British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oldtimewolf

The Grand Prix Series Does Not Pay, It Seems!

According the 'Daily Mail' columnist 'Skezza', riders in the Grand Prix Series do not earn as much as we thought they did for competing or even winning.

Nicki Pedersen, even though he won the World Championship in 2008, is said to have only collected £45,990.

For the full run-down take a look at website:- http://skezza.dailymail.co.uk/

So do riders enter the GP's for the money or do they really believe they are good enough to win the World title?

That's only the prize money. Sponsorship money is not included.

According the 'Daily Mail' columnist 'Skezza', riders in the Grand Prix Series do not earn as much as we thought they did for competing or even winning.

Nicki Pedersen, even though he won the World Championship in 2008, is said to have only collected £45,990.

For the full run-down take a look at website:- http://skezza.dailymail.co.uk/

So do riders enter the GP's for the money or do they really believe they are good enough to win the World title?

But it doesn't state what sponsorship deals etc they get from the tv coverage.

I think this Skezza guy talks aload of crap. Have you seen how much he drools over Lee, Scott and Chris. Jesus mate get a grip they are not as good as you make out. Nicolls buckles under pressure time and time again. Richardson is a terrible rider in the grand scheme of it all. Bomber is about the only one of the 3 that is good to watch and can hold his own, he just needs better machine and abit more experiance to compete with the big boys.

As for the prize money he has failed to mention if this is profit after all expenses. He doesnt mention if this prize money is taxed. He doesnt mention if it has been converted from one currency to another. Infact he doesnt tell us anything at all.

I think this Skezza guy talks aload of crap. Have you seen how much he drools over Lee, Scott and Chris. Jesus mate get a grip they are not as good as you make out. Nicolls buckles under pressure time and time again. Richardson is a terrible rider in the grand scheme of it all. Bomber is about the only one of the 3 that is good to watch and can hold his own, he just needs better machine and abit more experiance to compete with the big boys.

As for the prize money he has failed to mention if this is profit after all expenses. He doesnt mention if this prize money is taxed. He doesnt mention if it has been converted from one currency to another. Infact he doesnt tell us anything at all.

what ever it is its not a lot is it. i mean the darts players are earning more than that.

what ever it is its not a lot is it. i mean the darts players are earning more than that.

Which means sponsors obviously believe it's more beneficial to them to sponsor darts than speedway.

All IMG need to do is work out why :shock::wink: , act on it and everything in the speedway garden will be lovely :rolleyes::P

That must have taken him all of five minutes to work out. :rolleyes:

I suspect most riders lose money on the SGP, even with sponsorship taken into consideration. Presumably they do it for the glory, or as a loss-leader to give their sponsors more exposure, but they're a long way from being able to make a living out of it.

Which means sponsors obviously believe it's more beneficial to them to sponsor darts than speedway.

The SGP has been losing sponsors in the last couple of years (even before the 'credit crunch'), and seems to have hardly any major sponsors left. As to the reason why - perhaps it's down to complacency on the part of BSI, or maybe speedway simply isn't marketable enough.

There's one (former?) title sponsor on here, so perhaps he 'knows' the reason. :wink:

There's one (former?) title sponsor on here, so perhaps he 'knows' the reason.

He wants to be the new team GB manager? ;)

Edited by Jim Blanchard

I'm sure they do it to raise their profile and they can then obtain

1. More sponsorship.

2. Larger contracts from the clubs they represent.

Didn't Nicki P recently sign a £660 000 2 year contract with his Polish club? That's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Nicholls in on record as saying the gp's cost him money.

As is Chris Harris.

But any rider with ambition will be there.

They strive to be World Champion. Ask all 15 year old riders what their ambition is and they would say - to be World Champion.

And Star Lady - can I have some of whatever it is you are on please?! :lol::lol:

They strive to be World Champion. Ask all 15 year old riders what their ambition is and they would say - to be World Champion.

I wish I could think of a business model where the employees are prepared to lose money to come and work for me... :blink:

That must have taken him all of five minutes to work out. :rolleyes:

I suspect most riders lose money on the SGP, even with sponsorship taken into consideration. Presumably they do it for the glory, or as a loss-leader to give their sponsors more exposure, but they're a long way from being able to make a living out of it.

The SGP has been losing sponsors in the last couple of years (even before the 'credit crunch'), and seems to have hardly any major sponsors left. As to the reason why - perhaps it's down to complacency on the part of BSI, or maybe speedway simply isn't marketable enough.

There's one (former?) title sponsor on here, so perhaps he 'knows' the reason. :wink:

Former ? ya could be right :lol: Speedway will not bring you a return. You have to do it for other reason. Its not just clubs or sgp its riders as well. B)

He wants to be the new team GB manager? ;)

Still waiting for the call :lol: Missed out now as to busy with my motocross commitments. :cry: