British Speedway Forum
slickmick

Crayford Stadium, Where Was It?

Can anyone settle an argument between the missis and I, with regards The old Crayford Speedway stadium.

The site is now totally different to what it was then.

The argument is basically, where in relation to the site as it is now.

Was the old speedway stadium.

The wife says it was where the new stadium is now.

I say it was on the site of the Sainsburys store.

I have this vague probably wrong idea that the new stadium was built before the old one demolished.

There are obviously people on here more qualified than me slickmick, but I did read somewhere just recently (backtrack i think) that the Sainsburys store now stands in its place :unsure:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

The old stadium was demolished in 1985 and a new structure put up on part of the site, opening in September 1986, exclusively for greyhound racing.....The new stadium takes up 25% of the space that the old stadium occupied.....The rest of the land I guess became the supermarket.

New Crayford Stadium

Edited by Shadders

The new thing (can't call it a stadium..!! :angry: - it's a crock of proverbial!!) stands in what was (Bryn can correct me..) the pits area of what used to be the superb multi-use Crayford & Bexleyheath Stadium...

Sainsburys occupies most of the footprint of the old stadium site... :mad:

Yep, I can confirm that. The old stadium used to stand end on to the High Street and you used to turn into the car park down what is now the one way system toward Bexleyheath. If you can imagine a 'T' shape in plan view the Ladbrokes stadium now occupies the 'T' bar and the old stadium used to lie lengthways as the stalk of the 'T' and was about 4 times the size.

I miss the place still and it's where I first watched speedway as a 8 year old :(

Pip

Yep, I can confirm that. The old stadium used to stand end on to the High Street and you used to turn into the car park down what is now the one way system toward Bexleyheath. If you can imagine a 'T' shape in plan view the Ladbrokes stadium now occupies the 'T' bar and the old stadium used to lie lengthways as the stalk of the 'T' and was about 4 times the size.

I miss the place still and it's where I first watched speedway as a 8 year old :(

Pip

Yes indeed Pip (and my old mucker Parsnips too!)... Basically there's car parking for Sainsburys punters now where the turnstiles providing entrance to the old stadium were.

The Sainsburys store (not that I've ever gone into it!) is situated in part of the old speedway parking area - over to your left as you entered from London Road turning left from the Dartford direction just after The Town Hall and Timpsons Coaches.

The new thing (can't call it a stadium..!! :angry: - it's a crock of proverbial!!) stands in what was (Bryn can correct me..) the pits area of what used to be the superb multi-use Crayford & Bexleyheath Stadium...

Sainsburys occupies most of the footprint of the old stadium site... :mad:

What I don’t understand is from the aerial view there appears to be loads of open land behind the stadium. Why knock it down and rebuild when you could have put the super market on the land behind ?

I suppose it was done like that to do away with the speedway track. I saw Richard Davy riding there after he had started out at Saddlebow Road

What I don’t understand is from the aerial view there appears to be loads of open land behind the stadium. Why knock it down and rebuild when you could have put the super market on the land behind ?

I don't think Ladbrokes own(ed) that open land you refer too plus there would be the question of access to it as well.

Edited by Bryn

I don't think Ladbrokes own(ed) that open land you refer too plus there would be the question of access to it as well.

Railway land, I'd guess; or possibly owned by LBB...

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Can anyone settle an argument between the missis and I, with regards The old Crayford Speedway stadium.

I have this vague probably wrong idea that the new stadium was built before the old one demolished.

You might be interested to know that there's a small debate about pre-war speedway at Crayford on

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi.

I presume that it's the same venue that Bill Bridgett opened for speedway in 1968?

Edited by speedyguy

I know how big the new stadium is now, It's teeny tiny compared to the old stadium which was, Oh yeah, teeny tiny but on a large piece of land. thank you for your replies some of which have been useful. Not sure it helps in the race to the check out counter in busy periods.

I do miss the old stadium,took the wife for a meal in the restuarant on a wedding anniversary once. I don't know how I got away with it either.

Someone somewhere described it as a mini Wimbledon.

I don't make them wrong, there are few tracks which could match either venue for customer satisfaction.

But why oh why can we not get a track in London.

Slimmick, your not really Parsoles1829 are you????

I put this before reading Bryns and others replies, but they are spot on, wish the HIghwaymen would come back (What an Idela name for the new Sittingbourne team, Kent Highwaymen, it even sounds good.!

Slimmick, your not really Parsoles1829 are you????

I put this before reading Bryns and others replies, but they are spot on, wish the HIghwaymen would come back (What an Idela name for the new Sittingbourne team, Kent Highwaymen, it even sounds good.!

I thought - sadly - that Sittingbourne was on hold for 2009 at least. :unsure:

I thought - sadly - that Sittingbourne was on hold for 2009 at least. :unsure:

Oh gosh, we're not going to enter ANOTHER sequence of speedyguy being confused about which Sittingbourne is being discussed!!?? :blink:

Ken is referring to the new track at Central Park, which though happening too late for the 2009 League season is very much still on...!!!! :approve: