British Speedway Forum
Jim Blanchard

Do You Remember The Songs Being Played?

When we went to Ipswich a few years ago we were very taken with one of the songs they played. (Well we are getting on a bit and it appealed to us!)

Took me ages to find out what it was and the answer in the end came from Superbart at Coventry who very kindly let me have a copy. It was by The Klaxons and called the Clap Clap Song (or Sound.) He regularly used to play it at Brandon afterwards and always got a good response with the air horns in time to the music. :lol: Now Superbart is back this season hopefully we'll be able to hear it again.

At The Shay Booker T and the MG's were played regularly and a song called The Hussle stick in the mind.

But they played some other great motown/soul discs too, which I understand were favourites of the 'voice of Halifax Speedway,' announcer Doug Adams. Can anyone give us a run-down of the records played at Halifax during the 70s/early 80s?

Guest Steve Dixon
Chirpy, Chirpy Cheep Cheep (Middle of the Road)

Son of My Father (Chickory Tip)

Craklin' Rose (Neil Diamond)

Rose Garden (Lynn Anderson)

Tie A Yellow Ribbon (Tony Orlando & Dawn)

All played at Hyde Road too, remind me of the place everytime I hear them, also that annoying Popcorn tune, reminds me of the Langfield/Briggo crash in 72(think it was) BLRC

At The Shay Booker T and the MG's were played regularly and a song called The Hussle stick in the mind.

But they played some other great motown/soul discs too, which I understand were favourites of the 'voice of Halifax Speedway,' announcer Doug Adams. Can anyone give us a run-down of the records played at Halifax during the 70s/early 80s?

This one I suspect.

All played at Hyde Road too, remind me of the place everytime I hear them, also that annoying Popcorn tune, reminds me of the Langfield/Briggo crash in 72(think it was) BLRC

I always rather liked it...........

Hot Butter

BTW Van McCoy who recorded "The Hustle" passed away a few years ago-another song played at Somerton Park, Newport frequently in 64-was "Walk on By"-Dionne Warwick.

BTW Van McCoy who recorded "The Hustle" passed away a few years ago-another song played at Somerton Park, Newport frequently in 64-was "Walk on By"-Dionne Warwick.

It will the 30th anniversary of his death this coming July.

Scary to think he's been dead that long.

I have vivid memories of going to the Belle Vue funfair with my dad, then queueing up to the Hyde Road track for the evening match in 1976 with Dancing Queen by Abba playing. Sometime before that, I remember In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry playing at BV. And Fanfare for the Common Man by ELP and Tokyo Melody, obviously.

All of the above songs I always associate with great days at the best ever speedway track! :D

Edited by AndyM

I'm sure the old Formula 1 tune got played a lot at Berrington when riders were coming to the tapes, Fleetwood Mac - The Chain i think its called!

Milton Keynes (Groveway stadium) 1978.

Pre-parade : Moody Blues - Knights in white satin.

Parade : Entry of the Gladiators.

Between heats (amongst others) : Jilted John - Jilted John, 10CC - Dreadlock holiday, Frankie Valli - Grease, Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights.

Edited by Concrete Cowboy

At Milton Keynes: Nights in white satin by the Moody blues, as well as Forever Autumn, anything by Rod Stewart. :rolleyes: oh, and Sultans of swing.

Edited by panthersfan

Milton Keynes (Groveway stadium) 1978.

Pre-parade : Moody Blues - Knights in white satin.

Parade : Entry of the Gladiators.

Between heats (amongst others) : Jilted John - Jilted John, 10CC - Dreadlock holiday, Frankie Valli - Grease, Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights.

Sorry, mate, the guys walked down the ramp to the theme from Star Wars

I always remember close to you by the Carpenters being played at Canterbury

My abiding memories as a kid at Canterbury were leaning right over the fence on the third bend and taking a face full of shale. I guess it was our way of saying to Dave Piddock, Les Rumsey and your uncle Ted that we were "Close To You"...!!! :wink::lol: