British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Ross Gilbertson

The Roy Moreton post here directed me to "General Speedway Discussion" which I never go to normally-and there I see a thread on Ross-re a campaign to send him Xmas cards in his care home. Thought I should bring him up here also.I have many happy memories of Ross as a rider for Poole in 1964 /65. He was a real crowd puller-I think he got to the Grand Final race of the PL Riders Final-perhaps 1963?Ross more than held his own when the PL/Nl merger occurred and he was a great guy as well.I've sent him an xmas card so perhaps bringing him to this thread some others may do too.

More Ross stuff- I checked back in my programs-I reckon Ross was in the BL for Poole in 65-a heat leader-but then I lose track -did he retire??BTW in 63 he was in the Grand Final race of PLRC with Mauger(winner), Jack Kitchen and George Hunter- was anybody in forumland at that meeting at BV.

More Ross stuff- I checked back in my programs-I reckon Ross was in the BL for Poole in 65-a heat leader-but then I lose track -did he retire??BTW in 63 he was in the Grand Final race of PLRC with Mauger(winner), Jack Kitchen and George Hunter- was anybody in forumland at that meeting at BV.

I was, Bobbath, and it was my first visit to Belle Vue.

It was an astonishing meeting. A new meeting format had been devised by the Speedway Star columnist, Eric Linden, and it all went badly wrong. If I remember the issue was something along the lines of five riders finishing on equal points, and nobody seemed to know how the final should be organised. Doug Templeton led a sit-down strike by the riders at the starting gate.

The final was won by Mauger after an astonishing stroke of luck. George Hunter, who had been plagued by engine troubles in his first two races (but still managed to qualify after some tremendous overtaking moves from miles behind) led Mauger until his engined failed.

It was perhaps George's finest ever performance, and a night of high drama.

Ta Ian-According to the Star -it said Jack Kitchen was the best rider of the night having won all his qualifying races including beating Mauger-said Ivor Brown got the biggest boos of the night-5 riders finished on 9 pts Gilbertson, Hunter,Cresp, Mattingley and Featherby-so there was a five man run off to determine the final two.Wish I could have been there it would have been a blast!!Bet it was packed out too-I sed to love the PL Finals.

Ta Ian-According to the Star -it said Jack Kitchen was the best rider of the night having won all his qualifying races including beating Mauger-said Ivor Brown got the biggest boos of the night-5 riders finished on 9 pts Gilbertson, Hunter,Cresp, Mattingley and Featherby-so there was a five man run off to determine the final two.Wish I could have been there it would have been a blast!!Bet it was packed out too-I sed to love the PL Finals.

It most certainly was a very large crowd, Bob. And it seemed all the larger because of the nature of the Belle Vue stadium. My recollection is that there were so many stands around the track that the atmosphere and noise was kept inside, which added to the sense of occasion.

I don't remember Ivor Brown getting the biggest boos of the night, but I wouldn't be surprised. Another rider on display with a "hard man" reputation was Clive Featherby from Sheffield.

Incidentally, that meeting was an early indication of Mauger's potential. Bear in mind that this was his first season in Britain (discounting his failed attempt to make it a few years earlier with Wimbledon). Ivan Mauger and George Hunter went on two years later to become two of the biggest ex-Provincial League stars to make it big in the new British League.

One further point. This meeting was staged just about two weeks (I think) after George's involvement in the crash that claimed the life of Peter Craven, and arguably affected him for the rest of his career. To have done so well in this meeting speaks volumes about George's talent.

Ian -I agree with you re George Hunter -one of my favorite riders-always put on a good show-when BL started while I thought some of the PL riders did great-I was disappointed that none of them made the 65 World Final-Charlie Monk came close as I am sure you recall-but they certainly held their own in League matches-what a great year that was.

Ian -I agree with you re George Hunter -one of my favorite riders-always put on a good show-when BL started while I thought some of the PL riders did great-I was disappointed that none of them made the 65 World Final-Charlie Monk came close as I am sure you recall-but they certainly held their own in League matches-what a great year that was.

It was not only a great year from the entertainment point of view Bob, but also because it was the genesis of a reorganisation that would see British speedway safely through the next thirty years or so.

The top tier from 1964, the National League, was dead on its feet. By combining with the growing Provincial League to form the new British League speedway suddenly looked in a much healthier state. I have to wonder just how long it will be before we see history repeat itself. I suspect that's inevitable.

You are quite right - George Hunter was a superb rider and was unfortunate that the death of Peter Craven was put down to an error of his. It was a racing accident from what I could gather at the time

You are quite right - George Hunter was a superb rider and was unfortunate that the death of Peter Craven was put down to an error of his. It was a racing accident from what I could gather at the time

It wasn't even a racing accident, star ghost. It was an engine failure.

Ross was riding for the Crusaders in the very first Speedway meeting I attended: at Canterbury in 1972. And made his Eagles debut in the first meeting I attended at Arlington a year later.

TBH, I knew he was a big name then in Div Two terms but I didn't realise until much later what a huge star of the Provincial League he'd been; and sadly, I (just) missed out of Romford (sad especially as I drive past the site of Brooklands virtually every day now... :cry: ) - Ross was a legend in Romford too..

I'll try and get the local Recorder to do a piece on him so a few facts & figs on Ross would be appreciated..

Posted the above in the General section on the thread paying condolences after Ross's untimely death last week.

Was asking for some biog. info. to help me write a piece for the Romford Recorder...

No-one's responded so re-posting here hoping to catch the eye of the Forum's History Men...!!

I do have this from the Dorset press...:

FORMER Pirates star Ross Gilbertson died earlier today aged 76.

A Scotsman born in Ayton near Eyemouth, he had been unwell while living in a Dorset nursing home for some time.

Gilbertson, a top line rider for Poole in their Provincial League days, lined up in a skull and crossbones race jacket from 1960 to 1965.

He then returned to make one league appearance during the Dorset club's British League title-winning season of 1969.

Gilbertson will be remembered fondly by older Pirates fans for playing pivotol roles in their 1961 and 1962 Provincial League title-winning campaigns.

A Poole heat leader for most of the period from 1960 to 1965, he was also a former Wimborne Road track record holder.

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this. R.I.P. Ross.