go with locally grown or British talent, or even some good middle order riders, we would lose takings and there would be a lot who would stop attending - the speedway supporter being a fickle beast.

If Swindon were to lose Leigh Adams and just go with locally grown or British talent, or even some good middle order riders, we would lose takings and there would be a lot who would stop attending

So why then, do some BPL tracks get as good or better crowds as BEL tracks? This notion that British speedway will fall apart if the overpaid stars leave, is just nonsense. As you pointed out, the presence of Crump made no different to the Belle Vue crowds.

Regular race nights, continuity and balanced sides is a far greater contributory factor in crowd sizes. In any case, whatever the reality, tracks can't keep paying out money they don't have, and the BEL teams just don't have the money these days. Swindon might be one of the few tracks doing okay these days thanks to the largesse of the Beoranged One, but one team does not a league make. Furthermore, how much longer will Leigh Adams be riding for your lot anyway - another season or so at best?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

It is of course complete crap, any risk a rider takes is done for his own personal gain, it is not for the public, his promoter, team manager etc, they do it because they want to make a tidy living and entertaining the public rates a big zero in any riders list of priorities

I agree, Jeff.

Would the superstars of speedway or any professional rider, take the risks they do if they were not paid what they consider they worth to their employers. Most of them are like the rest of us in that they want to provide the best for themselves and their families.

Basically they are guys doing a job they enjoy doing and which pays them well.

And the Easter Bunny and Father Christmas and The Tooth Fairy no doubt. :rolleyes:

:lol:

"I agree, Jeff.

Would the superstars of speedway or any professional rider, take the risks they do if they were not paid what they consider they worth to their employers. Most of them are like the rest of us in that they want to provide the best for themselves and their families.

Basically they are guys doing a job they enjoy doing and which pays them well."

?????????

I must say as an ex rider i take a bit of offence at some of these statements,there are many aspects to racing,when you sign a contract at the start of the year,you don't know completeley what you're in for.Yes it's a job but like any job there are good and bad days,and believe me sometimes when you're in a rut,blowing engines,damaging bikes etc why carry on the next week?You don't go to an everyday job and pay as you leave your desk do you?You have moral obligation too in the sport you know. This thing swings both ways you know. Maybe i wouldn't of done it if i wasn't getting paid for it as there are far too many risks as i am aware of every second of every day,but if us guys chose not too then there would be no product would there? Also it's your choice as a supporter to pay to go through the turnstile so if you don't like it then stay away.I personally would like to think you have some obligation to everyone previously mentioned above,and it i do feel that i appreciated the people who essentially paid my wages and entertaining the public certainly did NOT rate a big zero in my book,tell me something for as an instance at both Elite and Pemier level at Oxford how much was i "worth" and to who when i stayed over more than once after Friday's meeting,took my bikes to an event unloaded and helped set up a display and met the public for the day signing things etc?another slant would be how much would i be "worth" scoring a 15 point maximum away from home at a track in trecherous conditions earning less money than say another rider may take home for maybe 4 or 5 points? Or paying my own way and board to go to a fundraiser? I'm not trying to go on here trying to make myself look good i'm just giving sugesstions to try to get my point across.Worth has a number of meanings,to a rider,a fan,a team Manager but for what it's worth we have our Speedway which we should be thankful for and for what it's worth i wouldn't of changed a thing,stop griping about things,half of which you know not a great deal of and try to be positive,there are some riders who care about the public,and i am also thankfull to those who have helped me after my injury,like i say it works both ways doesn't it? :wink:

Edited by LOL

"I agree, Jeff.

Basically they are guys doing a job they enjoy doing and which pays them well."

?????????

I must say as an ex rider i take a bit of offence at some of these statements,there are many aspects to racing,when you sign a contract at the start of the year,you don't know completeley what you're in for.Yes it's a job but like any job there are good and bad days,and believe me sometimes when you're in a rut,blowing engines,damaging bikes etc why carry on the next week?You don't go to an everyday job and pay as you leave your desk do you?You have moral obligation too in the sport you know. This thing swings both ways you know. Maybe i wouldn't of done it if i wasn't getting paid for it as there are far too many risks as i am aware of every second of every day,but if us guys chose not too then there would be no product would there? Also it's your choice as a supporter to pay to go through the turnstile so if you don't like it then stay away.I personally would like to think you have some obligation to everyone previously mentioned above,and it i do feel that i appreciated the people who essentially paid my wages and entertaining the public certainly did NOT rate a big zero in my book,tell me something for as an instance at both Elite and Pemier level at Oxford how much was i "worth" and to who when i stayed over more than once after Friday's meeting,took my bikes to an event unloaded and helped set up a display and met the public for the day signing things etc?another slant would be how much would i be "worth" scoring a 15 point maximum away from home at a track in trecherous conditions earning less money than say another rider may take home for maybe 4 or 5 points? Or paying my own way and board to go to a fundraiser? I'm not trying to go on here trying to make myself look good i'm just giving sugesstions to try to get my point across.Worth has a number of meanings,to a rider,a fan,a team Manager but for what it's worth we have our Speedway which we should be thankful for and for what it's worth i wouldn't of changed a thing,stop griping about things,half of which you know not a great deal of and try to be positive,there are some riders who care about the public,and i am also thankfull to those who have helped me after my injury,like i say it works both ways doesn't it? :wink:

Well said, LOL and Good Luck to you.

I disagree Jeff. Before Birmingham came back to the fold I would have said the same. Since we came back, I have to say, I believe the riders value the fans probably far more than the promoters.

When a kid starts out riding he's risking his life, which fans is he doing that for?

Speedway riders ride for themselves, over time they may build an affinity with a club and it's fans, but the reason they get on the bike is to earn themselves a living doing something they love.