British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pirio Barre

Alan Hunt Trophy, Perry Barr 18-03-09

And whats with this new 7:30 start, I missed the first heat (it was 7:45 start time all last season).

It's been well documented. Where have you been?! It gives them an extra 15 mins before the curfew. Smart move. I always thought 19:45 was a bit odd to be honest.

And whats with this new 7:30 start, I missed the first heat (it was 7:45 start time all last season).

I know when the start time was 7.45 there wasnt an interval in alot of meetings so perhaps its been moved back because of that. Also last season because meetings went on too long they didnt run the Academy team the bulls every week after the meeting.

YAWN! 4 heats with passes and no other heats where you thought there was even a chance of a pass.

It's been well documented. Where have you been?! It gives them an extra 15 mins before the curfew. Smart move. I always thought 19:45 was a bit odd to be honest.

I've barely looked at the forum for months! Too many pointless posts, couldn't be bothered after the signings were announced.

Just to add on from my footnotes on the text updates.

DULL meeting with little passing.

Ulamek, despite one duff ride was easilty the pick.

Lyons looked the quickest until after his 3rd ride.

Parker got better as the meeting went on.

Well done to the top 3.

As for the rest -------

Ludvig - started with a decent 2nd and a win in heat 9 when he took advantage of getting daylight ahead of Howe who had to pick his way through the field.

Franc - was mediocre in the first half then looked superb in his last 2.

Piszcz - certainly tries and not outclassed.

Compton - did pretty well even tho he isnt really that behind any other riders considering he didnt miss anything when he `retired`. In the big heat 20 he needed to win to force a run off was left wanting.

Taylor - as expected completely outclassed.

Morris - always has a go.

Mroz - with the Brummies reserve pairing its going to be a VERY long season. Looked way off the pace.

Sweetman - first chance to see him and he looks like he could be useful.

Wright - a duffer in heat spoilt a chance of a top 3 finish. Had some pace without over impressing.

Howe - woeful gating - even taylor outgated him! Finished without a win which surprised me as was in the thick of the action.

Vissing - looked very fast and impressive. His fall cost him a potential rostrum place.

Barker - 2 falls - one very unlucky when leading. Looked to have the speed but looked a bit hit and miss.

Ksiezak - hardly set the track alight. Well need big improvements for the Brummies to have any chances this year as its looks top 2 and nothing else on this kind of showing.

Ulamek, despite one duff ride was easilty the pick.

Lyons looked the quickest until after his 3rd ride.

Parker got better as the meeting went on.

Well done to the top 3.

As for the rest -------

Ludvig - started with a decent 2nd and a win in heat 9 when he took advantage of getting daylight ahead of Howe who had to pick his way through the field.

Franc - was mediocre in the first half then looked superb in his last 2.

Piszcz - certainly tries and not outclassed.

Compton - did pretty well even tho he isnt really that behind any other riders considering he didnt miss anything when he `retired`. In the big heat 20 he needed to win to force a run off was left wanting.

Taylor - as expected completely outclassed.

Morris - always has a go.

Mroz - with the Brummies reserve pairing its going to be a VERY long season. Looked way off the pace.

Sweetman - first chance to see him and he looks like he could be useful.

Wright - a duffer in heat spoilt a chance of a top 3 finish. Had some pace without over impressing.

Howe - woeful gating - even taylor outgated him! Finished without a win which surprised me as was in the thick of the action.

Vissing - looked very fast and impressive. His fall cost him a potential rostrum place.

Barker - 2 falls - one very unlucky when leading. Looked to have the speed but looked a bit hit and miss.

Ksiezak - hardly set the track alight. Well need big improvements for the Brummies to have any chances this year as its looks top 2 and nothing else on this kind of showing.

Pretty well summed up I'd say.

One thing I will add though is I think we'll miss Phil Morris.

Edited by czechhero

Totally agree CH, Morris should have been in the 7. As for the meeting it was a typical opener with some riders simply finding their feet as so to speak.

I've barely looked at the forum for months! Too many pointless posts, couldn't be bothered after the signings were announced.

Should've checked the Brummies website. :wink:

For the most part that was boooooooooring.

Not a great meeting

YAWN! 4 heats with passes and no other heats where you thought there was even a chance of a pass.

One thing I hate is people commenting on meetings they weren’t at, and i was not at this meeting but in this case I feel I must make an exception.

