British Speedway Forum
SHALEWAY69

Lady Speedway Riders

I, like everyone else here is having an opinion on the subject Norbold ...... sorry but don't understand your last line about a few men having been World Champion in those 40 years, obviously (as it was in the one offs) it was the best on the night that won, if and that really should be a big IF there is a woman out there that can race with the best and become World Champion then maybe she would care to step forward but, you and I both know that really is NEVER going to happen. Well not in my lifetime anyway :lol:

i dont think in any sport i have done i have gone to do with the intention of thinking , i have to be world champ or i cannot do this sport?? i think im going to do this sport because i enjoy it , and it keeps me fit .i have raced with some of the best in my time , yer they got to the top . well done to them .. i sat on the terraces for years cheering the lads on , next step for me was to join them . :rolleyes: and im damn glad i did .. GO GIRLS ..

That lady is Wendy Skinner. Other female riders that spring to mind are Amy Carpenter, who rode in the British Under-15 Championship before retiring, plus Su Marshall and Sarah Cook who I ride in South Track Riders' meetings. Montana Jowett is probably the best female rider at the moment, having defeated Jessica Lamb when Jess made a brief reappearance on shale at Scunny this summer. She is also a regular second halfer and notably led Ben Hopwood for a lap in one race. There is also a young girl called Rachel who is riding very well on our mini-track.

Jessica also made an appearance for the Scorpions didn't she.. Must've been 2005 and it was a Plough Lane, of all (famous...) places. Jessica had taken to riding second halves at Wimbledon at the time...: she's a good pal of Andre's I believe...

Of course a more regular female second halfer at Plough Lane in the CL days was John Carpenter's daughter, Amy who also competed in the GB Under 15s championship... :approve:

Talking of Wimbledon, there was a match up at Stoke (2004 or maybe '03..?) when a female rider was named as the Dons' number eight. Didn't get a ride but entered history as the only female named in a Wimbledon 1 to 8!! She must've been local to Stoke - anyone recall her name..???

Finally, need to mention Charley Kirtland. Was Charley not in fact the FIRST rider to appear for a League team (at Somerset for Ashfield in circa. 2000)..?? :unsure:

Talking of Wimbledon, there was a match up at Stoke (2004 or maybe '03..?) when a female rider was named as the Dons' number eight. Didn't get a ride but entered history as the only female named in a Wimbledon 1 to 8!! She must've been local to Stoke - anyone recall her name..???

It was in 2004 and her name is Hayley Whitworth. She was born in Crewe and still lives there.

Finally, need to mention Charley Kirtland. Was Charley not in fact the FIRST rider to appear for a League team (at Somerset for Ashfield in circa. 2000)..?? :unsure:

Angela McAlden rode in the Amateur League for Lathallan in 1997.

It was in 2004 and her name is Hayley Whitworth. She was born in Crewe and still lives there.

Angela McAlden rode in the Amateur League for Lathallan in 1997.

Many thanx for the info. Peter!! :approve:

I also rode in the under 15s in 2007. was the first ever girl rider to win a race at weymouth.,also rode in poland summer of this year.

• Like 1

I also rode in the under 15s in 2007. was the first ever girl rider to win a race at weymouth.,also rode in poland summer of this year.

As the originator of this thread I want to thank every one of the 49 replys for their positive input. From the input we have established these facts.

1 Over 35 girls have ridden with a success rate that most guys would be proud of.

2 They have ridden at Telford, Conference league and many secondhalves.

3 Sabrina Borgh was European Junior Finalist in 2001

4 There have been some famous names represented Fundin, Cross, Bastable, Collins, Cunningham, Bogh and Mattingley.

Good on you, you have made a bigger presence in speedway then I realised.

Tony

There have been several female speedway riders over the years, but did any make a team place or race in a four rider event ?

I recall a Miss Terry at Hackney around 1980 and of course there were earlier riders such as fay Taylour, Eva Esquith and later Rosita Mattingley.

tony

Rosita Mattingley, wife of Glasgow rider Maurie raced against Mary Mansfield of Hackney Wick at Hackney on 24/07/64 at the time it was the 1st ladies race for over 30 years according to the programme.

Does anyone remember seeing this?

I have a Miscellaneous page on my www.defunctspeedway.co.uk website. Visit My Website On that page is 7 photos of female riders. I would be interested to here from anyone with other photos of Lady Riders

Edited by dantodan

<!--quoteo(post=1379715:date=Nov 30 2008, 12:47 PM:name=SHALEWAY69)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SHALEWAY69 @ Nov 30 2008, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1379715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I recall a Miss Terry at Hackney around 1980<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I have to say I do not recall a Miss Terry at Hackney. There was a Mark Terry in 1984, and we had a couple of lady speedway riders in the late eighties and early nineties doing second halves at Hackney and riding for the Earlybird Hawks. We had Maxine Hill and probably the greatest female speedway rider everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in the world and that was Katie Mason, wooooo hoooooo !

yes i totally agree , that katie mason was defiantly the best female speedway rider eevvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yes i totally agree , that katie mason was defiantly the best female speedway rider eevvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Errr!!! Fay Taylour.....? See the thread already running in this section!

Edited by speedyguy

<!--quoteo(post=1381083:date=Dec 2 2008, 06:48 AM:name=SHALEWAY69)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SHALEWAY69 @ Dec 2 2008, 06:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1381083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You could say there has never been an Aboriginal......speedway rider<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You certainly could say that but I'd suggest you may be wrong if you did. I gather one of the riders at a recent meeting at Pinjar Park was of indigenous descent.

Quite right - Samsurry Pigram from Broome (northern Western Australia) has been riding here for quite a few years now. Broke his leg about a year ago so out of action at present. A really nice guy and proud of his ancestry.

QUOTE (Montana-May Jowett @ Dec 8 2008, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As the originator of this thread I want to thank every one of the 49 replys for their positive input. From the input we have established these facts.

1 Over 35 girls have ridden with a success rate that most guys would be proud of.

2 They have ridden at Telford, Conference league and many secondhalves.

3 Sabrina Borgh was European Junior Finalist in 2001

4 There have been some famous names represented Fundin, Cross, Bastable, Collins, Cunningham, Bogh and Mattingley.

Good on you, you have made a bigger presence in speedway then I realised.

Tony

Look out for some more additions to this list coming to GB tracks in the next two months!!!

Err.. She was imprisoned for being a Nazi...

I never knew that......................... :shock: :shock: :shock: