British Speedway Forum
SteveEvans

Billy Hamill Farewell - Wolverhampton 22 March

Posted by Billy Hamill on the US Speedwaybikes forum;

Hey; I just wanted to let everybody know I have been granted a Farewell Meeting in England! The date will be March 22 at Wolverhampton Speedway. I feel very lucky to have been granted this race at Wolverhampton as Coventry still own me. A big thank you must go to Chris Van Straatten and Colin Pratt for helping me make this happen! Steve Evans has already offered his help which will be very valuable as he grew up on the Wolves terraces, so thanks Steve! Hope to see you all there! #104

More details will be posted as myself or others involved in the organisation of this event have them. Most likely the main feature will be a 20 heat individual with some GP riders hopefully on show. The support event will be featuring retired riders and will be very special for the local Black Country fans.

Hey; I just wanted to let everybody know I have been granted a Farewell Meeting in England! The date will be March 22 at Wolverhampton Speedway. I feel very lucky to have been granted this race at Wolverhampton as Coventry still own me. A big thank you must go to Chris Van Straatten and Colin Pratt for helping me make this happen! Steve Evans has already offered his help which will be very valuable as he grew up on the Wolves terraces, so thanks Steve! Hope to see you all there! #104

More details will be posted as myself or others involved in the organisation of this event have them. Most likely the main feature will be a 20 heat individual with some GP riders hopefully on show. The support event will be featuring retired riders and will be very special for the local Black Country fans.

about time bullet, glad we aint seen the last of yer.hope you get the best that you deserve.

about time bullet, glad we aint seen the last of yer.hope you get the best that you deserve.

Agreed :approve:

Hopefully I'll be able to make it up to Monmore for this meeting. Billy became one of my favourite non-Racers from the numerous times he guested for us in 1990 which helped us go on and win the league & KO Cup.

Brilliant. One of the best ambassadors ever in the sport. Hope they have a huge turnout. :wink:

any chance billy being in the 2009 wolves team!!?

Nope, he is retired from Europe.

Great to hear this news. Shame it couldn't have been held at Coventry though. I'm sure there will be a big crowd for Billy and there is so much more room at Brandon, whereas at Wolves everyone has to be squashed into the home straight area. :neutral:

Wolves v Cradley seems a good shout for this meeting. Fingers crossed anyway.

great news he deserves it

Excellent :)

Wolves v Cradley.. Not many ex-Cradley riders still going. Hancock, Hamill, Fry & Scott 'Scud' Smith the only ones I can think of. Barker retired and although he never rode for us Krister Marsh was a Cradley junior for a time, he's also now retired.

Excellent :)

Wolves v Cradley.. Not many ex-Cradley riders still going. Hancock, Hamill, Fry & Scott 'Scud' Smith the only ones I can think of. Barker retired and although he never rode for us Krister Marsh was a Cradley junior for a time, he's also now retired.

I know he is about 10,000 miles away Col, but David Cheshire is still riding over in Oz :wink:

When you think what has happened to quality americans?, billy and greg hancock i rember them coming to sheffield in the 1 league era mid 90s and they was unbeaten in 2 years! :P

I also remember Mick Powell beating both of them in one heat at Shawfield in 1995, what a race that was it takes a lot to get me going at the speedway, but good old Micky P had me cheering loudly that night :D

Have to say both men took the defeat in the good grace you would have expected from them :approve:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

I know a lot of people have fond memories of Billy when he rode for Cradley but for me the best ever was when he rode with Greg at Coventry under the Exide sponsorship. Great to see them doing a double wheelie after yet another 5-1 for the Bees.