I highlight the above comments as they are from neutral fans and best represent the feelings of a new comer to the sport and not a harden Brummies fan.

Would love to see the attendance figures for the meeting :approve:

I’m sure the 6000 that were there last night :rolleyes: will see this as a stunningly successful opening by the Birmingham promotion and will return all year long and can’t wait for next years opener. :wink:

When will this outdated promotion learn?

They ruined a golden opportunity to grab the public’s support for the new Birmingham team two years ago. Yet they still purist with this opening fixture which to any new comer expecting to see a team to support end up having to watching a bunch of individuals following each other round the track.

The promotion does a good job spreading the word of the Birmingham speedway team during the build up to the season but then toss it all away with an individual meeting. Birmingham should take a leaf out of Rye House’s book and start your season with a team fixture against lesser opposition that way insuring a handsome home victory and sending the fans home happy and wanting more.

And yes you may think this is a valuable practice for the home riders on there own track but at £15 people don’t want to see valuable practice they want to see there team winning.

And remember I only make these views as if I was new comer to the sport not harden supporter. But ask yourself as a new fan supporting a team, which is more likely to get you coming back next week Rye House’s victory on Sunday or a victory for a rider your never going to see again all season.

Pirio makes some good points, I'm not a great fan of Indiviual events myself, indeed at the old Perry Barr the second city trophy was the one fixture I used to give a miss and spend my hard earned down the pub instead.

I wouldn't say that the brum promotion are outdated having the Whacker trophy as a season opener, the fans are gagging for speedway after the winters break, so there is no better time to slip in a indi meeting which gives the team a chance to blow away the winter cobwebs and also gives any newcomers the chance of a runout against some decent opposition. I'm not sure having an opener against lesser opposition is a good idea myself as I have already said, I'm sure any newcomers to the team would appretiate a run out against a bit of class rather than a bunch of trundlers and winning by huge amounts is not what it's about in my opinion.

Having said that, give me team racing anytime :)

Kev.

Congratulations Seba, great win fully deserved...

Pretty well summed up I'd say.

One thing I will add though is I think we'll miss Phil Morris.

thanks czechhero :wink:

One thing I hate is people commenting on meetings they weren’t at, and i was not at this meeting but in this case I feel I must make an exception.

I highlight the above comments as they are from neutral fans and best represent the feelings of a new comer to the sport and not a harden Brummies fan.

Thanks Pirio. I always like to call it as i see it. Of course most hardened home fans usually disagree with your opinion usually but every opinion is valid - usually!

As for your other comments on starting the meeting with a meaningless open meeting.

On some levels i agree - think that most fans would prefer team action any day.

Although of course nothing can distract from the facts that the GP meetings (which are `open` meetings in a sense) attract the best crowds.

Plus you only have to look at how many meetings that are planned for the first 2 weeks of the season that seem to have been well recieved ans gettings fans excited about. From what ive heard or read the attendances at Swindon and Sheffield were good.

So i think it comes down to the actual open meeting itself that opens your season. If its just a filler then its likely not to suceed in the long run.

The Alan Hunt meeting im sure is destined to stay only because of the association.

I think the line up is always the key. I love PL open meetings that have elite riders in . Thinks its interesting for the PL fans and is likely to bring along elite fans also.

Think the line up at Brum was , for my liking, pretty weak.

And when you compare it to other open meetings you can attend or have been able to attend its one of the less attractive ones.

Maybe it was the track - i dont know - but the racing was by and large dull and mostly decided on the first lap.

Track preperations can always be difficult at this time of year . However saying that we witnessed several cracking heats at Wolves on Monday on a great track with very quick race times.

The key to me is always the track.

if i know that Brum will run a slick track next seasons opener its highly unlikely ill bother to go.

Plus having the Brummies 1-7 in the Brummies 1-7 is great for home fans but watching the likes of Ben Taylor and Mroz in an open meeting wouldnt exactly get me digging into my pockets again.

Just more thoughts :wink:

Edited by stevebrum

Good points SteveBrum, I think that the clue is in today's Evening Mail newspaper where Drury hints at having to work within a tighter budget, hence the lack of top riders (Ulamek apart) outside of the PL and even the team line up for this season, IMO that is.

Good points SteveBrum, I think that the clue is in today's Evening Mail newspaper where Drury hints at having to work within a tighter budget, hence the lack of top riders (Ulamek apart) outside of the PL and even the team line up for this season, IMO that is.

Thanks Moorski :wink: