British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Fred Pawson

Just heard the sad news that Fred Pawson has died in New Zealand.

Fred Pawson started his speedway career as a mechanic at Eastbourne in 1947. After practising at Rye House he was signed by Harringay in 1948. He moved to Norwich in 1951, coming straight in with a near 6-point average. On promotion to the First Division his average dropped to around 3 or 4 per match, but he remained in the reserve position until 1954.

Just heard the sad news that Fred Pawson has died in New Zealand.

Fred Pawson started his speedway career as a mechanic at Eastbourne in 1947. After practising at Rye House he was signed by Harringay in 1948. He moved to Norwich in 1951, coming straight in with a near 6-point average. On promotion to the First Division his average dropped to around 3 or 4 per match, but he remained in the reserve position until 1954.

Was Fred related to Ernie Pawson, the 1939 Crystal Palace rider and a starter for Eastbourne in 1947?

Dont forget his Poole career!

In 1948 he scored 226 pts from 43 meetings.

In 1949 he scored 425 pts from 52 meetings.He was also an ever present that year.(League and Trophy)

Thank you for the wonderful legacy you have left us,Fred.You are a true Poole Legend.

R.I.P

I have just been informed. Fred Pawson was the brother of Ernie Pawson, and also the father of Patrick Pawson.

Thanks for the info, Bob. Yes, I shouldn't have left out his time at Poole.