British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

A Track I Wish I Could Have Visited

Had a wee check for you, as Bryn doesnt seem to be around. The meeting against Weymouth was held on Saturday 20th May, the reason probably being Weymouths regular race night was also a Tuesday and the Kestrels happened to be the visitors on Tuesday 16th May.

Gee thanx..!

Well, I'm guessing now that my excuse for missing this (surely unique) Saturday Night at the, er, Moving Bikes.. was that my birthday is 19 May and I must've been out that next night in some celebration event..

And of course as it was 1978 we're talkin' about the particular birthday in question was my 18th..!! (yes, that's right Mr. Peasley!! :wink: ) so a first legal drink clearly beckoned..!

What a shame it wasn't in the well-stocked bars of the erstwhile 'Ladbrokes Stadium'..!! :oops:

Never really liked Odsal, Paulco, and I went a few times - including the 1985 World Final. You should see it now !!

New Cross, Romford & Trelawny spring to mind for me.

Well for me Odsal was Speedway heaven-in the late 40's early 50's. a decent banked track, it was FAST. The finest sight in speedway in those days (in my opinion of course) was Oliver Hart, the last of the oldtime legtrailers, in full cry around the banks. I don't know if the track was altered in anyway later on as I left in 1954. The Shay at Halifax was also a good track in those days. I went to Belle Vue once and that was also a great track. Re subject of thread--------- Wembley is the track I most regretted not seeing.As youngsters as we were then, Wembley had a mystique about it that we could only dream about. It might as well have been in another country as far as we were concerned. Cheers.

I cannot agree with your assessment of Alan Sage!! :shock:

Sagey was, on the contrary, not just a supreme stylist but also a very exciting rider, often fighting from the back to win races at London Rd., where in the early years he was supreme!!!!

As for it being on a Saturday night..: well, that indeed would've been highly unusual..!

I certainly never went to a Saturday night meeting at Crayford..: but then fair play I didn't see Weymouth there that year in 1978 so that would explain that..:oops:

I wonder if it was late season..: in which case that would explain why I missed it (away at Uni..!) and maybe also why it was on a Saturday..?? :blink:

Quite why/how the ever-present Dogs on a Saturday would've stepped aside to allow Speedway in their slot would be a question I'd ask though..??!!! :rolleyes:

Come on Bryn or the rather reticent 1st. Bend Kestrel...: do you remember this Saturday night!! And no, 1BK...: Saturday Night is NOT for fighting!!!! :wink:

yes weymouth beat crayford on the tuesday before with their three juniors in the side and it just shows even with your uni education you still learn something new everyday.

Speedway Researcher has a listing which has been supplied by Barry Stephenson of all matches & dates they were ridden on. I expect you will find the answer to your query on this list

For all those not fortunate enough to have experienced the delights of the Shay, here and here are a couple of trips down memory lane, 1982 vintage.

Taken from roughly where the changing rooms entry was ?

What a superb venue, and although I don't recall the Shay having a bad accident record those floodlights were mighty dangerous. Coupled with an unforgiving steel fence it was not a track for the faint hearted.

What a superb venue, and although I don't recall the Shay having a bad accident record those floodlights were mighty dangerous. Coupled with an unforgiving steel fence it was not a track for the faint hearted.

Actually i was gonna say no Jeff taken from the home straight near the starting tapes but looking again I think you're right!. A great night's speedway always to be had at the Shay. Not for the faint hearted at all. I once saw a junior go over the fence and he ended up losing a leg in the accident. But a great race venue.

For posterity's sake Shay#1 is the late Wayne Brown, Shay#2 is Reg Wilson.

Edited by WATigerman

Tracks I would of liked to of gone to would of been all the tracks in London because I am a big Wembley and New Cross supporter. The adventure of doing all the London tracks in a week would of been amazing. Even though I never saw speedway at Wembley, but the closest I have got to this is going to Cardiff. But I have seen achieve video and pictures from Wembley, New Cross, West Ham, Stamford Bridge (wasn't speedway I found midget car racing instead), Walthamstow, Lea Bridge, Crystal Palace, Harringay, Wimbledon and one other that I can't think of. But I saw Wimbledon when they re-opened but I would of liked to see the old shape.

I think the BSPA should look into getting a track back in the capital because it will get more people from the capital interested in watching speedway and bring in some new supporters.

Sadly I don't think the economics would support a London track now-I think eventually the greyhound stadiums will go to and probably be replaced by mosques!! Don't report me to the UK cops!!

Actually i was gonna say no Jeff taken from the home straight near the starting tapes but looking again I think you're right!. A great night's speedway always to be had at the Shay. Not for the faint hearted at all. I once saw a junior go over the fence and he ended up losing a leg in the accident. But a great race venue.

For posterity's sake Shay#1 is the late Wayne Brown, Shay#2 is Reg Wilson.

Yes, that's looking left toward the second/first bend.

....and another..............

Ah, the 4th bend, that was our vantage point whenever we went to the Shay.

I like you Tigerman, every time you put a photo link on, I feel 20 odd years younger :lol:

Slightly off topic, did anyone enjoy (in a different way of course) visiting tracks during the day for practice, test days, or any other reason? They seemed to have such a 'different feel' to them. Being empty the bikes had more of a powerful sound and though the atmosphere was totally different without the crowds, given the opportunity I looked forward to attending any tracks on these occasions given the opportunity. :)

Wembley obviously was the best one for me, especially on the Thursday practice session for the world final.

Sadly I don't think the economics would support a London track now-I think eventually the greyhound stadiums will go to and probably be replaced by mosques!! Don't report me to the UK cops!!

Only three dog tracks left within Greater London anyhow :cry: ...: the aforementioned Wimbledon, Romford and the re-built Crayford..!!! :neutral:

:rolleyes: Yes Jim.The Firs certainly seemed lot different at some Junior meetings compared to the nights when the Stars like Ove, Aub & Billy were riding. But then Barry East, the Sayer twins and Peter Atkins & co had their supporters also Edited by star ghost