British Speedway Forum
SteveEvans

Billy Hamill Farewell - Wolverhampton 22 March

There were not many old boys as the modern day sport was only about 7 years old in the 70's when Bast and Penhall rode. You are right regarding the perception of the sport in Europe about old riders still winning, which is why we started the Dream Team. That said, Tim Gomez, Neil Facchini, Russell Green and Jimmy Fishback all were maiden main event winners and Buck Blair, Ricky Wells and Shaun Harmatiuk also won main's this year meaning that the pendulum is swinging.

Granted there weren't many 'old boys' in the '70s, but I was referring to the days when America had a team on the world's stage, from 78 when the likes Cook, Morans, Sigalos, etc all began making big waves over here. Didn't the likes Ermolenko and Lance King stay home in the mid-80s? Ask Billy about that period, he was a kid growing up as a junior then and you had five weekly tracks at one stage - Costa Mesa, San Bernardino, Carlsbad, Ascot South Bay, Ventura and Carlsbad. That was ultra-competitive for a time. And you had a thriving junior programme too, Hancock, Hamill, Josh Larsen came out of that, but what happened to Jesse Finch?

Anyway, let's beg to differ on this, I have seen Harmatiuk and Blair and I dont think either of them would bother the Bullet right now even though he hasn't raced since early last season. Can't comment on the others because I haven't seen them race.

Granted there weren't many 'old boys' in the '70s, but I was referring to the days when America had a team on the world's stage, from 78 when the likes Cook, Morans, Sigalos, etc all began making big waves over here. Didn't the likes Ermolenko and Lance King stay home in the mid-80s? Ask Billy about that period, he was a kid growing up as a junior then and you had five weekly tracks at one stage - Costa Mesa, San Bernardino, Carlsbad, Ascot South Bay, Ventura and Carlsbad. That was ultra-competitive for a time. And you had a thriving junior programme too, Hancock, Hamill, Josh Larsen came out of that, but what happened to Jesse Finch?

Anyway, let's beg to differ on this, I have seen Harmatiuk and Blair and I dont think either of them would bother the Bullet right now even though he hasn't raced since early last season. Can't comment on the others because I haven't seen them race.

Oh trust me, I know there is no comparison between the 80s and now. The US riders in the EL and our World Team Cup results show there is much work to do. That said, thanks more to a handful of dedicated individuals rather than the AMA, our sport is in better shape here for the future as something is being done about it. When Costa Mesa threatened to close in 2000 it could have been the death sentence. In the 1980s riders stayed home as they could make a lot of money in the US. Now they are racing for CL monies, all part of the decline of the sport in the 1990s that we are working hard to turn around. Jesse Finch retired after '97 with injuries. He made a brief return in 2006 and is in attendence at Costa Mesa most weeks.

Wolves Cradley is never far away from our conversations but the main problem is this is the fact that 12 years on there are not enough Cradley riders left to make a team. But don't discount something that will get all the Black Country fans very excited...

Depends what format you wanted. Billy, Greg, Pete Nahlin, Phil Collins, Bobby all still riding. Tempt Simon Cross and Big Al back into a pair of leathers for a spin and you've got seven. And for Wolves - Freddie, Sam, Ronnie, Wayne Carter, Graham Jones, Charles Ermolenko, Tony Atkin. There you go. Okay, maybe not. :unsure::lol:

Depends what format you wanted. Billy, Greg, Pete Nahlin, Phil Collins, Bobby all still riding. Tempt Simon Cross and Big Al back into a pair of leathers for a spin and you've got seven. And for Wolves - Freddie, Sam, Ronnie, Wayne Carter, Graham Jones, Charles Ermolenko, Tony Atkin. There you go. Okay, maybe not. :unsure::lol:

Watch this space Mr 21st, I don't think you'll be displeased if some of the ideas bounced around come to fruition.

Hey, as long as Billy gets his butt back on a bike and Greg gets his butt over here for the day I'll be one very happy speedway fan. :approve:

Butt = The extent of translation into American for that sentence. :lol:

Hey, as long as Billy gets his butt back on a bike and Greg gets his butt over here for the day I'll be one very happy speedway fan. :approve:

Butt = The extent of translation into American for that sentence. :lol:

You forgot to add seeing Sam get his butt back on a bike, and then deposit it on the track in a traditional Ermolenko slide-off! Always something enjoyed by the Cradley contingent!

It certainly was mate. I'd be concerned that the old boy might not be able to get back up again now though. Must be due a hip replacement soon. :lol:

Should be a good meeting planned

Greg Hancock confirmed for the meeting. (official Wolves site).

Glad to see Greg is coming to Billy's meeting.

I'm really looking forward to it and I will definately be in attendance! Not sure how I'm getting there yet but I'll be there!

Scott Nicholls also confirmed, so a good chance to see a rider who won't feature in the EL this year. Really looking forward to this meeting.

i was just looking at a few magazines i saw that shaun moran is only 47,what age did he retire? would be nice to see the morans one more time.i know this is off topic but sam ermolenko had a son and he must be mid 20s now,did he not try speedway?

i was just looking at a few magazines i saw that shaun moran is only 47,what age did he retire? would be nice to see the morans one more time.i know this is off topic but sam ermolenko had a son and he must be mid 20s now,did he not try speedway?

Adam lives here in the USA. He is a very good Supermoto rider. Not sure if he has tried out Speedway.

Adam lives here in the USA. He is a very good Supermoto rider. Not sure if he has tried out Speedway.

Thanks for info