British Speedway Forum
SteveEvans

Billy Hamill Farewell - Wolverhampton 22 March

We're still 5,000 miles away but we are defintitely ready. We will be there just in time for the party on Thursday. Steve Evans may or may not be there. It all depends whether he can survive 11 hours in the air with 6 Californians. Should be interesting.

Californispoons Steve!

Does anyone know any details about the after meeting auction?, im a massive Billy fan and am devastated I cant make it on sunday :( have been since I was a kid and went to the 1995 British Grand Prix and really would like a piece of his special day

Thanks to everybody that came to the Billy Hamill Farewell Party last night. It was a great success and Billy was very impressed with the turn out of Cradley fans. It was also good to meet all of you Amercians! I'll hopefully get some pictures online soon.

Regarding the after meeting auction, i believe all the race jackets from the meeting will be available to buy except Billy's Cradley race jacket. I'm going to have to bring my cheque book with me on Sunday then :P

Taken from the Cradley website;

20/03/09

Billy says farewell to the Heathens Supporters in style

Billy Hamill said farewell to the Heathens Supporters at a wonderful party at Cradley Heath Liberal Club last night 19th March, he was quite emotional when he saw the room packed with around 200 fans who had all come to party with him before he hangs up his Kevlar's and returns to the USA.

Billy arrived in style in a stretched limousine driven by former team mate Mark Robinson and was followed by a number of his friends who had arrived earlier in the day from California. Well presented by Andy McCarter's disco and a backdrop of Andy Hale's fantastic collection of race jackets and Bruce Penhall's bike.

Full credit for such a fantastic night must go to the new Heathens Speedway Supporters Club for all the hard work they had done to make this such a special party for Billy, so thanks to Simon, Paul, Andy and Will for such a memorable evening.

Billy called Sam Ermolenko up to the stage to join him and told some great stories about the rivalry between Cradley and Wolves, both are looking forward to clashing on-track this Sunday March 22nd for his Farewell Meeting. He also introduced the young lads starting their careers on British tracks just as he did back in 1990, Ricky Wells and Chris Kerr both had a chance to talk to the fans on mic. At the other end of the scale Colin Pratt told of when he bought Billy over as an 18 year old with his buddy Greg Hancock.

Lots of goodies for sale from Dave Rattenbury and the HSSC, pork sarnies again, and great so meet up with some of the Heathens fans who came out specially to say farewell to a truly great Heathen, BILLY HAMILL.

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

Video from Billy's Farewell Party: Billy & Sam Ermolenko discuss the Cradley-Wolves rivalry.

Without doubt the best reception Sam has ever had in Cradley :unsure: ,

Roll On Sunday!!

Still looking for a texter...anyone?

This is building up nicely. So nice to see a lot of Cradley fans at the disco on thursday and lots of Bees fans on the friday who are coming. Alan Grahame spun some laps at Brandon last night. Cannot wait till tomorrow!

Guest Babe619
Does anybody know what time the gates are open for todays meeeting.

Think it's 2.30pm :)

He may have been a Cradley Heath rider for most of his career, but Billy was always a joy to watch and only wished he had the wisdom to have joined Wolves when he was much much younger.

Sadly I can't make this meeting but hope he has a great day and everyone enjoys the racing, especially another chance to see Sam and Ronnie flying around once more.

Hopefully I will get to see S+R doing the same when Skornicki has his testimonial at Monmore, possibly next year or if PK has a farewell when he retires from England.